Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

lobbylad wrote: »
    Pointless, say I'm in Milan and need to go to Dublin, I'll just get a train to Rome or elsewhere instead and fly from there.

How is reducing the numbers pointless? Ever hear of probability?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What also still concerns me is the reports of the 14% reinfection (or is it a relapse?) from the Chinese (and recently the Japanese case).
    I'd take that 14% claim with a ladle of salt tbh.
    I'd like to think I value human life over trade & tourism for a few weeks.
    It's not just a few weeks though if we're being realistic. If, in an effort to maintain containment, we were to shut down all ports and airports, it would be something we'd have to keep up for months, if not years. The infections travels from individual to individual with up to two weeks between presentation. Like a really slow-burning fire.

If we were to just shut down travel from affected areas, then at best we would slow it down. Someone who finds they can't get a flight home from Northern Italy, won't stay there. They'll just get a train to Austria and fly home. Likewise someone coming from China may find a series of intermediate hops that allows them to get home.

Unless all outbound travel from affected areas is shut down, then it is impossible to prevent the spread of the infection.

All we can do at this point is expect infection and conduct ourselves appropirately, It's already here - viruses don't obey imaginary lines in the landscape between countries. Northern Ireland has a case, which means we have a case.

Do ten shots of it and if you feel the same the answer is yes

:D

I’m tempted to test this theory now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

wadacrack wrote: »

Those instructions seem very strange. Change your sheets everyday and put them in a bag for 14 days from when you are symptom free. It would seem strange that they don't just test her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Newsflash December 1989- China is overpopulated 1000 fold
    News bulletin dec 2019 -China releases latest measure to solve overpopulation

Obviously you say?

There couldn't possibly be a thousand other reasons to keep them going like.

Thousand other reasons to keep flights going to danger regions are far outweighed by trying to prevent high numbers of deaths in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Loving the outrage over the flyer from the same people who are only too happy to share hysteria from social media. Fake news is fine when it's scary though eh lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

On Sean O'Rourke's show earlier the Health Minister was speaking about contact. He started to say something about '15 minutes' as a lorry drove by and I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Does anyone know what he was talking about ?

• Advertisement

Loving the outrage over the flyer from the same people who are only too happy to share hysteria from social media. Fake news is fine when it's scary though eh lads?

Trolling again - good man. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,262 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

seamus wrote: »
    If we were to just shut down travel from affected areas, then at best we would slow it down. Someone who finds they can't get a flight home from Northern Italy, won't stay there. They'll just get a train to Austria and fly home. Likewise someone coming from China may find a series of intermediate hops that allows them to get home. Unless all outbound travel from affected areas is shut down, then it is impossible to prevent the spread of the infection.
    All we can do at this point is expect infection and conduct ourselves appropirately,

Just because something won't be 100% effective, doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered.

The way I see it it would greatly reduce the number of infections and carriers we would have to worry about.
    Sure people who have to get back will get back here, but discretionary trips would be cancelled.
    We can't close off all routes but we can reduce the flow from at risk areas and therefore reduce, or at least, spread the impact of what does hit us.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

turbbo wrote: »
    Thousand other reasons to keep flights going to danger regions are far outweighed by trying to prevent high numbers of deaths in this country.

Well you just said it was because of the hold Ryanair have over the govt :pac:

Read what Seamus is saying, that's why we haven't shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

seamus wrote: »
    I'd take that 14% claim with a ladle of salt tbh.

It's not just a few weeks though if we're being realistic. If, in an effort to maintain containment, we were to shut down all ports and airports, it would be something we'd have to keep up for months, if not years. The infections travels from individual to individual with up to two weeks between presentation. Like a really slow-burning fire.

If we were to just shut down travel from affected areas, then at best we would slow it down. Someone who finds they can't get a flight home from Northern Italy, won't stay there. They'll just get a train to Austria and fly home. Likewise someone coming from China may find a series of intermediate hops that allows them to get home.

Unless all outbound travel from affected areas is shut down, then it is impossible to prevent the spread of the infection.

All we can do at this point is expect infection and conduct ourselves appropirately, It's already here - viruses don't obey imaginary lines in the landscape between countries. Northern Ireland has a case, which means we have a case.

Slowing it down is the POINT. It would save many many lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

wadacrack wrote: »
    “I rang PHA and they told me to self isolate for 14 days until I’m symptom free. Sneeze and cough into tissues. Put them into a bag and tie it. Double the bag. Don’t put the bag in a wheelie bin until I’m 14 days symptom-free. Clean all surfaces daily wearing gloves and an apron. Wash hands for 45 seconds using liquid soap as much as possible. Use hand sanitiser. Change bed daily. Bag all laundry and do not use a laundry service. Don’t do any washing until I’m 14 days symptom free. They gave me a shopping list for someone else to get me or to get on delivery saying that any deliveries had to be left on the door step and the door was not to be opened until the delivery driver left.”

That's some serious effort to have to go through daily. How many people even have 14 days worth of spare bed clothes?

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    On Sean O'Rourke's show earlier the Health Minister was speaking about contact. He started to say something about '15 minutes' as a lorry drove by and I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Does anyone know what he was talking about ?

It's in the HSE definition of close contact
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/coronavirus.html

I don't know the basis for the 15 minutes of close contact though... seems arbitrary.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just because something won't be 100% effective, doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered.

The way I see it it would greatly reduce the number of infections and carriers we would have to worry about.
    Sure people who have to get back will get back here, but discretionary trips would be cancelled.
    We can't close off all routes but we can reduce the flow from at risk areas and therefore reduce, or at least, spread the impact of what does hit us.

It's called probability - and yes of course it would work and be far more effective than anything else at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Trolling again - good man. :rolleyes:

Nah. Quit trying to shut down any dissenting opinion to the fearmongering as trolling.

There has been utter rubbish posted in this thread and the previous one since day one about how things in China and Iran are worse than they're letting us know and people were content to lap it up. Now all of a sudden we need to be careful and fact check everything because there's rubbish being posted from the opposite side. It's total hypocrisy.

Knex. wrote: »
    That's some serious effort to have to go through daily. How many people even have 14 days worth of spare bed clothes?

No one.
    The self isolation instructions are impractical for most of the population i.e. anyone living in shared accomodation with shared toilet.

Better to lockdown airports now than Irish cities later. Those Irish outside the country can come back and self isolate or go into quarantine like what Australia did.

• Advertisement

I don’t get that bit either. Surely it’s her passing the virus to her bedsheets and not the other way round so what’s the point changing them every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Don't know how this self isolation stuff is going to work in houseshares.

I'm just expecting our entire house will all get it together. Particularly how head-in-the-sands a lot of people are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Realistically who ever it is in the north that got it, she was on a plane a confined space with 200 other people, for 3-4 hours, id imagine alot of them will contract it, then you have those 200 people going around the airport getting on buses trains, cars and what ever else, how many people are they interacting with ? and so on.

And the gov saying they ve completed a "trace" lol

No the virus is well at truly here its only a matter of time imo.

Well you just said it was because of the hold Ryanair have over the govt :pac:

Read what Seamus is saying, that's why we haven't shut down.

No that is not why we haven't shut down - you'd be a fool to believe that - the reason we haven't shut down is the Government would have to break current laws - they are not prepared to be sued by the Airlines - as that would cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah I dont understand changing the bedsheets everyday. If you have it then what is changing going to do other than contaminate more material? If you dont have it you dont have it so no contamination

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Better to lockdown airports now than Irish cities later. Those Irish outside the country can come back and self isolate or go into quarantine like what Australia did.

Too late now, besides it d cost too much. its all about the $

Cupatae wrote: »
    Realistically who ever it is in the north that got it, she was on a plane a confined space with 200 other people, for 3-4 hours, id imagine alot of them will contract it, then you have those 200 people going around the airport getting on buses trains, cars and what ever else, how many people are they interacting with ? and so on.

And the gov saying they ve completed a "trace" lol

No the virus is well at truly here its only a matter of time imo.

If i was a betting man I'd give it 'till monday before the announcement.

No that is not why we haven't shut down - you'd be a fool to believe that - the reason we haven't shut down is the Government would have to break current laws - they are not prepared to be sued by the Airlines - as that would cost money.

If thats even true it would be a lot cheaper than shutting Dublin down because we end up with a few hundred thousand cases all at once

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Yeah I dont understand changing the bedsheets everyday. If you have it then what is changing going to do other than contaminate more material? If you dont have it you dont have it so no contamination

Maybe it’s a psychological thing? Give the person something to do whilst in self quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Don't know how this self isolation stuff is going to work in houseshares.

I'm just expecting our entire house will all get it together. Particularly how head-in-the-sands a lot of people are.

Yeah, doesn't seem feasible at all. I live with 5 people. It seems like if one of us get it, we're all getting it.

Especially as the damage is likely done before the symptoms show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement