Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

The only reason to stockpile some food is to protect yourself from the panic-merchants that will cause a run on the shops.

A self-fulfilling prophesy that they can smugly tell us they predicted would happen.

There is a good reason to have a modest stockpile. If you are unable to go beyond your front door for several weeks because of illness you need some basic nourishment in store, and hygiene items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Brain Dobson just got spanked by a UK doctor on RTÉ 1. "Thank god we aren't relying on MSM to tell us what's really going on" also praised twitter for getting news out early about how bad this is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Worldwide, the number of active cases and the death rate continues to drop (down to 7%) overall.

I do actually wonder how many cases are in Ireland, I'm presuming they won't announce the first case until someone ends up in hospital. Since a lot of the cases seem to be students, who would not fall into the at risk bracket, might be a little while yet before its announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Brain Dobson just got spanked by a UK doctor on RTÉ 1. "Thank god we aren't relying on MSM to tell us what's really going on" also praised twitter for getting news out early about how bad this is

Were we listening to a different Morning Ireland programme? What I heard him say is that scientists had shared info around the scientific community about the virus before it hit the MSM and that Twitter was a brilliant tool in allowing the scientific community around the world to share info. Is that a different interview to the one you are referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

The guy looks like a TY student they have in on work experience.

I'm wondering what they're getting paid.

Ok lads here's the deal, pandemic incoming, yous sit here and anyone feeling ill straight off a plane, possibly from a danger zone, will be straight to you first.

Do we get masks even?

No. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Were we listening to a different Morning Ireland programme? What I heard him say is that scientists had shared info around the scientific community about the virus before it hit the MSM and that Twitter was a brilliant tool in allowing the scientific community around the world to share info. Is that a different interview to the one you are referencing?

Exactly what I heard but that doesn't suit the narrative of some posters around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That woman in northern Ireland has been released from hospital.
    Has to self quarantine.
    Pending future tests and her condition.
    Source rte news BBC news.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Worldwide, the number of active cases and the death rate continues to drop (down to 7%) overall.

I do actually wonder how many cases are in Ireland, I'm presuming they won't announce the first case until someone ends up in hospital. Since a lot of the cases seem to be students, who would not fall into the at risk bracket, might be a little while yet before its announced.

It's actually in Ireland to be fair
    Granted Northern Ireland but still on the island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

That's what I heard as well.

Stick to the facts please Luke, and remember this is a whimsy free zone.

Deep deep denial in here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First case in Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

I'm wondering what they're getting paid.

Ok lads here's the deal, pandemic incoming, yous sit here and anyone feeling ill straight off a plane, possibly from a danger zone, will be straight to you first.

Do we get masks even?

No. Good luck.

I arrived in T2 last night around 9pm and they were gone home

ZX7R wrote: »
    That woman in northern Ireland has been released from hospital.
    Has to self quarantine.
    Pending future tests and her condition.
    Source rte news BBC news.

I’m glad her symptoms aren’t bad. No point in her being in a hospital environment taking up resources and possibly infecting others whose immune systems are comprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

wakka12 wrote: »
    First case in Mexico

Corona in Mexico - no surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

There is a good reason to have a modest stockpile. If you are unable to go beyond your front door for several weeks because of illness you need some basic nourishment in store, and hygiene items.

But can't a family member just leave a basket of food at your front door like? People are acting like there will be a big exclusion zone round their property and nobody can get near it without a drone.

https://t.co/QLQSjFynFo
    – Nigeria has recorded its first case of coronoavirus in Lagos

– An Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos has been confirmed to have the viral disease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

wakka12 wrote: »
    First case in Mexico

This could run riot in Mexico city

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Was the affected lady symptomatic during her journey home? They were praising her for doing the right thing and declaring herself ill to the authorities....when she got home. Now I don’t blame her at all for just wanting to get back to her own bed in her own home, with family and friends able to deliver things for her, keep an eye on her etc etc, but I thought the idea, if symptomatic, was to declare yourself possibly infected at the first first instance , eg to the cabin crew or to the officials in the ground at arrivals. Very difficult to do this on board a plane without being overheard and causing panic, but if the person was actively coughing I think people might be half-relieved that the situation was not being ignored.

It would gave meant that the lady would have been taken to a facility in Dublin, maybe sling with her travelling companions, and that all the passengers were herded into an area in the airport where whatever protocol is deemed appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

scotchy wrote: »
    This could run riot in Mexico city

A wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Denial about what?
    There’s one confirmed case.thats all you can go on until further confirmations and with any luck there will be none/ minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

On a side note, I don't think that I'll be posting in this thread any longer, as it's all a bit pointless tbh.

I see a lot of talk of people being ostriches or panic merchants.... The truth lies somewhere in the middle. There is no reason to panic but also this needs to be taken seriously. Hopefully this will usher in greater awareness of hygiene in future.

Take care and wash your hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Everybody on the flight has been contacted according to someone on the radio. She’s with the hse I think

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One thing I will say. If it were somehow related to livestock, we'd have had a plan to slow it down weeks ago.

We were great during foot and mouth and such and much of it is just making sure people employ common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

Weepsie wrote: »
    One thing I will say. If it were somehow related to livestock, we'd have had a plan to slow it down weeks ago.

We were great during foot and mouth and such and much of it is just making sure people employ common sense.

You can cull herds of animals.

You cannot cull planeloads of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What, exactly, are you expecting? Hold on, let's all rush out the door, down to the shops to buy up what's left of the bread and hand sanitizer. Look at me, I'm panicking. Does that comply? Forgive me, but for all their faults (of which there's many), I'll take my directive from the government and HSE, rather than some random poster on a forum. There's a lot of people spouting rubbish on here, but the ones with the self righteous tone are the worst of the lot imo. Almost as if they are hoping that the worst case scenario will transpire, just so that they can say "I was right all along". Leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Weepsie wrote: »

Are you suggesting a cull?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

ardinn wrote: »
    Listen - You dont have to run around in fear, but being lax isnt good either, if you get it you could be fine, but you may pass on to more vulnerable people - your family, friends, kids, your parents.

Taking basic precautions, and simply being aware of what may be around you could save your life. An "ah fúck it" attitude will get people in this country killed by the virus - its as simple as that and it needs to be drilled into peoples heads.

Ah will you get a grip on reality with your "WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" dramatics, just because im not sitting here rocking back and forwards praying i dont get what for me would be a basic flu since im in good health, doesnt mean im going around coughing in peoples faces or as you so dramatically put it my families...

Whats more likely to kill people is hyped up panic heads, worrying themselves half to death over something they prob wont even see someone get never mind get it themselves

All you can realistically do is wash your hands and watch for symptoms, these masks that alot of ejits are in a frenzy buying wont do **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No, of course I'm fecking not, but there was stuff put in place to prevent the spread of foot and mouth by humans.

Sterilised entrances, screening, very visible and vocal public information campaign, event cancellations and such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement