Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I think it’s time to manufacture homemade hand sanitizer and set up an eBay shop.

Who’s got the recipe? I was only assigned food in the other thread.

Two thirds isopropyl alcohol and one third aloe Vera gel in a spray bottle. You can get iso in a pharmacy or in bulk on adverts.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/isopropyl-99-9-1l-rubbing-alcohol-ipa-lab-grade/16674863

Aloe is half price in Holland and Barrett.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/dr-organic-aloe-vera-gel-60083612

Boots have 100ml spray bottles for €2

https://www.boots.ie/boots-travel-spray-bottle-100ml-10212539

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

I don't know anyone who is saying the covid19 is the most dangerous virus that exists. The polarising of points in this discussion just to get the message across is poorly done.

The comparison of the death total of Covid-19, which was confined to a province in China for the first month of its existence, until the past two weeks, with influenza is particularly insulting.

The micro impact for someone in their 30s getting the virus is minimal. The micro impact on the elderly and immune-supressed will be traumatic. The macro impact on health services, supply chains, improvished urban populations and unstable regions is potentially catastrophic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Good lad dougy.
    Finger on the pulse as always.
    10 pages back lad and call it payback.
    😂😂

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

People getting offended by a flyer... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Really looking forward to when I’m on the other side of all of this and I am watching a documentary about it and having a beer......though will they still be making documentaries in the zombie apocalypse ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

It’s a particularly patronising poster, insulting the intelligence of so many people.

COVID-19 - currently stands 23 times more deadly than the common flu. This could either increase or decrease as time passes.
    That Adrian Dunne flyer should be withdrawn, it's hugely misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Once the shops haven't sold out of bread, no real panic has set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The comparison of the death total of Covid-19, which was confined to a province in China for the first month of its existence, until the past two weeks, with influenza is particularly insulting.

The micro impact for someone in their 30s getting the virus is minimal. The micro impact on the elderly and immune-supressed will be traumatic. The macro impact on health services, supply chains, improvished urban populations and unstable regions is potentially catastrophic.

Its just embarrassing at this stage. Ireland AM will probably has a physic in tomorrow to predict what will happen

Once the shops haven't sold out of bread, no real panic has set in.
    Enough with the bread and iodine jokes already jeeze - pop up here every page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

turbbo wrote: »
    Enough with the bread and iodine jokes already jeeze - pop up here every page.

Jaysus thanks for the reminder , I think I still have a few of those iodine tablets.

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    People getting offended by a flyer... lol

It's more egregious than listening to arrogant spoofing like "it's just a bad cough " from the likes of Ivan Yates, everybody at least knows he's full of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 28 February

2020novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-28-feb-2020.PNG?itok=4illstBK

The number of proven Covid19 daily cases has tripled overnight in Europe

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

The micro impact for someone in their 30s getting the virus is minimal. The micro impact on the elderly and immune-supressed will be traumatic.

Any link to this? I've heard the same via word of mouth but have never read anything very convincing around ages - other than under 9s being very low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1233318830140805120

Seems like the wack-a-mole response to it. We chase down these people afterwards. Meanwhile we have people traveling here daily from the highly infected areas. That's not containment in my eyes. It's only a matter of time before we get higher numbers here. That's the reality, I don't think many can dispute that point. That's the disadvantage of having free movement (EU) of travel during an outbreak of this sort. This is when co-living / too high of a density living seems like an absurd policy to have (and being implemented by government).

What still concerns me is that after years of doctors and medical staff complaining of being understaffed and under resourced (despite the insanely high and ever increasing health budget), we have ZERO capacity to deal with an outbreak of this type of scale. The figures still report that 80% are mild which is great for the majority of us but the 20% that are severe to critical requiring oxygen/ICU etc, we have basically nothing there for them.

What also still concerns me is the reports of the 14% reinfection (or is it a relapse?) from the Chinese (and recently the Japanese case). If we see more research on high mutation rates and the lung damage reports and other factors caused by this virus coming out week after week then a vaccine could become obsolete by the time it rolls out. Then it becomes part of our cold and flu season and well....

Considering all the above...then surely our response should be better considering there's ZERO capacity to cater for this 20%. Being an island we should be able to contain it better with temp arrangements, which means restricting travel from this high risk areas for 2-3 weeks. The whole world will be experiencing economic fallout from this event regardless, we will be facing a recession in the coming months, we should take the extra hit as well to ensure we give the best possible outcomes of survival for this 20%. I know too many people with pre-existing respiratory conditions and my elderly parents. I'd like to think I value human life over trade & tourism for a few weeks.

I don't know anyone who is saying the covid19 is the most dangerous virus that exists. The polarising of points in this discussion just to get the message across is poorly done.

You’ve said it. Due caution is needed, skepticism too for many sources of information, including our own numpties doling out conflicting advice like the woman doctor in earlier who basically said that members of same household of affected patients need to self isolate, them contradicting this in another sentence. A lot of what is being said is highly insulting to reasonable people’s intelligence. Of course information needs to be conveyed in a positive and proactive way to maintain the morale of the nation and not stir up panic. It’s a very fine line, a tightrope really, but there are experts in communication who should be on top of this.

Flights to danger zones should be halted - Ryanair et al obviously have the Gov. by the balls.

a naggin of vodka works the same

a drop for the hands and a drop for the mouth

I have a nearly full bottle of tequila at the back of my drinks cupboard. The lid was lost years ago so it’s never been touched since. Does alcohol evaporate?

You’ve said it. Due caution is needed, skepticism too for many sources of information, including our own numpties doling out conflicting advice like the woman doctor in earlier who basically said that members of same household of affected patients need to self isolate, them contradicting this in another sentence. A lot of what is being said is highly insulting to reasonable people’s intelligence. Of course information needs to be conveyed in a positive and proactive way to maintain the morale of the nation and not stir up panic. It’s a very fine line, a tightrope really, but there are experts in communication who should be on top of this.

All of that is because of "Business" ie. the almighty $!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Any link to this? I've heard the same via word of mouth but have never read anything very convincing around ages - other than under 9s being very low risk.

This is about five days out of date, but still

AGE, DEATH RATE
    80+ years old 14.8%
    70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%
    0-9 years old no fatalies

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Flights to danger zones should be haltedanair et al obviously have the Gov. by the balls.

What about the highway?

• Advertisement

Under 9s zero risk as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have a nearly full bottle of tequila at the back of my drinks cupboard. The lid was lost years ago so it’s never been touched since. Does alcohol evaporate?

No, but it's likely only 40% so risky for disinfectant purposes...

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html
    If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
    Why? Many studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers 16,20. Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol 1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and 2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Do ten shots of it and if you feel the same the answer is yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Flights to danger zones should be halted - Ryanair et al obviously have the Gov. by the balls.

Obviously you say?

There couldn't possibly be a thousand other reasons to keep them going like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 28 February

2020novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-28-feb-2020.PNG?itok=4illstBK

The number of proven Covid19 daily cases has tripled overnight in Europe

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

:-(

Are the Irish not in favor of burden sharing in Europe anymore? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

gabeeg wrote: »
    This is about five days out of date, but still

AGE, DEATH RATE
    80+ years old 14.8%
    70-79 years old 8.0%
    60-69 years old 3.6%
    50-59 years old 1.3%
    40-49 years old 0.4%
    30-39 years old 0.2%
    20-29 years old 0.2%
    10-19 years old 0.2%
    0-9 years old no fatalies

Boomer-Flu confirmed. Lazy commie zoomers inherit the world and wreck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

As it was about 10 pages back

10 pages back? ain't nobody got time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

That flyer lol.

Someone is getting paid for that btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Pointless, say I'm in Milan and need to go to Dublin, I'll just get a train to Rome or elsewhere instead and fly from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement