Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

markodaly wrote: »
    Nonesense. If you are a full-time worker, you do get sick days.

There is no legal obligation for an employer to pay sick pay in Ireland. If you are out of work for a week (more than 6 days) you can claim Illness benefit from the welfare office but it is an incredibly harsh system, especially for the lower paid workers in jobs with minimal working conditions who can least afford to lose a whole week of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fr336 wrote: »
    The posts criticising those worried about this as "panicking" and "over the top" are getting REALLY boring. Why not just ignore this thead, and do something else when it's on the news etc? The fact is you don't know what will happen, none of us do. Do you really think those you accuse of panicking don't really really hope you are right? For the millionth time, it isn't the flu.

This is a general discussion thread for the virus, not one exclusively for panic.

The WHO are making comparisons to the flu. For the moment, I'll take their opinion on things over an unverified YouTube report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am still not too worried myself. If 10,000 people suddenly die in a week around the world I will start to think about things.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

As are the 40 flights from Milan to London. Not to mention the flights from Milan to Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Birmingham etc. Along with flights from Venice and other Italian airports.

Yep, virus is everywhere now
    Italy represents our sample test for the rest of Europe
    They are showing to us what the reality is like when you start running tests

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a general discussion thread for the virus, not one exclusively for panic. The WHO are making comparisons to the flu. For the moment, I'll take their opinion on things over an unverified YouTube report.

They're not equating it to the flu though are they?
    Or using comparisons with the flu to argue for reduced concern about the virus?
    The flu is a point of reference for its spread etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

a hoax/media scam?!

i

China admitting it has locked down a city of 11 million people. Towns in Northern Italy locked down. A liner locked down. A hotel in Tenerife locked down.

I’ll leave it to people to draw their own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Going into town on my break to get masks and such, I've largely avoid this whole thing up until a few days ago when it started turning up in places like Italy, Iran and so on.

They should have shut down international travel via air from China long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This is a general discussion thread for the virus, not one exclusively for panic.

The WHO are making comparisons to the flu. For the moment, I'll take their opinion on things over an unverified YouTube report.

I've never mentioned YouTube videos. The WHO have spent the past few days skirting around the issues of whether to call this a pandemic or not. Their press conferences are basically saying "we don't want to call it a pandemic yet, we cling to hope, but be ready". I don't remember this with swine flu or sars. Remind me of when the WHO were holding daily briefings on the flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm not posting up my contract or saying where I work but that is how it is. One of them in and out on the Luas to Sandyford the other drives. One other just called in sick in fairness to them.

I don't get paid for sick days either nor in my job before this one, it's in a lot of contracts these days. I still need a cert for 3 or more days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

fr336 wrote: »
    I've never mentioned YouTube videos. The WHO have spent the past few days skirting around the issues of whether to call this a pandemic or not. Their press conferences are basically saying "we don't want to call it a pandemic yet, we cling to hope, but be ready". I don't remember this with swine flu or sars. Remind me of when the WHO were holding daily briefings on the flu?

Again, I think the WHO are being like this due to the long incubation period of COVID.

Really, the whole world just needs to lock itself away for about 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

The WHO are also trying to protect us from the consequences of irrational panic. In fact they are not saying anything wrong. The choice of words and the choice of key indicators have an impact on people perceptions. Sugarcoating might be the most appropriate way to communicate the state of things at the moment
    But the actual data is there for everyone to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Going into town on my break to get masks and such, I've largely avoid this whole thing up until a few days ago when it started turning up in places like Italy, Iran and so on.

You'll be lucky to get masks anywhere now even useless dusk masks are sold out in hardware stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Do you know where would be best to get the masks?

Might get a few myself in the likely event that it lands on our shores, now that it's spreading fast within the EU.

You're probably about a month too late to get masks anywhere now.

Should I cancel my Trio to Greece in April??
    Iran/Turkey/Italy/Tenerife... its only a matter of time before its everywhere really!

Don’t you go jinxing Greece! I’m going on May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

You'll be lucky to get masks anywhere now even useless dusk masks are sold out in hardware stores.
    GooglePlus wrote: »

Might get a few myself in the likely event that it lands on our shores, now that it's spreading fast within the EU.

If I find any I'll post up here where I got them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

A thought: could we have a sticky with factual information as it develops about the nature of this virus and links to reputable sources for spread etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's probably a good opportunity to make a bit of money from the irrational panic.

Some good value Asian stocks available.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    China admitting it has locked down a city of 11 million people. Towns in Northern Italy locked down. A liner locked down. A hotel in Tenerife locked down.

I’ll leave it to people to draw their own conclusions.

I'd say WHO have alerted governments about the high mortality rate, they may have run mathematical models to predict the impact of it in the long term. Then it was agreed on how and what to communicate this to the people
    The high alert is a clear sing that this is no flu-like desease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This self isolation guff is laughable. Someone comes back from let's say Iran and is back in work the next day. They don't get paid if they ring in and say "Eh the government told me to stay home so im not coming in" so they go into work because they can't pay the rent otherwise.

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/02/17/alternative-coronavirus-masks-max-siedentopf/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I don't get paid for sick days either nor in my job before this one, it's in a lot of contracts these days. I still need a cert for 3 or more days though.

I don't get payed for sick days either and its a
    worry living in Japan.

Masks are mandatory now and any sign of symtoms we have to take 14 days off immediately. Would be fairly crippling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If I find any I'll post up here where I got them!

If you can’t find any, and really want some, try Amazon for the half face respirator masks. They look fugly, but if comes to a point where you need to wear one how it looks will be the last of your worries. They’re about £20 on Amazon now, the filters will last a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's probably a good opportunity to make a bit of money from the irrational panic.
    Some good value Asian stocks available.

$1trillion was wiped off global stocks yesterday, give it another few days/weeks/months/seasons until it hits close to rock bottom.

Perhaps the best money-maker this month, might be to befriend a lady with a very fast sewing machine and rolls of spandex. Place an order for 1,000 double layer face masks (the washable re-usuable type), not proper N95s which aren't really 'use-again' products due to their mixed fibers.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    A thought: could we have a sticky with factual information as it develops about the nature of this virus and links to reputable sources for spread etc?

Not everyone can handle factual information in here ;)
    Anyway, most numbers and key indicators are on Worldometer

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Open the picture. These are a handful of masks from an actual hospital here in Dublin.
    These masks aren’t available in the shops.

These masks aren’t even good for holding out the common cold, they’re merely to prevent against splashes of bodily fluid.
    They’re only viable for four hours and after that become more germ ridden than a tv remote. Which are filthy by the way.

Point of the story is there are almost no masks available commercially Over the counter that will prevent an infection from such a virus.

Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There's plenty of masks online but it'd be handy to just pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

For all you in running around in sandwich boards & giving out about the HSE:

How deadly is the coronavirus?
    Based on data from 44,000 patients with this coronavirus, the WHO says:

81% develop mild symptoms
    14% develop severe symptoms
    5% become critically ill
    The proportion dying from the disease, which has been named Covid-19, appears low (between 1% and 2%) - but the figures are unreliable.

Thousands are still being treated but may go on to die - so the death rate could be higher. But it is also unclear how many mild cases remain unreported - so the death rate could also be lower.

To put this into context, about one billion people catch influenza every year, with between 290,000 and 650,000 deaths. The severity of flu changes every year.

Stop comparing influenza with nCoV, it's ridiculous, two different categories and if nCoV would be as widespread as the influenza is, it would kill at least 60 to 100M per year. They're different

I never bought masks but I’ve got a welding face protector in the garage

• Advertisement

This self isolation guff is laughable. Someone comes back from let's say Iran and is back in work the next day. They don't get paid if they ring in and say "Eh the government told me to stay home so im not coming in" so they go into work because they can't pay the rent otherwise.

People can work form home these days, I haven't been at the office in 2 weeks
    A lot of companies can implement that. Other types of jobs will go ahead as normal, if you can't lock down everybody at least you can limit the spread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement