Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have always maintained that to really tackle climate change we need to have serious negative economic growth across the world i.e. less consumerism, less needless travel, less industrial activity, less energy needs, less goods transport, less food variety/imports, less cars etc etc. Of course no government will ever admit this or implement this. Ironically the new coronavirus will reduce economic growth and probably have a positive impact on the environment. I even saw people on this thread reluctant to order anything from China.
    A virus might cull the numbers considerably, that will help in the fight against climate change. Every cloud..... silver lining etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just on Newstalk - a company in Limerick makes a million masks a week with a 45 person workforce. They are scaling up to 24/7 and 2.75 million masks a week. 45 people seems like good insurance against this kind of thing right. Maybe we`ll learn about some important things about insurance against supply chains based in other countries

What is the name of the company?

That is a huge amount of masks within that time period. You sure that's correct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

antodeco wrote: »
    Sure they said they will only be contacting people who sat "within 2 rows" of them. Because obviously thats how planes work.

Sick Person buys a drink and hands over cash to steward.
    Steward visits vast majority of people. They are now possibly infected
    Sick Person goes to the toilet.
    Other people use that same toilet and return to their seat. They are now possibly infected
    Sick Person, whilst putting their bag in the overhead bin, moves your bag. You are now possibly infected

I really hope they contacted everyone on that flight, and everyone who got the train she got on. Assuming everyone was registered and pre-paid.

Otherwise if they are stick to the "2 row" rule, thats probably about 10 people.

Lady from HSE on the radio said everyone on the flight has been contacted and categorized in terms of risk and proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have always maintained that to really tackle climate change we need to have serious negative economic growth across the world i.e. less consumerism, less needless travel, less industrial activity, less energy needs, less goods transport, less food variety/imports, less cars etc etc. Of course no government will ever admit this or implement this. Ironically the new coronavirus will reduce economic growth and probably have a positive impact on the environment. I even saw people on this thread reluctant to order anything from China.

lol - good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Unless they were reservations . Who sat in her train seat from Belfast to Dublin. It would be interesting if they could tell?

The Dept of Health talking heads on TV refused not say if it was the train or the bus or even what day she traveled on.

This complete lack of transparency may spook anyone who traveled the route recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

A virus might cull the numbers considerably, that will help in the fight against climate change. Every cloud..... silver lining etc.

Fingers crossed youre one of them. I think your carbon footprint is to large comrade. Off to the Soylent Green machine with you.

all old people too... boon to the state's health and pension balance sheets..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

YFlyer wrote: »

That is a huge amount of masks within that time period. You sure that's correct?

3174 masks per person per day if it's a 7 day week. Probably doable as I reckon the process is heavily automated.

Thats the point.

The Independent states
    Passengers on the Dublin to Belfast train in which she travelled have also been notified

Sounds like we're giving Chinese State broadcasts a run for their money. As if anyone believes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

YFlyer wrote: »

Maybe Irema?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Dept of Health talking heads on TV refused not say if it was the train or the bus or even what day she traveled on.

This complete lack of transparency may spook anyone who traveled the route recently.

They said they contacted those who needed to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

lawred2 wrote: »

Yes. That's why the gubberment are sitting on their hands on this one versus foot and mouth disease. They don't have to pay compensation for dead people, only dead cows.
    *takes off tin foil hat and resumes normal operations*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

antodeco wrote: »
    Sure they said they will only be contacting people who sat "within 2 rows" of them. Because obviously thats how planes work.

Sick Person buys a drink and hands over cash to steward.
    Steward visits vast majority of people. They are now possibly infected
    Sick Person goes to the toilet.
    Other people use that same toilet and return to their seat. They are now possibly infected
    Sick Person, whilst putting their bag in the overhead bin, moves your bag. You are now possibly infected

I really hope they contacted everyone on that flight, and everyone who got the train she got on. Assuming everyone was registered and pre-paid.

Otherwise if they are stick to the "2 row" rule, thats probably about 10 people.

Bit surprised airline staff haven't kicked up about serving on flights in and out of North Italy. I'd be pretty nervous about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

GooglePlus wrote: »
    3174 masks per person per day if it's a 7 day week. Probably doable as I reckon the process is heavily automated.

They'll surely be taking on more staff if they're to run 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's bizarre. It's almost like nobody knew about what had happened in China and just thought fcuk it sure be grand like. I guess people are very self centred even up until yesterday people moaning about the rugby match being cancelled.

yes, the german health minister speaking on the main 8 o'clock news yesterday clearly was gasping..he rambled about there are plans!, useless theoretical written out plans probably, put in place in every hospital... then he said there are no masks available anymore in whole Germany as they were all sold to China...now there are plans (again plans..) to confiscate anything to be exported...... whole mess it is already.
    hand sanitisers are starting to be sold out too here..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MadYaker wrote: »

Their basis for "who needs to be contacted" seems a bit arbitrary.

How is someone who sat 2 rows behind the infected person more at risk than someone who used the same toilet, given that they know it can be transmitted surface to surface...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

lawred2 wrote: »

For those smug millenials//zoomers with the ‘I’m all right Jack’ attitude who make disgusting comments here about “culling the herd of the coffin dodgers” etc. and “Shure it’s OK for the older people to get the virus and die”

Viruses tend to change and mutate with time and although they usually become more benign when they do… with a tiny mutation in their RNA they could equally become more lethal for ANY age group.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, the german health minister speaking on the main 8 o'clock news yesterday clearly was gasping..he rambled about there are plans!, useless theoretical written out plans probably, put in place in every hospital... then he said there are no masks available anymore in whole Germany as they were all sold to China...now there are plans (again plans..) to confiscate anything to be exported...... whole mess it is already.

That's mad, I was delighted to hear the HSE had such big orders of masks/gloves etc. they did mention procurement issues but over came them.

I think it’s time to manufacture homemade hand sanitizer and set up an eBay shop.

Who’s got the recipe? I was only assigned food in the other thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's bizarre. It's almost like nobody knew about what had happened in China and just thought fcuk it sure be grand like. I guess people are very self centred even up until yesterday people moaning about the rugby match being cancelled.

It’s been accepted that the match has been cancelled, the only argument I could see was that the flights that’ll bring the Italian supporters over (and they will come) are still running. This makes it a bit futile.

You do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about rugby though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

HSE now running ads in Facebook

If you have returned from a country or region with spread of COVID-19 (#coronavirus) visit our website for advice.

http://bit.ly/2VmlfjY

• Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

How could they tell. A good percentage of people would buy tickets at the machines some with cash.

Always use your knuckles for those machines or opening Dart doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Fingers crossed youre one of them. I think your carbon footprint is to large comrade. Off to the Soylent Green machine with you.

Hope you choke on me. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Cupatae wrote: »
    This is the most balanced post on this thread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

For those smug millenials//zoomers with the ‘I’m all right Jack’ attitude who make disgusting comments here about “culling the herd of the coffin dodgers” etc. and “Shure it’s OK for the older people to get the virus and die”

Viruses tend to change and mutate with time and although they usually become more benign when they do… with a tiny mutation in their RNA they could equally become more lethal for ANY age group.

Yeah there has been a fair share of that on here and on social media in general last few weeks. Despicable actually.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any news on the media blackout this morning :P
    Apologies but we are not at liberty to disclose...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭josip

tara73 wrote: »

Was he gasping or grasping?
    It's an important difference in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

celt262 wrote: »
    Do they know how the virus got into Italy ?

AFAIK it's been linked to a Chinese couple from Wuhan who went on holiday to Italy on January 23rd. Just before Wuhan was locked down. They're currently being treated in Rome.

Link here. It's behind a paywall so I've c & p'd relevant parts of the article.
    The coronavirus outbreak spreading across Europe has been linked to two Chinese tourists who fell ill with it in Italy in January after flying from Wuhan, where the epidemic began.

A senior Italian health official investigating the origin of Italy’s outbreak, which has killed 11 and infected over 300 and is now infecting people across the continent, told The Times there was a “concrete hypothesis” that the Chinese couple were the cause.

“Right now it’s the only certain piece of hard data we have,” said Marino Faccini, the head of Milan’s infectious diseases team, which is investigating the outbreak.

Mr Faccini noted that the couple — a man aged 66 and his 65 year old wife — visited Parma in Italy during their January visit, taking them close to 10 towns in Lombardy which have been placed in quarantine after hundreds of cases emerged there at the end of last week. Both Chinese tourists are from Wuhan, where the virus first emerged.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »

There are no passenger lists on buses or trains.

With their total lack of transparency (about even the date) they are potentially spooking anyone who went from Dublin Airport to Belfast recently on public transport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement