Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cupatae wrote: »
    Whats more likely to kill people is hyped up panic heads, worrying themselves half to death over something they prob wont even see someone get never mind get it themselves

Number of people dead from coronavirus: several thousand and rising.
    Number of people dead from panic about coronavirus. zero

And you talk about 'hyping up'???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

I don't remember ever seeing the stock market in such freefall as it is now.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

scotchy wrote: »
    Are you suggesting a cull?

Quarantine... is the more usual strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Numbers at 2337 in South Korea. So a further 600 since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Trump adminstration response is out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Number of people dead from coronavirus: several thousand and rising.
    Number of people dead from panic about coronavirus. zero

And you talk about 'hyping up'???

Clearly missed what i was getting at...good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Weepsie wrote: »
    No, of course I'm fecking not, but there was stuff put in place to prevent the spread of foot and mouth by humans.

Sterilised entrances, screening, very visible and vocal public information campaign, event cancellations and such.

Yes, we could do with someone like Joe Walsh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yurt! wrote: »
    Numbers at 2337 in South Korea. So a further 600 since yesterday.

Astounding. Was really worried about the numbers there

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Love how people try wind this Coronavirus back to Trump. The man is living rent free in some peoples heads and its pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Everyone can relax, the HSE have set up an emergency info desk at Dublin Airport

q5qzR4O.jpg

Are they reusing the signs they had from the swine flu days...?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Love the way people always try make it about trump. It’s almost like they’re being paid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weepsie wrote: »
    No, of course I'm fecking not, but there was stuff put in place to prevent the spread of foot and mouth by humans.

Sterilised entrances, screening, very visible and vocal public information campaign, event cancellations and such.
    All of these things started after the culling had already begun. Ultimately it's a fundamentally different issue.

Sterilised entrances will do feck all to reduce coronavirus spread. The public information campaign has been ramping up for a week and we've only had a confirmed case yesterday.

Events will be cancelled, but haven't yet because this has all been "what if" up to now.

The primary work now really needs to go into infection control and funding vaccine research. The incubation period of this means that it's basically impossible to contain, so it's going to continue spreading. One day it'll have reached every country, we can say "tada", and then life will move on with coronavirus being just another every day illness like 'flu or norovirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Out of Closed Cases ( Closed Cases are confirmed cases with an outcome , Either Fully recovered or Died ) the % of people who died has dropped to 7% today from 8 % yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

imfml wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm sure he has the necessary qualifications to hand out leaflets.

He looks like he was born within the last 20 years, so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why aren't airport staff given masks or other PPE?

seamus wrote: »
    Sterilised entrances will do feck all to reduce coronavirus spread. The public information campaign has been ramping up for a week and we've only had a confirmed case yesterday.

Handgel dispensers at entrances would help, both in terms of disinfecting hands AND a psychological message to people that this is something to take precautions against.
    I know we already have them in hospitals and some officesrsities but it needs to be ramped up.

Out of Closed Cases ( Closed Cases are confirmed cases with an outcome , Either Fully recovered or Died ) the % of people who died has dropped to 7% today from 8 % yesterday

That’s good news. Is there an overall figure of those closed cases that became infected again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

A village in Ireland is to make 2.7 million face masks next week, 1000 euro a pop probably if they are smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Serious question IF this thing gets really bad and we go onto lockdown for a bit how many of us will not have jobs to go back to?

The real question is...... how many jobs will have no one to go back to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Handgel dispensers at entrances would help, both in terms of disinfecting hands AND a psychological message to people that this is something to take precautions against.
    I know we already have them in hospitals and some officesrsities but it needs to be ramped up.
    I would've said these have remained in place since Swine Flu? Certainly my workplaces since then have always had them, and any (admittedly all offices) that I have visited through my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Runaways wrote: »
    Love the way people always try make it about trump. It’s almost like they’re being paid to do it.

CNN are talking about Trump and Coronavirus non stop.

NYT had an article yesterday calling it Trumpvirus and how it will become a hashtag.

Either way the US press clearly see this as opening to get the democrats back into power.

I think Trumps election chances are in trouble here personally. Its the story the democrats were looking for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the Independent this morning
    Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer in the Dept of Health, said: “The HSE is well-prepared and is working to inform any contacts the patient had in order to prevent transmission...

The HSE also conceded there is a risk of an outbreak in overcrowded hospitals which continue to battle the trolley crisis...

Suspect cases who need to be brought to hospital for a swab test can no longer be routinely brought by ambulance...

They will have to arrange their own transport with a relative.

This is because of the rising number of suspect cases due to more countries being added to the at risk list.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/first-coronavirus-case-confirmed-woman-travelled-to-north-by-train-after-arriving-at-dublin-airport-from-italy-38997601.html

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Those suspected cases, are we only doing one test on them? Cases elsewhere it took 2-4 tests to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

NYT had an article yesterday calling it Trumpvirus and how it will become a hashtag.

Either way the US press clearly see this as opening to get the democrats back into power.

I think Trumps election chances are in trouble here personally. Its the story the democrats were looking for this year.

You'd want to be a right sad eejit to listen to what CNN are churning out. Makes Fox seem balanced and unbiased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

How will this help the Democrats exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

First case in Nigeria... it's going to be chaos once it gets embedded in Africa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

40% to 70% of the world were predicted to catch the virus by Harvard Epidemology Professor Lipsitch. That figure was since revised to 40% to 70% of adults without effective controls.
    The population of earth is 7.5 billion. About 26% of people are under 15.
    If 40% of people over 15 were infected with a 2% fatality rate about 45 million people would die. Obviously these figures are pretty arbitrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is a really good source for information for those who want to actually understand how things are changing. This was highlighted on Tuesdays talk from

https://youtu.be/XF6AZv8P3i4

What this video, it’s really turning out to be so important to our understanding of the virus. It seems the reason china’s way of diagnosing cases changed was because they realised that CT scans were most reliable in diagnosis.

It seems like there are variable methods being used around the world to diagnose the Corona and they can be as unreliable as 30%. Blood tests I think he said are only 70% reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Any news on the media blackout this morning :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement