Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No, but it's likely only 40% so risky for disinfectant purposes...

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html
    If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
    Why? Many studies have found that sanitizers with an alcohol concentration between 60–95% are more effective at killing germs than those with a lower alcohol concentration or non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers 16,20. Hand sanitizers without 60-95% alcohol 1) may not work equally well for many types of germs; and 2) merely reduce the growth of germs rather than kill them outright.

Everyone missing the key line here... IF SOAP AND WATER ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

Hand sanitisers are handy (pardon the pun) in public places but they are no better at removing germs than just good old fashioned washing your hands.

Everyone in a panic buying them when a bar of Imperial Leather will do smh.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, doesn't seem feasible at all. I live with 5 people. It seems like if one of us get it, we're all getting it.

Especially as the damage is likely done before the symptoms show.

I'm sort of in that acceptance phase now where this is a thing I don't really have much control over, much like the world economy. I'll do my best, but it is what it is. I'm definitely not going to go home either as I don't want to risk bringing it from Galway to Tipperary. Galway seems primed to be one of those hotspots if it does spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Panic stations!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭quokula

Nah, we haven't shut down because there is no major need to at this point, you would be creating widespread panic & disruption in a country with 1 currently confirmed case.

Technically the country has 0 cases as Northern Ireland is a different jurisdiction.

What's interesting is that Italy was one of only two countries alongside Israel who went against the advice of the WHO and experts and overreacted and banned flights from China at the end of January before they had any cases.

Yet they've ended up being worse hit because they chose the big tough sounding over the top gestures, and ignored the proper response to infection risks on the ground.

So far it looks like we've been doing everything correctly in Ireland. There will probably be cases eventually of course, as the virus isn't something that's going to just go away in days or weeks or months, although the panic probably will go away as people realise life goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Everyone missing the key line here... IF SOAP AND WATER ARE NOT AVAILABLE.
    Hand sanitisers are handy (pardon the pun) in public places but they are no better at removing germs than just good old fashioned washing your hands.
    Everyone in a panic buying them when a bar of Imperial Leather will do smh.

true but you can't bring the imperial leather out with you when out about \ shopping etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

quokula wrote: »
    Technically the country has 0 cases as Northern Ireland is a different jurisdiction.

What's interesting is that Italy was one of only two countries alongside Israel who went against the advice of the WHO and experts and overreacted and banned flights from China at the end of January before they had any cases.

Yet they've ended up being worse hit because they chose the big tough sounding over the top gestures, and ignored the proper response to infection risks on the ground.

So far it looks like we've been doing everything correctly in Ireland. There will probably be cases eventually of course, as the virus isn't something that's going to just going to go away in days or weeks or months, although the panic probably will go away as people realise life goes on.

We've tested roughly 100 people to date. We have no idea if there's an outbreak south of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you have information on how Italy ignored the proper response, and let's say France did not?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

odyssey06 wrote: »
    true but you can't bring the imperial leather out with you when out about \ shopping etc

Yes you can soap on a rope Tom Green Style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

So far it looks like we've been doing everything correctly in Ireland. There will probably be cases eventually of course, as the virus isn't something that's going to just go away in days or weeks or months, although the panic probably will go away as people realise life goes on.

We’ve been doing nothing in Ireland. It’s more luck than good judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I'm genuinely not trying to troll, just being a bit tongue in cheek with my responses. I don't think there's nothing at all to worry about, I think people should take sensible precautions like practicing good hygiene and staying away from others where possible if they develop symptoms, but some of the stuff being posted is way over the top IMO.

Fair enough no problem with you having that view point. I would be in disagreement because nothing that the HSE/gov has done so far IMHO has been effective in stopping COVID-19 becoming a huge problem here in Ireland and I do think more could and should be done. I think they are playing it down way too much because of misinformation and are more worried about the public's response.
    Have a read of this and don't tell me you're not more worried after reading it:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

gabeeg wrote: »
    We've tested roughly 100 people to date. We have no idea if there's an outbreak south of the border.

We test anyone with symptoms. But what would I know.

Anyone I’m done here. Enjoy.

gJIqA5j.png

tEg7GTc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Titclamp wrote: »

What has that got to do with the Coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are you saying banning flights from China actually facilitated the spread of the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Titclamp wrote: »

Sure, but nobody had a dry cough or sneezed all over the place, so I'd say they're Coronavirus infection safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How, exactly, did the Italians closing off flights from China, cause them to be worse hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Id rather fu*king die than do all that washing. I dont even think im joking.

Fúcks sake, it's not like you have to go traipsing down to the Ganges to do it.

• Advertisement

We test anyone with symptoms. But what would I know.

Anyone I’m done here. Enjoy.

We haven't tested anyone for Ebola lately. It's probably rampant in Cork. No way to know it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Ah the rare common sense post!
    If we follow the hygiene guidelines we can contain it as best as possible!
    The nonsense posts about shutting airports and forms of travel for months is ridiculous talk from people who have internet access and a platform for such hysteric ramblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

gabeeg wrote: »
    If the numbers coming out of Iran are correct, it means their death rate is nearly 10%

388 cases, 34 deaths

Ah yes, those famously 100% honest Iranian government officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

We haven't tested anyone for Ebola lately. It's probably rampant in Cork. No way to know it isn't.

Ebola is rampant on this thread I think,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

For sure...I note that Brent Crude Oil is now c.$51.52 whereas a year ago it was $75.60.

Presumably our retail prices will be adjusting rapidly downwards quite soon.....Yes ?....Hello....HELLO !......is there anybody there ? :D

This aspect,is about the most relevant thing about Coronavirus that interests me....the rest appears to be based on instilling rabid fear of almost everything we Humans actually do in order to just get on with everyday life.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

turbbo wrote: »
    Fair enough no problem with you having that view point. I would be in disagreement because nothing that the HSE/gov has done so far IMHO has been effective in stopping COVID-19 becoming a huge problem here in Ireland and I do think more could and should be done. I think they are playing it down way too much because of misinformation and are more worried about the public's response.
    Have a read of this and don't tell me you're not more worried after reading it:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

Did you even read that before you posted it.

Zero cases in Ireland = a huge problem in Ireland?????

We live in a world where people have a right to travel and a right to privacy. Within those constraints, we have managed to delay the arrival of coronavirus as long as possible and there is no evidence of it being a "huge problem in Ireland". So what more could and should be done?

Hysterical overreaction and panicking are not necessary, certainly not yet.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Ah yes, those famously 100% honest Iranian government officials.

The WHO are standing behind the famously 100% honest Communist Party of China.

The biggest communist party in the world, and in my view, the best

Bambi wrote: »
    How, exactly, did the Italians closing off flights from China, cause them to be worse hit?

It made no difference whatsoever, but the fact is that their politicians chose to focus their time and attention on things the WHO didn't recommend, while by most accounts the hospitals at the centre of the outbreak didn't follow recommendations. Maybe if they'd gone for a more evidence based approach to policy they'd be looking better right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Ebola is a flesh eating disease. Whatever it is that's rampant in Cork, is some form of brain eating disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement