Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

A student who returned from China January 29th has been sick now for at least 7 days.
    School Principal contacted the HSE and was told that nothing needed to be done as the student had returned more than 14 days ago, so he won’t be tested for Coronavirus. The Principal is not happy, he’s very concerned.

I thought one could show symptoms of being sick even after 14 days.

No wonder there are 0 cases in Ireland, they only test you if you are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TomSweeney wrote: »
    You mean you don't think thats an actual electron microscope image ?

9b3.png

Well if you did you'd be a feking genius amongst eejits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Great one,as long as your ok right? That's all that matters right.

Now we have Japan saying you can get a relapse. Huge implications. This is a world changer if true. Better hope there is a vaccine that works before you hit 50+ and you better stay in tip top shape. Hopefully you won't suffer and organ damage in the meantime from an earlier bout

My point was one of reassurance for parents.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Ah yes, those famously 100% honest Iranian government officials.

Where China have been accused of watering down the numbers, Iran’s are catastrophic. What’s their angle if you don’t think they’re honest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ah the rare common sense post!
    If we follow the hygiene guidelines we can contain it as best as possible!
    The nonsense posts about shutting airports and forms of travel for months is ridiculous talk from people who have internet access and a platform for such hysteric ramblings.

considering we live on an island aswell be interesting to get supplies...with all travel shut down lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

turbbo wrote: »
    Have a read of this and don't tell me you're not more worried after reading it:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

This achieves what? I could link an article about the trauma the body goes through during an airplane crash what would the point be though?
    You seem intent on terrifying yourself.
    The only actions you can take is good hand hygiene and avoid travelling to high risk areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ah the rare common sense post!
    If we follow the hygiene guidelines we can contain it as best as possible!
    The nonsense posts about shutting airports and forms of travel for months is ridiculous talk from people who have internet access and a platform for such hysteric ramblings.

"On 31 January, the first two cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Rome. Two Chinese tourists, who arrived in Milan on 23 January via Milan Malpensa Airport and travelled to Rome on a tourist bus, tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and were hospitalised in Lazzaro Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases"

"On 6 February, one of the Italians repatriated from Wuhan, China tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in Italy to three."

"The Lombardy outbreak came to light when a 38-year-old Italian tested positive for COVID-19 in Codogno, the province of Lodi, Lombardy. Previously, he met a friend who had returned from China on 21 January 2020. On 14 February, he felt unwell and went to a doctor in Castiglione d'Adda. He was prescribed treatments for influenza"

I guess stopping flights was a really dumb idea and caused it all. FFS the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

iguana wrote: »
    Both Lidl and Aldi were out of pesto this morning. What coronavirus fighting properties have basil and pinenuts got that I've been in the dark about?

Maybe it goes well with pasta - you know, that stuff that used to be on the shelves an isle over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MaraMara wrote: »
    A student who returned from China January 29th has been sick now for at least 7 days.
    School Principal contacted the HSE and was told that nothing needed to be done as the student had returned more than 14 days ago, so he won’t be tested for Coronavirus. The Principal is not happy, he’s very concerned.

I thought one could show symptoms of being sick even after 14 days.

Why would a school principal know anything about the private medical information of a pupil and then be telling anyone else about it?

That would be enough to get the principal fired, so you must be making this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

This achieves what? I could link an article about the trauma the body goes through during an airplane crash what would the point be though?
    You seem intent on terrifying yourself.
    The only actions you can take is good hand hygiene and avoid travelling to high rest areas.

That is a factual article - no nonsense - no scare mongering - and you want to claim I'm trying to terrify myself - believe me when I say it would take a lot more than that to terrify me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Fair enough no problem with you having that view point. I would be in disagreement because nothing that the HSE/gov has done so far IMHO has been effective in stopping COVID-19 becoming a huge problem here in Ireland and I do think more could and should be done. I think they are playing it down way too much because of misinformation and are more worried about the public's response.
    Have a read of this and don't tell me you're not more worried after reading it:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

I'm honestly not more worried after reading it. The article even acknowledges that severe illness only occurs in a minority of cases, and as far as I'm aware cytokine storm occurrence has yet to be proven. I'm not trying to deny that it can be a serious illness, or that we should ignore it altogether, or anything like that. I just think if people take sensible precautions (wash hands regularly, isolate if symptoms develop) it won't turn out to be anywhere near as much of an issue as some people worry it might be. I also think it's very likely that the number of mild cases will end up being a lot higher than we're aware of at the moment, pushing the fatality rate down significantly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Cupatae wrote: »
    considering we live on an island aswell be interesting to get supplies...with all travel shut down lol

There is nothing wrong with turnips! An often maligned vegetable.

Turnips are loaded with fiber and vitamins K, A, C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, B2 and folate (one of the B vitamins), as well as minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and copper. They are also a good source of phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids and protein.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Did you even read that before you posted it.

Zero cases in Ireland = a huge problem in Ireland?????

We live in a world where people have a right to travel and a right to privacy. Within those constraints, we have managed to delay the arrival of coronavirus as long as possible and there is no evidence of it being a "huge problem in Ireland". So what more could and should be done?

Hysterical overreaction and panicking are not necessary, certainly not yet.

Do you actually think their are 0 cases in Ireland? talk about burying your head in the sand lol if a woman treked thru dublin with it there is a fair chance there are undiscovered cases.

They may not be known but if i was a betting man...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Beasty wrote: »

If everyone stopped flights it may be different but can anyone believe they will stop all flights across the World for something that may (and I emphasise may) result in less deaths than seasonal flu?

It's not so far fetched anymore, if you had have told me I could have ever seen a flightradar over China like I saw a few short weeks ago I would have said you're insane. And that was with the WHO telling the rest of the world to not to do it too.

Turnips are loaded with fiber and vitamins K, A, C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, B2 and folate (one of the B vitamins), as well as minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and copper. They are also a good source of phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids and protein.

dont forget the good ole spud!

"On 31 January, the first two cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Rome. Two Chinese tourists, who arrived in Milan on 23 January via Milan Malpensa Airport and travelled to Rome on a tourist bus, tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 and were hospitalised in Lazzaro Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases"

"On 6 February, one of the Italians repatriated from Wuhan, China tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in Italy to three."

"The Lombardy outbreak came to light when a 38-year-old Italian tested positive for COVID-19 in Codogno, the province of Lodi, Lombardy. Previously, he met a friend who had returned from China on 21 January 2020. On 14 February, he felt unwell and went to a doctor in Castiglione d'Adda. He was prescribed treatments for influenza"

I guess stopping flights was a really dumb idea and caused it all. FFS the mind boggles.

Not tracing the people who were on the bus from Milan to Rome caused the problem. Ditto the activity of the friend from China. Ditto the failure of the doctor on 14 February to check for coronavirus.

It seems that our HSE and the Health Service in the North are all over such issues and so far are doing a better job than the Italians did. I am aware of two suspected cases and the efforts that went in to tracing the contacts while the test results were awaited. Both were negative by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Great one,as long as your ok right? That's all that matters right.

Now we have Japan saying you can get a relapse. Huge implications. This is a world changer if true. Better hope there is a vaccine that works before you hit 50+ and you better stay in tip top shape. Hopefully you won't suffer and organ damage in the meantime from an earlier bout

My point was one of reassurance for parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,558 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

87698409_10158295198946155_4435715663507488768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=E6LS1ajeVAIAX_9eMkc&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&_nc_tp=14&oh=2962650355de642be7d81b6c5c7ee574&oe=5F01DC6E

• Registered Users Posts: 30,254 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You can keep cargo routes open and restrict commercial flights.
    You can keep routes open from certain locations and not other.

* not saying we should, but we could impose restrictions on some routes etc it doesn't have to be all or nothing

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Do you actually think their are 0 cases in Ireland? talk about burying your head in the sand lol if a woman treked thru dublin with it there is a fair chance there are undiscovered cases.

They may not be known but if i was a betting man...

There are probably other cases in Ireland. If there are, those who have symptoms and haven't gone to the doctor, most probably younger people who seem to only get a mild version, will be the ones responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

3qp3ok.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But the other point basically verges on - It's coming here anyway, why plunge us immediately into a economic downturn and take what you see as drastic measures to close us off to these high risk areas for a few weeks. You say it could be months...but all the experts are coming out saying that there is a natural peak and decline from these events. Should we try wait out the natural peak?
    I know it sounds like, "Let's let people die so that we can continue to make money from people moving in and out of the country". I'm trying think about the impact of travel restrictions beyond the end of the virus.

If we were looking at insane infection and mortality rates, like 10-15% in healthy people and 30-40% in vulnerable categories - you know, bubonic plague level - then yeah I'd saying, "Fvck everything, close everything, let's live on rations for the next year and rebuild our economies afterwards".

But that's not where we are. It's not that deadly a virus, which means a balancing act is needed. If we tank our economy in an effort to hold back this virus, then how many people will die in the depression that follows? When we're trying to deal with a health system that has collapsed under the pressure, government income cut in half, unemployment rates of 25%+ and medicine shortages because supply chains have dried up, how many people will die? And will it be less than the numbers who will die from coronavirus?

As harsh as it is to reduce people to numbers, this is basically what we have to do. People are going to die. We have to choose the course of action that minimises it as much as possible over the long-term. That's basically what quarantine is about - potentially letting fifty people die in isolation to avoid 50,000 dying because the infection escaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Not tracing the people who were on the bus from Milan to Rome caused the problem. Ditto the activity of the friend from China. Ditto the failure of the doctor on 14 February to check for coronavirus.

It seems that our HSE and the Health Service in the North are all over such issues and so far are doing a better job than the Italians did. I am aware of two suspected cases and the efforts that went in to tracing the contacts while the test results were awaited. Both were negative by the way.

The HSE are only testing people if they both show symptoms and have arrived from a highlighted region in the last 14 days. If your symptoms develop after 14 days, you wont be tested. If you got infected from an asymptomatic carrier, you wont be tested. If you caught it in England or Austria or Switzerland or France you wont be tested.

The strict regulations on testing are going to cause a mass outbreak, rather than prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Keep cargo travel going obvs.
    It's PEOPLE (bug carriers) we need to restrict for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nigeria's first case travelled from Italy through Turkey according to the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-china-wuhan-stock-markets-update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As I read some of the comments here, I really believe Helen Lovejoy is not just a cartoon character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Nigeria's first case travelled from Italy through Turkey according to the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-live-updates-latest-news-china-wuhan-stock-markets-update

CULL ALL TURKEYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Dunne Pharmacy Flier

What is the source for this? I can’t find it anywhere including a reverse image search

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You can keep cargo routes open and restrict commercial flights.
    You can keep routes open from certain locations and not other.

* not saying we should, but we could impose restrictions on some routes etc it doesn't have to be all or nothing

Yeah that's what I'd be thinking too. I'd be fairly sure many of the journeys that brought this virus from Northern Italy to the rest of Europe were for ski trips and the like. Do people really have a godgiven right to make make those sorts of trips?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MaraMara

Why would a school principal know anything about the private medical information of a pupil and then be telling anyone else about it?

That would be enough to get the principal fired, so you must be making this up.[/QUOTE

How about because he’s concerned about the other 600 hundred students?

Anyway if you don’t understand it it’s not even worth explaining it to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement