Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

We got to keep the cogs moving, 40% of working people here are bust after missing 2 paychecks. It would be pandimonum on the streets.

helicopter money in some places:
    Hong Kong permanent residents aged 18 and above will each receive a cash handout of HK$10,000 (US$1,200) in a HK$120 billion (US$15 billion) relief deal rolled out by the government to ease the burden on individuals and companies, while saving jobs.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3052405/hong-kong-budget-hk120-billion-relief-package-includes
    This follows similar efforts by Macau, which will offer residents shopping vouchers, and Singapore, which will give people between $100 and $300 in a one-off payment. (Hat-tip to our favourite twitter troll @econhedge for alerting us.)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3050557/coronavirus-macau-will-give-residents-22-billion-patacas

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2020/02/helicopters-drop-money-on-virus-zombie-economies/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Graces7 wrote: »
    Pet food.
    The pet dog of a coronavirus patient in Hong Kong has been found to have a “low level” of the virus, the Hong Kong government said early Friday.

The dog tested “weak positive” for the coronavirus, the city’s agricultural and fisheries department said in a statement, without giving further details. Officials will carry out further tests to confirm whether the dog has really been infected with the disease, or if it was a result of environmental contamination of its mouth and nose.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-28/hong-kong-dog-found-to-have-low-level-of-coronavirus?srnd=premium-asia&sref=Tye1gQ0m

Explains the Chinese hosing streets with disinfectant. Explains why they were told to keep shoes outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is with the mask fiasco anyway. We have who telling us that they are useless, yet that aylward guy from the who, wore a mask during a press conference. So which is it? Effective or not?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,350 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Runaways wrote: »
    It’s nothing at all to do with greed. Pretty sure there aren’t even any laws allowing govt (or any Eu govt) to close borders/ports of entry. This is unprecedented remember
    I'm about to get on a plane from Manchester to Dublin. If they cancelled that what would I do? I'd head out of the airport to the railway station. I'll then head into Manchester on one train to catch another to Holyhead. When I get to Holyhead I would board a ferry. When that ferry gets to Dublin I would catch a bus to the airport (where my car is parked)

Does anyone really think it makes sense to create that much hassle and indeed that much exposure to me and others just to be seen to be doing something?

Those people in Northern Italy wanting to fly to Dublin will include many who live in Ireland. Is it really better that they catch a train down to Rome or even up to Paris to catch a plane there to get home?

There is little if any logic in putting barriers in place if it's like the Maginot Line and you can simply work your way round them.

If everyone stopped flights it may be different but can anyone believe they will stop all flights across the World for something that may (and I emphasise may) result in less deaths than seasonal flu?

People can cry out for such restrictions as much as they want in Ireland but it's not going to have much impact here or elsewhere doing so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

How did the lockdown in Dublin go overnight? Or are you still protecting your source?

Several people on this chat yesterday throwing out their breaking imminent news. They should really be getting bans. We may get news today who knows but this rubbish of "Beaumont and Vincent imminent news" and "lockdown in Dublin" Ffs. Clowns the lot of them. Let's just see what happens, plenty of people worried about this, no need to add fuel to that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have had influenza twice and had walking pneumonia the first time, and that was when I was in my 20's and was very fit. That was 'christ'.

I had flu in my 20s and it triggered M.E which I still endure over 50 years later and which robbed my career and any chance of family life. I was very fit then too.

I think a lot these days re the long term after effects of this virus. A virus infection is a well known trigger for M.E.

Fear and taking care are entirely different things. A simple cold now could kill me; I enjoy life and will take care to safeguard it.
    Why risk illness when a few sensible precautions can avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It’s nothing at all to do with greed. Pretty sure there aren’t even any laws allowing govt (or any Eu govt) to close borders/ports of entry. This is unprecedented remember.

And even if they did, you end up with mass panic on a truly big scale. And that’s a whole other nightmare situation you then have to handle when you actually don’t have to create it in the first place.

Less of the hysteria today please. We’ve enough of it.
    No hysteria just facts. Please don't attempt to backseat mod the thread.

Thanks, Luke

What is with the mask fiasco anyway. We have who telling us that they are useless, yet that aylward guy from the who, wore a mask during a press conference. So which is it? Effective or not?

seems to be they are effective if you have enough for everyone and not effective if you dont want your population buying them up thus leaving none for the medical staff

Basically an N99/P3 level mask is part of an ebola protection kit according to the WHO. So good masks can help.

Some large droplets would be blocked by even a scarf, but aerosols wouldnt so something over your face, even a scarf, helps *somewhat*.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Listening to various panelists on RTÉ radio 1 last night and what I took from it was that the HSE are as ready as they can be. They have been preparing contingency plans since December. All hospitals have held drills. Their problem is of course lack of surge capacity. Extra capacity can be created but it's going to mean heartache for many with cancellation of non urgent surgeries that would require an ICU stay. I felt a level of trust.

I'd rather be Irish than American with the **** show going on over there with lack of leadership and the bizarre mostly non medical task force headed by Pence. And that's before you take the misery of the uninsured into account. Unfortunately I've forked out a fortune to bring my family to NY in 13 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Steer55 wrote: »

Fox News.

Weak positive? Dafuq is that? It's a binary result, either you are or aren't positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

circadian wrote: »
    Fox News.

Weak positive? Dafuq is that? It's a binary result, either you are or aren't positive.

I don't think that's true. The result can be missing certain components of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I think it's mainly immature people refusing to accept what we are on the brink of. They came out in force yesterday to ruin what had been a decent discussion echo-chamber of panic-merchants and a good resource circle-jerk of misery-junkies to keep track of the news on the virus.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fox News.

Not necessarily. You can have various levels of interaction with some assays which need to be followed up with more definitive testing. Depends on the assay.

Listening to various panelists on RTÉ radio 1 last night and what I took from it was that the HSE are as ready as they can be. They have been preparing contingency plans since December. All hospitals have held drills. Their problem is of course lack of surge capacity. Extra capacity can be created but it's going to mean heartache for many with cancellation of non urgent surgeries that would require an ICU stay. I felt a level of trust.

I'd rather be Irish than American with the **** show going on over there with lack of leadership and the bizarre mostly non medical task force headed by Pence. And that's before you take the misery of the uninsured into account. Unfortunately I've forked out a fortune to bring my family to NY in 13 days.

I'm in the US also, I am not worried. Firstly, I live in a rural state with low population. But also, in the US, they have the resources to do anything in an emergency, like build extra capacity, that would not be possible in Ireland. Also if therpeutic treatments or vaccines are developed, you can be sure that the us will be front of the line with there political and monetary power, as well as the fact that they have a concentration of talent in pharma and medicine.

The big fear is if they get a bit too "martial law" on us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

What good is worrying about it going to do? All we can do is be vigilant especially if we have relatives, friends, or family members that would be more susceptible to severe effects from getting the virus. People in Ireland seem to love a bit of mass hysteria and scare mongering of the highest order and no doubt this post will get attacked by that very same group of people. All I'm saying is that worrying and stressing about the situation will do us no good at all.

Fox News.

You need to reread that article. ie where they think that trace came from! Dogs will eat anything and that will stay in their mouths. Does not even hint that a dog might have the virus..

I repeat; buy pet food when you go for supplies! Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

People in Ireland seem to love a bit of mass hysteria and scare mongering of the highest order

You only need look at the weather forum for that madness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Asked American pals about this and apparently regular flu shot is free or very cheap/affordable depending on where you are and they expect whatever vaccine that emerges for this to be the same.
    Let’s see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Reati wrote: »

When can we expect the bread and the milk to start disappearing off the shelves?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fritzelly wrote: »
    The spark being to start testing people, meanwhile in ireland...
    It's been in Europe likely a month or more among the younger population and now spreading to those more vulnerable ergo the start of the testing

Diamond Princess was a test case, seems after testing negative they suddenly start testing positive weeks later

They were all closed in with each other. They should have been taken off the boat and quarantined somewhere else. Infection spreads in confined place shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm in the US also, I am not worried. Firstly, I live in a rural state with low population. But also, in the US, they have the resources to do anything in an emergency, like build extra capacity, that would not be possible in Ireland. Also if therpeutic treatments or vaccines are developed, you can be sure that the us will be front of the line with there political and monetary power, as well as the fact that they have a concentration of talent in pharma and medicine.

The big fear is if they get a bit too "martial law" on us

Thats lovely but your first problem is thanks to your lack of real sick time available people are going to be far more likely to not take a day off work and spread it further if they get it. Then theres your health insurance nightmare where many simply will not be able to afford the treatment if they got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Asked American pals about this and apparently regular flu shot is free or very cheap/affordable depending on where you are and they expect whatever vaccine that emerges for this to be the same.
    Let’s see.

Yeah it's the one thing they manage well. Free with most insurance policies and only $40 (practically nothing by American standards without). Also they round to offices and do flu clinics for people working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They were all closed in with each other. They should have been taken off the boat and quarantined somewhere else. Infection spreads in confined place shocker.

But only 2 seats forward and backwards on a plane and not on buses/trains according to the HSE. They really are working to rule on this one, if it's not in the manual well then it doesn't happen.

When can we expect the bread and the milk to start disappearing off the shelves?

Many of us wise ones have stocked up already over the last weeks. pm life has been very active ;) And wisely so .

Panic buying is a sign that folk have not been thinking ahead. Or in total denial

Reati wrote: »

:confused: Skilled forecasting that covers all eventualities... saves a lot of trouble

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats lovely but your first problem is thanks to your lack of real sick time available people are going to be far more likely to not take a day off work and spread it further if they get it. Then theres your health insurance nightmare where many simply will not be able to afford the treatment if they got it.

Yes I would not like to be in the position of not affording health insurance. Just to assert, you do get emergency treatment, insurance or not in any hospital in the us, they don't just let people die, they may leave them bankrupt but they will treat them in an emergency. You are right though the us is a dreadful place for the working poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Even the 2 seats or rows forward/2 seats or rows back policy on a plane is dodgy. Think someone posted it in the older thread but they looked at the spread of SARS on a plane (to Canada, I think) and the position of those catching it from the infected person was quite random and not all confined to the immediate vicinity (ie, 2 rows in front or behind)

Found it...was a flight to Beijing. Look at Fig 2 in here*... https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa031349

*Yes, I know that COVID and SARS are different viruses, but this demonstrates that focusing only on the 2 rows in front or behind may be a bit shortsighted

• Thread surely part of the Boards hall of Fame already

Get your brennans bread and Dutch gold while stocks last

If they call another general election FG might get some seats back if they promise to deliver more hand sanitizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm about to get on a plane from Manchester to Dublin.

You probably shouldn't have told us that. Supermacs will be on lockdown before you touch ground again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement