Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

cnocbui wrote: »
    Some people get concerned because with a 14 day incubation period and infectious while asymptomatic, means when you do get a confirmed case, you have to be thinking back two weeks and where they have been and what they have been doing. Concerned people think ahead. The Germans have reportedly thrown in the towel on trying to trace infected people's movements and contacts.

I did the shopping on Tuesday and used hand gel after coming out of each store, was careful not to touch my face, and when i got home I wiped down everything I had bought with a detergent heavy sponge and then I microwaved the sponged and washed my hands again, for the nth time. I am assuming there are probably people in Ireland right now who have it and don't know it and some of them might have touched something I have to touch.

Go to any hospital and observe the amount of scummy bastards that don’t use the alcohol hand pumps either going in or out of the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

China’s National Health Commission reported 327 new confirmed cases and 44 new deaths as of Feb. 27.

Altogether, China has 78,824 confirmed cases and the death toll was at 2,788.

South Korea confirmed an additional 256 new coronavirus cases, bringing the country’s total to 2,022, according to its Centers for Disease Prevention and Control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wiped down everything I had bought with a detergent heavy sponge and then I microwaved the sponge

Pardon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

People on here are nuts! Panic is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

South Korea's cases are growing so much faster than they did in China. 2000 cases is only 2.5% of Chinas current cases but South Korea is 30x times smaller than China's population and these cases occurred in about 1/8th of the amount of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Some people get concerned because with a 14 day incubation period and infectious while asymptomatic, means when you do get a confirmed case, you have to be thinking back two weeks and where they have been and what they have been doing. Concerned people think ahead. The Germans have reportedly thrown in the towel on trying to trace infected people's movements and contacts.

I did the shopping on Tuesday and used hand gel after coming out of each store, was careful not to touch my face, and when i got home I wiped down everything I had bought with a detergent heavy sponge and then I microwaved the sponged and washed my hands again, for the nth time. I am assuming there are probably people in Ireland right now who have it and don't know it and some of them might have touched something I have to touch.

Christ.......

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

when i got home I wiped down everything I had bought with a detergent heavy sponge and then I microwaved the sponged and washed my hands again, for the nth time.

you microwaved your sponge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Useful interview here with Professor David Heymann, who led the WHO's response to Sars, and who is advising on the Coronavirus. Begins about 5 minutes in:

https://www.chathamhouse.org/file/how-concerning-new-coronavirus-outbreak?CMP=share_btn_tw
    First half is woeful. Questions from the audience start at 35mins. Hopefully this second half is better.

Edit: Nope, video is very skippable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

wakka12 wrote: »
    South Korea's cases are growing so much faster than they did in China. 2000 cases is only 2.5% of Chinas current cases but South Korea is 30x times smaller than China's population and these cases occurred in about 1/8th of the amount of time

Yeah, one thing to take into account though is the make up of those infected in SK, they are generally all part of the same church, who by the looks of it, are a bit in to doomsday.

I'd be more concerned if the numbers in SK were lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

People on here are nuts! Panic is a terrible thing.

Would you be more panicked if you were in the age range this could affect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, one thing to take into account though is the make up of those infected in SK, they are generally all part of the same church, who by the looks of it, are a bit in to doomsday.

Is it really mostly the church? In that case the SK figures are really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

theballz wrote: »
    Roll a joint and relax lads.

That's exactly what I'm doing. :D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

DrumSteve wrote: »

There are a lot in the church but still only makes up about 40% of new infections in SK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Lithuania joins the party with their first case - is this the first east European case? Edit forgot about the Romanian case

256 new cases in S Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

There will be no border in the Irish Sea!

fritzelly wrote: »
    Lithuania joins the party with their first case - is this the first east European case?

256 new cases in S Korea

No there was one in Estonia today
    Also Romania and Macedonia and Croatia

Isn't it strange how 8 weeks in so so many countries declare first case within 48 hours of each other?

No there was one in Estonia today
    Also Romania and Macedonia and Croatia

Isn't it strange how 8 weeks in so so many countries declare first case with 48 hours of each other?

Missed them, hard to keep up

Anyone know how many cases there are in Milan? A crazy amount of new cases globally seem to be linked back to it, must have a huge number of infected people

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Isn't it strange how 8 weeks in so so many countries declare first case within 48 hours of each other?

Not at all actually. As regards Europe, all it needed was spark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Of course they have be absolute madness tryna trace that, the rate at which people move now a days you'd be pissing in the wind tryna figure out whos where and has what.

The way i look at it is, im gonna keep on truckin as normal and if i get it ill deal with it then but other than that im not gonna live my life in fear of a overhyped flu for anyone in decent health.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not at all actually. As regards Europe, all it needed was spark.

The spark being to start testing people, meanwhile in ireland...
    It's been in Europe likely a month or more among the younger population and now spreading to those more vulnerable ergo the start of the testing

Diamond Princess was a test case, seems after testing negative they suddenly start testing positive weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Cupatae wrote: »
    Of course they have be absolute madness tryna trace that, the rate at which people move now a days you'd be pissing in the wind tryna figure out whos where and has what.

The way i look at it is, im gonna keep on truckin as normal and if i get it ill deal with it then but other than that im not gonna live my life in fear of a overhyped flu for anyone in decent health.

Listen - You dont have to run around in fear, but being lax isnt good either, if you get it you could be fine, but you may pass on to more vulnerable people - your family, friends, kids, your parents.

Taking basic precautions, and simply being aware of what may be around you could save your life. An "ah fúck it" attitude will get people in this country killed by the virus - its as simple as that and it needs to be drilled into peoples heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Right at your Door is another to watch.

We should make a list of movies to watch while locked in isolation

The happening. One of the best worst movies out there. Mark Walbergs finest moments of looking slightly scared and confused.

ardinn wrote: »
    Listen - You dont have to run around in fear, but being lax isnt good either, if you get it you could be fine, but you may pass on to more vulnerable people - your family, friends, kids, your parents..

This kinda talk while virtuous is pointless, you could be the most considerate in the world. It's gonna spread, you cannot isolate yourself from the world unless you are graces or own your own island

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Pardon?

Put a damp sponge in the microwave and blast it for 30 sec and it gets quite hot to the point the water in contact with any hypothetical viruses will reach boiling point and hopefully inactivate them.

It's a great way to clean surfaces too rather than wait for hot water to arrive at a tap just put it in the microwave damp and ten seconds later you have a quite warm sponge. It will also ruin any bacteria's day so if you have a whiffy sponge it kills the whiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

theballz wrote: »
    Christ.......

I have had influenza twice and had walking pneumonia the first time, and that was when I was in my 20's and was very fit. That was 'christ'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

wadacrack wrote: »
    Likely to infect 70% of this country in the next 18 mths, 20% seriously ill.If we dont slow it down the Death rate could be as high as 8% possibly. These look to be worst case scenario numbers I admit but entirely possible

Ah here. Please tell me you're trolling.

Do you have anything whatsoever to support those claims?

Total and utter scaremongering bull****.

So 70% of the population are going to get it, so 3.5 million people, of which 8% are going to die. So you're saying it's going to kill 280,000 Irish people. Good god.
    All those people laughing about it only affects old people sh*tting their pants now

Who are all these people? I haven't seen anyone laughing about it mainly being a threat to old people which is still the case. But nobody is laughing about it.
    Runaways wrote: »
    Get to the shops now or you’ll be back to this

Yes brilliant advice. Stir everyone into a frenzy so that they overbuy leaving shortages for others.

There is and will be enough of a flow of produce for everyone if ye chill the feck out.

Think I'm going to start making some moonshine for some home made sanitiser/refreshments. Should be good money in it once the shops run out from people buying a years supply in panic.
    bb12 wrote: »
    was in an aldi earlier today and the pasta shelves were almost completely empty apart from a few packets of lasagne sheets...a couple of young women behind me couldn't understand why there was none left "i don't understand why there is no pasta. aldi _always_ has pasta on the shelves. why are they empty?"
    they hadn't a clue what was going on.

Let me guess. You bought all the pasta? That will teach them for leaving it so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

This kinda talk while virtuous is pointless, you could be the most considerate in the world. It's gonna spread, you cannot isolate yourself from the world unless you are graces or own your own island

It is going to spread

But It will spread less, and slower, if your a little bit more considerate about what you do and who you cough on!

The point is a laddish attitude of 'I dont give a ****' and 'its gonna spread anyway' is moronic and actually quite worrying.

ardinn wrote: »
    It is going to spread

But It will spread less, and slower, if your a little bit more considerate about what you do and who you cough on!

The point is a laddish attitude of 'I dont give a ****' and 'its gonna spread anyway' is moronic and actually quite worrying.

Yep and if someone is deliberately careless and spreads it to someone in your family and kills then they should expect a very harsh response. Some people might just end friendships but who knows how some would react. Even if it wasn't you who spread it but was just simply careless

People getting upset over less , look at this nonsense:
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/coronavirus-argument-sparks-violent-brawl-between-australian-moms-police/ar-BBZwpe3

• Advertisement

You haven't read the thread
    It's only 2% death rate 99% of which are old people, your all panicking about nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement