Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those instructions seem very strange. Change your sheets everyday and put them in a bag for 14 days from when you are symptom free. It would seem strange that they don't just test her.
    It all sounds a bit mad alright. Change your bedclothes every day, but don't wash them until two weeks after your symptoms have disappeared.

Hands up here who has access to 28 sets of bedclothes?

Seems to me the most sensible advice is to not change your bedclothes until your symptoms have eased for 2/3 days in a row, then leave them in a bag for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Maybe it’s a psychological thing? Give the person something to do whilst in self quarantine.

Like, "Work will set you free"?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

seamus wrote: »
    It all sounds a bit mad alright. Change your bedclothes every day, but don't wash them until two weeks after your symptoms have disappeared.
    Hands up here who has access to 28 sets of bedclothes?

I couldn't even store 28 sets of bedclothes in my apartment.

Whoever gave that advice really hasn't thought this through as a practical measure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1233318830140805120

Seems like the wack-a-mole response to it. We chase down these people afterwards. Meanwhile we have people traveling here daily from the highly infected areas. That's not containment in my eyes. It's only a matter of time before we get higher numbers here. That's the reality, I don't think many can dispute that point. That's the disadvantage of having free movement (EU) of travel during an outbreak of this sort. This is when co-living / too high of a density living seems like an absurd policy to have (and being implemented by government).

What still concerns me is that after years of doctors and medical staff complaining of being understaffed and under resourced (despite the insanely high and ever increasing health budget), we have ZERO capacity to deal with an outbreak of this type of scale. The figures still report that 80% are mild which is great for the majority of us but the 20% that are severe to critical requiring oxygen/ICU etc, we have basically nothing there for them.

What also still concerns me is the reports of the 14% reinfection (or is it a relapse?) from the Chinese (and recently the Japanese case). If we see more research on high mutation rates and the lung damage reports and other factors caused by this virus coming out week after week then a vaccine could become obsolete by the time it rolls out. Then it becomes part of our cold and flu season and well....

Considering all the above...then surely our response should be better considering there's ZERO capacity to cater for this 20%. Being an island we should be able to contain it better with temp arrangements, which means restricting travel from this high risk areas for 2-3 weeks. The whole world will be experiencing economic fallout from this event regardless, we will be facing a recession in the coming months, we should take the extra hit as well to ensure we give the best possible outcomes of survival for this 20%. I know too many people with pre-existing respiratory conditions and my elderly parents. I'd like to think I value human life over trade & tourism for a few weeks.

You don't build any public service facility or service with 20% spare capacity.

That is like having the equivalent of two or three Beaumont hospitals sitting around every day with no patients but full of staff being fully paid, all with no work to do, just in case we get a coronavirus situation. That would be a colossal waste of money that would make the Children's Hospital look like great value.

The reality is we live in a democracy that respects the right to travel and the right to privacy. We are not China or a police state which can ride roughshod over people's rights and restrict them in ways that we cannot.

As for the reference to co-living and high density, that is laughable. If we don't go high density, we will kill off more of the population through climate change issues than this virus ever will.

Knex. wrote: »
    Like, "Work will set you free"?

North Korea style :D

The rest of the advice seems sound though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

turbbo wrote: »
    No that is not why we haven't shut down - you'd be a fool to believe that - the reason we haven't shut down is the Government would have to break current laws - they are not prepared to be sued by the Airlines - as that would cost money.

Nah, we haven't shut down because there is no major need to at this point, you would be creating widespread panic & disruption in a country with 1 currently confirmed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Now might be a good time to buy a thermometer if you don’t already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Self isolation is hilarious, all those houses in flats that have 30 or more Brazilians in a 4 bed.... Good luck with that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hyundai has halted operations at its massive Ulsan plant, South Korea as a worker tested positive for coronavirus. This is a good distance from the epicenter in the country on the southeast coast. No indication when the plant will reopen but the virus is having a massive effect on supply chains.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Nah. Quit trying to shut down any dissenting opinion to the fearmongering as trolling.

There has been utter rubbish posted in this thread and the previous one since day one about how things in China and Iran are worse than they're letting us know and people were content to lap it up. Now all of a sudden we need to be careful and fact check everything because there's rubbish being posted from the opposite side. It's total hypocrisy.

If the numbers coming out of Iran are correct, it means their death rate is nearly 10%

388 cases, 34 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Nah. Quit trying to shut down any dissenting opinion to the fearmongering as trolling.

There has been utter rubbish posted in this thread and the previous one since day one about how things in China and Iran are worse than they're letting us know and people were content to lap it up. Now all of a sudden we need to be careful and fact check everything because there's rubbish being posted from the opposite side. It's total hypocrisy.

Why is their sides in any of this? This is an open discussion - there will be lots of nonsense posted. But do you really think that there is nothing to worry about and that all of this is fear-mongering? Or are you having the craic trolling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

The time to contain the virus was in china, that ship has well and truly sailed, its about weathering the storm now till it can be treated, people only codding themselves thinking they can contain it now, its akin to closing the barn door when the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

italodisco wrote: »
    Self isolation is hilarious, all those houses in flats that have 30 or more Brazilians in a 4 bed.... Good luck with that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

seamus wrote: »
    I'd take that 14% claim with a ladle of salt tbh.

It's not just a few weeks though if we're being realistic. If, in an effort to maintain containment, we were to shut down all ports and airports, it would be something we'd have to keep up for months, if not years. The infections travels from individual to individual with up to two weeks between presentation. Like a really slow-burning fire.

If we were to just shut down travel from affected areas, then at best we would slow it down. Someone who finds they can't get a flight home from Northern Italy, won't stay there. They'll just get a train to Austria and fly home. Likewise someone coming from China may find a series of intermediate hops that allows them to get home.

Unless all outbound travel from affected areas is shut down, then it is impossible to prevent the spread of the infection.

All we can do at this point is expect infection and conduct ourselves appropirately, It's already here - viruses don't obey imaginary lines in the landscape between countries. Northern Ireland has a case, which means we have a case.

And this is where the split in the discussion really is. I can see this viewpoint of course...the chinese numbers are suspect we know that so yes the 14% point needs to be contrasted in a few weeks with S.Korea/Japan/Italy to get a more accurate account.

But the other point basically verges on - It's coming here anyway, why plunge us immediately into a economic downturn and take what you see as drastic measures to close us off to these high risk areas for a few weeks. You say it could be months...but all the experts are coming out saying that there is a natural peak and decline from these events. Should we try wait out the natural peak?

I did say in my post, more cases here is the reality now. We've all hear our doctors come out to the media stating we've no capacity. What I want is to reduce and slow these numbers, reduce the risk. We can expect infection of course...by how much is up for debate.

Beasty wrote: »

Embed a YouTube video of how to wash hands correctly? Please don’t find a twinkle twinkle little star one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gabeeg wrote: »
    If the numbers coming out of Iran are correct, it means their death rate is nearly 10%

388 cases, 34 deaths

Where are you getting these figures?

Snots are sticky. Corona lives in snots. Im not touching that.
    tumblr_m182lq7Izv1rrx588o1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Where are you getting these figures?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Good site. Regular updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Once the shops haven't sold out of bread, no real panic has set in.

Both Lidl and Aldi were out of pesto this morning. What coronavirus fighting properties have basil and pinenuts got that I've been in the dark about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

wadacrack wrote: »

From the article 'Change bed daily. Bag all laundry and do not use a laundry service. Don’t do any washing until I’m 14 days symptom free.'

Surely home washing the clothes be advisable.

When I kill you with an axe next month to steal your bread, loot and iodine tablets. It will be an act of love fren.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

turbbo wrote: »
    Why is their sides in any of this? This is an open discussion - there will be lots of nonsense posted. But do you really think that there is nothing to worry about and that all of this is fear-mongering? Or are you having the craic trolling?

I'm genuinely not trying to troll, just being a bit tongue in cheek with my responses. I don't think there's nothing at all to worry about, I think people should take sensible precautions like practicing good hygiene and staying away from others where possible if they develop symptoms, but some of the stuff being posted is way over the top IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Slowing it down is the POINT. It would save many many lives...
    I do get that, but it would be short term. We can either have it hit us now, or in a few weeks when it has spread beyond the few specific areas we've blocked.

The question is how are we to work it? So we block travel from the main 7/8/9 areas where it is now. In two weeks then we block the next places? And two weeks after that?

We wouldn't be slowing the spread of the infection, just buying ourselves a little bit more time before travel restrictions become pointless anyway.

If was ebola, I'd be more inclined to go with the "shut down everything" approach, but this is not nearly that dangerous, and it's not self-limiting. So any form of travel shutdown is of limited benefit.

We should be focussing efforts on infection control inside the country; get people focussed now on hygiene and good practice; washing your hands, staying at home if you're sick, etc. This is the only thing that stands a chance of slowing the spread for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

YFlyer wrote: »
    From the article 'Change bed daily. Bag all laundry and do not use a laundry service. Don’t do any washing until I’m 14 days symptom free.'

What if they got it wrong and its 15 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Nah, we haven't shut down because there is no major need to at this point, you would be creating widespread panic & disruption in a country with 1 currently confirmed case.

Saying there is no major need to because we have 1 case here doesn't make any sense. What would the point be in shutting down if we had 100 cases - then we'd already have it here? Surely you get that you shut down links to danger regions - it's not rocket science.

YFlyer wrote: »

Id rather fu*king die than do all that washing. I dont even think im joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don’t forget to add the bit about the silver bullet and the headshot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement