Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

timmyntc wrote: »
    Ring the HSE number again, but this time threaten to go to A&E if they dont contact you back

No way. That would be irresponsible even if this is just a normal flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,523 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Titclamp wrote: »
    Well there's no smoke without fire. How is this dismissed so easily?

People believe their own little bubble is the same the world over.
    Except anything goes where state organised organ harvesting and sale from prisoners and morals don't exist.
    It's a part of the world where to kill any opponents by any means where it looks natural is heavily researched.

Anyway it's all elsewhere on the internet.
    As ye were..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Where's the educational value?

sex education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Would Boards.ie implode if we had snow and a confirmed coronavirus case simultaneously?

Yes, I believe it would.

Physical activities were always a big part of education when I was growing up. I grew up in London though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

ardinn wrote: »
    Off topic but on this topic - Is this thread one of the faster or fastest moving thread over time on boards. I remember the first thread early on, normal pace, now its around a page every two minutes!

I just did the maths - 1.1 posts per minute over the last 4 days - thats incredible.

The HSE Public Health Team are meant to be managing this on the ground, the briefings GP's have been given specifically state this.

However what I'm hearing on the ground is that the HSE are telling people to ring their GP after the GP has already given them the information as set out by the HSE. Your experience seems to confirm this. Local Public Health teams don't seem to know what they are meant to actually do.

There's a fair bit of chaos on the ground at the moment.

Seems so. No doubt they’re probably getting a lot of calls too. You wouldn’t know though.
    Apparently There is a series of questions that feed an algorithm which indicates if you need testing or not.
    Depending on how many questions it might well be a big backlog of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A lot of Europe kiss on the cheek as a greeting. It's easy to see how physical contact can spread these sorts of things quickly. I'm glad that isn't the cultural norm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-british-passenger-from-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-dies-11945226

No details yet on the passenger's age. First British death from coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

China has 78,824 confirmed cases and the death toll was at 2,788...........................

out of 1.4 billion population
    And you trust those figures? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,282 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They learn to ski, very useful lifeskill.

It is, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Where's the educational value in most school trips away?

They're usually paid for by the students parents and done outside school hours, like midterms and that.

It's not about education, it's recreational.

It is, yeah.

It’s a (scam) holiday fo the teachers let’s be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

thats the first in sub saharan Africa, you could be right

Given the lower life expectancy in many African countries and the age profile of the most vulnerable they should have lower than average death rates in reality.

Of course they have already been battling an ongoing Ebola outbreak, which is a much more serious illness, but no one really gave a sh1t because it didn't upset the Dow Jones I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

morebabies wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-british-passenger-from-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-dies-11945226

No details yet on the passenger's age. First British death from coronavirus.

Jaysus, that really is the cruise ship from hell.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Would Boards.ie implode if we had snow and a confirmed coronavirus case simultaneously?

People be self isolated then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Runaways wrote: »
    It’s nothing at all to do with greed. Pretty sure there aren’t even any laws allowing govt (or any Eu govt) to close borders/ports of entry. This is unprecedented remember.

And even if they did, you end up with mass panic on a truly big scale. And that’s a whole other nightmare situation you then have to handle when you actually don’t have to create it in the first place.

Less of the hysteria today please. We’ve enough of it.

Less of the condescension please.

Borders have been closed for Foot and Mouth disease to protect cattle industry!
    Government ,even the present caretaker government, can pass emergency legislation in the public interest.
    It is greed not to affect markets and tourism , especially coming up to St Patrick's Day / weekend .

At the very least people need to be checked at entry points for symptoms, at this stage.
    Latest case was not a success as Tony Holohan said, as that person should have made themself known at Dublin Airport and not travelled on infected and to infect others. He is not credible anymore after saying that on Prime Time.
    More panic when the whole country ends up closed down due to quarantine because of laid back," sure what's the fuss" attitude now .

And by the way, the hospitals will not cope with the 20% seriously affected that have to be admitted . NO staff , no beds, no ICU beds . Chris Luke in CUH said it last night, Michael O'Dwyer in Vincent's yesterday, and we all know what the A&E departments around the country are like.

Head in the sand talk from some people here.
    By all means joke away , lighten the mood , if it doesn't pan out like it is in other countries then that's great. But as someone who works in the healthcare sector I agree with a lot of posters who are rightly concerned and , not , as you put it hysterical.

How?

Giving up your week off to spend it with 80 or 90 hormonal sixteen year olds?

Fcuk that.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

ardinn wrote: »
    I just did the maths - 1.1 posts per minute over the last 4 days - thats incredible.

Wow. It would be worth counting how many posts aren’t the ramblings of preoccupied lunatics who say things like, “when this hits we are going to know about it”
    or “the authorities have done nothing in Ireland to stop this”
    “An ambulance in Galway won’t remove a patient outside the hospital”
    I think the thread should be renamed “The thoughts of Walter Mitty”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

trying to keep a bunch of horny and wanna be drunk teenagers in line would not be my idea of a scam holiday. I know someone who did it once and they said never again!!

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    Wow. It would be worth counting how many posts aren’t the ramblings of preoccupied lunatics who say things like, “when this hits we are going to know about it”
    or “the authorities have done nothing in Ireland to stop this”
    “An ambulance in Galway won’t remove a patient outside the hospital”
    I think the thread should be renamed “The thoughts of Walter Mitty”

I think we should step back a minute to remind ourselves how disappointing we all are that this is not the zombie pandemic hollywood promised us.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

8-10 wrote: »
    A lot of Europe kiss on the cheek as a greeting. It's easy to see how physical contact can spread these sorts of things quickly. I'm glad that isn't the cultural norm here.

Now I'm not saying it but...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Stheno wrote: »
    Does anyone know where in Mexico their confirmed case is?

Mexico city

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Less of the condescension please.

Borders have been closed for Foot and Mouth disease to protect cattle industry!
    Government ,even the present caretaker government, can pass emergency legislation in the public interest.
    It is greed not to affect markets and tourism , especially coming up to St Patrick's Day / weekend .

At the very least people need to be checked at entry points for symptoms, at this stage.
    Latest case was not a success as Tony Holohan said, as that person should have made themself known at Dublin Airport and not travelled on infected and to infect others. He is not credible anymore after saying that on Prime Time.
    More panic when the whole country ends up closed down due to quarantine because of laid back," sure what's the fuss" attitude now .

And by the way, the hospitals will not cope with the 20% seriously affected that have to be admitted . NO staff , no beds, no ICU beds . Chris Luke in CUH said it last night, Michael O'Dwyer in Vincent's yesterday, and we all know what the A&E departments around the country are like.

Head in the sand talk from some people here.
    By all means joke away , lighten the mood , if it doesn't pan out like it is in other countries then that's great. But as someone who works in the healthcare sector I agree with a lot of posters who are rightly concerned and , not , as you put it hysterical.

You hadn’t read the posts from poster I was replying to evidently.
    I am taking it seriously. Back from Cambodia a week and sick in bed with a mystery flu bored off my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

China has 78,824 confirmed cases and the death toll was at 2,788...........................

Maybe, maybe not but if they do it's testament to the draconian measures they've taken measures that won't be taken in Ireland or Europe.

Should be fun when it get's to America and they try to do what the Chinese have done with their populace what with all the gun nuts over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Now I'm not saying it but...

All about those sweet sweet views baby!

khalessi wrote: »
    trying to keep a bunch of horny and wanna be drunk teenagers in line would not be my idea of a scam holiday. I know someone who did it once and they said never again!!

Good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,497 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So far. If they're telling us the whole story...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No way. That would be irresponsible even if this is just a normal flu.

Oh no I don't suggest actually doing it. Stay at home.
    But if you threatened to maybe they'd take it seriously and stop trying to shift the work onto someone else to get testing this bucko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

8-10 wrote: »

Lots of ass kissing is this country, also cheeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement