Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes. There are many varieties of Corona virus. Many are spread from animals to humans. This one no different.

Do you have an alternative theory?
    3qpflh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Titclamp wrote: »
    Then why can't China be sued for causing this?

Why should the world suffer cause of people munching on bats

Of course they can be sued, any no win no fee solicitors will happily take the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

PhantomHat wrote: »
    No not really. It's just a convenient story IMO. Its very likely it was an accidental escape from the Wuhan Virus Lab. Allegedly some of the original sick individuals had no ties with the wet market in question. Obviously China will not divulge any more information than it has too. It's a very guarded totalitarian communist regime. After all and above all else it has an economy which it wants to protect

I don't know why people aren't more outraged by these wet markets or whatever if its the cause.
    Not even brought into the argument.
    What was even sold at that wet market even?
    I understand they didn't want any international assistance either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Does anyone believe this came from some clown eating bats?

It most probably came from Chinese Horseshoe Bats
    The researchers then constructed the whole genomic sequence of the new virus—now known as COVID-19—and found that its genome sequence is 79 percent similar to the SARS-CoV, about 51.8 percent similar to the MERS-CoV, and about 87.6-87.7 percent similar to other SARS-like CoVs from Chinese horseshoe bats (called ZC45 and ZXC21). These findings clearly suggest that the virus originated from bats.

https://www.asianscientist.com/2020/02/topnews/china-coronavirus-covid-19-study/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

G. D. P. R.

Not saying its the case in this instance, but "legitimate interest" trumps consent.

(as an example, try ringing the revenue and asking them to remove you from their systems as you don't give consent.......)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

silverharp wrote: »
    Its a feature of Communism to cover up situations like this until they get out of control. The globe should start decoupling from China until they get rid of their system.

My parish is way ahead of you, we've started decoupling from Cork

Peatys wrote: »
    Titclamp, where do you think it started?

Who the **** knows.

And its not likely we'll ever know.

Its been too much of a **** up for any accountability to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

gabeeg wrote: »
    They stated they were going to ramp up prior to that NI case being discovered.

I don't pretend to be an expert on risk management, but if we're doing far fewer tests than other countries on a per capita basis, then it suggests that we are erring on the side of risky.

Not necessarily. Other countries ramped up the number of tests based on the number of cases and the risk involved. We are doing the same.

Only two days ago, we had posters on here ranting and raving about UK schools shutting down after Italian ski trips while all we did was advise pupils to stay at home if they have symptoms. Well what happened? After a few hours it turned out that the UK NHS advice was the same as ours and that the schools in the UK had overreacted.

Did the panic merchants on here come back and apologise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Its a feature of Communism to cover up situations like this until they get out of control. The globe should start decoupling from China until they get rid of their system.

China is communist in name only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

seamus wrote: »
    I'd take that 14% claim with a ladle of salt tbh.

It's not just a few weeks though if we're being realistic. If, in an effort to maintain containment, we were to shut down all ports and airports, it would be something we'd have to keep up for months, if not years. The infections travels from individual to individual with up to two weeks between presentation. Like a really slow-burning fire.

If we were to just shut down travel from affected areas, then at best we would slow it down. Someone who finds they can't get a flight home from Northern Italy, won't stay there. They'll just get a train to Austria and fly home. Likewise someone coming from China may find a series of intermediate hops that allows them to get home.

Unless all outbound travel from affected areas is shut down, then it is impossible to prevent the spread of the infection.

All we can do at this point is expect infection and conduct ourselves appropirately, It's already here - viruses don't obey imaginary lines in the landscape between countries. Northern Ireland has a case, which means we have a case.

That's completely logical. Though ,have you seen the press conference with the WHO Dr who was in Wuhan? It's a Catch-22.

South Korea are who everyone should be following because I believe they've tried to maintain that they will not do major lockdowns, I think - especially after hearing the Dr who inspected Wuhan - they will have no choice. That's not saying I think we should shut down and that it will solve it but people seem to be glossing over the facts and not realising what this did to the health infrastructure in China due to sheer numbers.

The main issue is spread because so many people require hospital treatment it doesn't matter if the death rate is as low or lower than it's tracking at the moment. Of course that would go up when a health system is overwhelmed like in Wuhan. And the only way they allegedly stopped it was the measures ye're talking about being almost impossible for us to do. So hopefully you're right, if in 3 weeks time South Korea's health system is managing I will agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,934 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

lobbylad wrote: »
    Not saying its the case in this instance, but "legitimate interest" trumps consent.

(as an example, try ringing the revenue and asking them to remove you from their systems as you don't give consent.......)

What legitimate interest is involved here?

There is no legitimate interest in a non-medically qualified principal gossiping about the medical treatment of one of his pupils.

Compared to the communism you read in a book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Have you by any idea how ingrained into the economy of other countries China actually is? Guess who is one of the largest holders of US treasury debt is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233373902279233536[/quote

Did the Italian piss off the Chinese by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1_263790776_Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

so what? its not an open democracy, its an authoritarian top down driven society . How many people are employed by the Irish state scrubbing social media of discussion like the current one??

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

British passenger of the Diamond Princess cruise ship dies of coronavirus

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233377008530460672

blanch152 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Other countries ramped up the number of tests based on the number of cases and the risk involved. We are doing the same.

Only two days ago, we had posters on here ranting and raving about UK schools shutting down after Italian ski trips while all we did was advise pupils to stay at home if they have symptoms. Well what happened? After a few hours it turned out that the UK NHS advice was the same as ours and that the schools in the UK had overreacted.

Did the panic merchants on here come back and apologise?

Mate, they've done roughly 100 tests over the last month or so.
    They managed to do 10 tests yesterday. That's your ramp.

Perhaps I'm wrong, as you say I'm no risk management expert (are you?), but 100 tests over the period of a month seems wholly inadequate to me.

I'm not bashing their entire response to this crisis. Much of it has been as good as you could expect. It's just that I fear they're flying blind and I expect they're scrambling to catch up.

so what? its not an open democracy, its an authoritarian top down driven society . How many people are employed by the Irish state scrubbing social media of discussion like the current one??

I'm not defending China

It's just that they haven't been communist in decades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Then why can't China be sued for causing this?

Why should the world suffer cause of people munching on bats

Hello Miss Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Have you by any idea how ingrained into the economy of other countries China actually is? Guess who is one of the largest holders of US treasury debt is?

yeah we are kind of learning that its a bad thing, for example below. The US should start bringing their companies home or diversify them elsewhere

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1233229547614752770

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

ITman88 wrote: »
    If your economic predictions are correct, the least of your worries is the virus

All predictions so far have been correct unfortunately.

Virus is the bigger concern, can't spend money if your dead.
    Not so worried about possible sterilisation. Lung lesions might be a worry.

US economy has been overheating with years and the virus hasn't hit them yet.
    I hope your right, and I'm wrong.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Reducing our dependence on cheap Chinese labour is something we should be doing anyway to reduce emissions.

But something like this might at least bring it into focus that concentrating a huge portion of global manufacturing into one region of the planet is not a wise strategy.

yeah we are kind of learning that its a bad thing, for example below. The US should start bringing their companies home or diversify them elsewhere

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1233229547614752770
    I don't see US pharma workers working for the same rate of pay as their Chinese counterparts tbh.

No updates on numbers out of Italy today. Which is a bit worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I don't see US pharma workers working for the same rate of pay as their Chinese counterparts tbh.

Very true, watch "American factory" on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And the people certainly wont pay more for anything produced to allow the wage increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

No updates on numbers out of Italy today. Which is a bit worrying.

or they've had no reports of new cases and the quarantine is doing its job so far

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Reducing our dependence on cheap Chinese labour is something we should be doing anyway to reduce emissions.

But something like this might at least bring it into focus that concentrating a huge portion of global manufacturing into one region of the planet is not a wise strategy.

It may not be a wise strategy but if consumers want products at a cheap price it's the only one that works at present.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement