Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Do they know how the virus got into Italy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

True When Donald Trump and Sinn Fein get he most votes due to social media manipulation we are in scary times.

When soft headed fools believe such things you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I see the practicalities are already beginning to dawn on people - like what happens re pay in an outbreak. It feels like the government doesn't want to say anything lest it gets put on the hook for covering the bills, rather than preventing the outbreak. If people aren't paid if they go home to self isolate, they will come into work and spread the virus. The only thing that will motivate employers to pay their staff is if there's threats of personal injury claims from other staff who could catch it from people forced to come in to get paid. But then what about businesses that just can't afford it, say if trade is disrupted for them. I have a feeling government is gonna step back and wash its hands of everyone. Unless farmers get affected.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Bloody hell the welsh case is an Italian source too, it really is like that Italian area was a hotbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

this reinfection is really worrying me.

https://www.inkstonenews.com/health/hiv-mutation-makes-covid-19-more-infectious-sars-scientists-say/article/3052617

they called it Sars2 but it was clear very early it has some major differences to Sars1.
    this development is scary, possibility there it is more like HIV and staying forever in the body. would explain, the 'reinfections' which would be no reinfections but another flare up. Obviously speculation at this point, can't find any good discussion forums about it, are here still any people with some kind of professional knowledge? probably asking too much as the experts in the world don't know yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Drumpot wrote:
    What this video, it’s really turning out to be so important to our understanding of the virus. It seems the reason china’s way of diagnosing cases changed was because they realised that CT scans were most reliable in diagnosis.
    Drumpot wrote:
    It seems like there are variable methods being used around the world to diagnose the Corona and they can be as unreliable as 30%. Blood tests I think he said are only 70% reliable.
    CT scans can detect pneumonia or fibrosis in the lungs.

They're not going to be accurate at detecting those who are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

Testing isn't performed on blood tests. The sample type is sputum or swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

tara73 wrote: »

https://www.inkstonenews.com/health/hiv-mutation-makes-covid-19-more-infectious-sars-scientists-say/article/3052617

they called it Sars2 but it was clear very early it has some major differences to Sars1.
    this development is scary, possibility there it is more like HIV and staying forever in the body. would explain, the 'reinfections' which would be no reinfections but another flare up. Obviously speculation at this point, can't find any good discussion forums about it, are here still any people with some kind of professional knowledge? probably asking too much as the experts in the world don't know yet...
    There is no evidence for this, and this is just a scare story until it is confirmed. A few weeks ago everyone thought asymptomatic people were spreading like crazy, and this isn't the case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

pc7 wrote: »
    Bloody hell the welsh case is an Italian source too, it really is like that Italian area was a hotbed.

It has reached as far as Finland and Wales from Italy. Hard to believe there's just one case in NI floating around. Luck of the Irish if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What's the story with the Welsh, I have to be reminded every year that the place exists.

Strange place. They need to break away from the English

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Increasingly likely that St. Patrick’s Day celebrations and other major events will be cancelled or curtailed. This was the case during the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001.
    If anyone remembers that period there were daily emergency meetings, news conferences and dedicated TV news programmes about foot and mouth each night

Massive Garda presence, disinfecting at border and ports. This was for a bovine disease.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Only fair for eh, clarification purposes

Yes, the poor man looked, well em, I needed to be sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

celt262 wrote: »
    Do they know how the virus got into Italy ?

Its mutated. Latest electron microscope image of the virus.

virus.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I see the practicalities are already beginning to dawn on people - like what happens re pay in an outbreak. It feels like the government doesn't want to say anything lest it gets put on the hook for covering the bills,
    The government are going to have to open the chequebook, and soon.

If people are quarantined, the government should be paying.

Good companies are going to fail if demand collapses, and they should be propped up until this passes. Similarly the travel, tourism sectors are going to be badly affected.

The ECB could help here by providing ultra-cheap money to governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nijmegen wrote: »
    It has reached as far as Finland and Wales from Italy. Hard to believe there's just one case in NI floating around. Luck of the Irish if so.

Reached Nigeria from Italy to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

hmmm wrote: »

Good companies are going to fail if demand collapses, and they should be propped up until this passes. Similarly the travel, tourism sectors are going to be badly affected.

Money can’t get much cheaper. There is very little stimulus left in Europe or the states.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Its mutated. Latest electron microscope image of the virus.

virus.png

Looks delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

tara73 wrote: »

It could still be the antibodies(may take weeks to clear) that are present without any symptoms/ Thats the opinion of one expert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Said it weeks back this would happen and a plan shoould be put in place for employees left out of pocket as well as small business owners. Since then as expected zero has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

Now that it's in Northern Ireland I hope the Gardai are keeping an eye on Slab Murphy so that he doesn't f*** up the country this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Would you lot **** off with your political talk!

Been thinking that myself, thought this thread was about coronavirus. my mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

pc7 wrote: »
    I got caught with a link saying first reports and when you click it it was quite rude :o I had to click a second time to be sure :D

me too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

There is no evidence for this, and this is just a scare story until it is confirmed. A few weeks ago everyone thought asymptomatic people were spreading like crazy, and this isn't the case either.

that's what I said in my post.

I asked people who work in the field and might have something of value/professional aspects to say to what I wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

This is gas

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah it's all his fault :pac:

Rent free

Awww are people picking on your friend

The Death Cruise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

88e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Really ?

I'd like to believe this, but how else can the massive explosions in S. Korea and Italy be explained ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Awww are people picking on your friend

Lol if you'd read my posts you'd see i can't stand the big buffoon, but hey your new so i'll cut you some slack ;)

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Really ?

I'd like to believe this, but how else can the massive explosions in S. Korea and Italy be explained ?

Partly the most problematic is said to be those with no symptoms spreading the virus. That's what I read unless someone has newer information.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement