Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Where's the educational value?

Learning to Ski or any sport for that matter is of great benefit. As someone learning to Ski at 30 I would love if I had the opportunity to do it at 15. Education is not all science and literature.

You are probably the type who would say, what's the point in learning Dutch, sure they all speak English.

How?

Giving up your week off to spend it with 80 or 90 hormonal sixteen year olds?

Fcuk that.

Ah in fairness, I was 13 the first time I went :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So far. If they're telling us the whole story...

tenor.gif?itemid=4677199

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The HSE Public Health Team are meant to be managing this on the ground, the briefings GP's have been given specifically state this.

However what I'm hearing on the ground is that the HSE are telling people to ring their GP after the GP has already given them the information as set out by the HSE. Your experience seems to confirm this. Local Public Health teams don't seem to know what they are meant to actually do.

There's a fair bit of chaos on the ground at the moment.

HSE.

Chaos.

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Runaways wrote: »
    You hadn’t read the posts from poster I was replying to evidently.
    I am taking it seriously. Back from Cambodia a week and sick in bed with a mystery flu bored off my face.

Cambodia is not on the list of affected countries.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

If you haven't been to one of those areas, or been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus, you'll be at the bottom of the queue and that suggests low probability of it being coronavirus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You hadn’t read the posts from poster I was replying to evidently.
    I am taking it seriously. Back from Cambodia a week and sick in bed with a mystery flu bored off my face.

Stop digging. There is nothing hysterical about my posts. I understand you may be worried about how this may effect the tourist sector/business etc..but ignoring the reality isn't going to make it go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Sky news has a covid 19 special starting now. Probably Kay Burley in a hazmat suit on the streets of Northern Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Learning to Ski or any sport for that matter is of great benefit. As someone learning to Ski at 30 I would love if I had the opportunity to do it at 15. Education is not all science and literature.

Well yeh it's nice to learn it but who does it benefit other than yourself, science and literature have more value that can bring benefits to wider society through your contribution after education

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Since when were school ski trips a thing?

What's educational about them?

Learn a lot about biology

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Cambodia is not on the list of affected countries.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/advice-for-people-returning-from-affected-areas.html

If you haven't been to one of those areas, or been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus, you'll be at the bottom of the queue and that suggests low probability of it being coronavirus.

It’s on the NHS’ list funny enough. And there were confirmed cases while I was there including a ship. Didn’t get this there tho. I’m blaming the never ending flights Must look up what happened with that ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

ardinn wrote: »
    Off topic but on this topic - Is this thread one of the faster or fastest moving thread over time on boards. I remember the first thread early on, normal pace, now its around a page every two minutes!

Another way of looking at it from posts is interest... The original thread had 692,000 views when it closed out at shy of 10,000 posts; 69 views per post. This thread is shy of 6,000 posts and 540,000 views already; 90 views per post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well yeh it's nice to learn it but who does it benefit other than yourself, science and literature have more value that can bring benefits to wider society through your contribution after education

Everybody. If it benefits you and makes you happier and a more well rounded person society on the whole is better off. It might benefit your future kids too if you can give them what is essentially are great hobby and source of physical excercise. Not dissing science or literature at all by the way. Just saying Sports are good for us to indulge in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It’s on the NHS’ list funny enough. And there were confirmed cases while I was there including a ship. Didn’t get this there tho. I’m blaming the never ending flights Must look up what happened with that ship

Yeah I noticed that, but whatever algorithm the HSE are using for prioritisation - you'll be ranked very low on it.

Based on the HSE guidelines it's not clear why your GP referred you to the HSE in the first place. If you don't hear back from the HSE I'd call your GP again and clarify Cambodia wasn't on the list.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mojesius wrote: »
    Sky news has a covid 19 special starting now. Probably Kay Burley in a hazmat suit on the streets of Northern Italy.

Theresa Mannion has already got her haz-mat suit and microphone ready. She will be double jobbing. The Strom and the Virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Haven't seen Kay for ages how could they deprive us by moving her to breakfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,152 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She is in Hong Kong to interview that dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Another way of looking at it from posts is interest... The original thread had 692,000 views when it closed out at shy of 10,000 posts; 69 views per post. This thread is shy of 6,000 posts and 540,000 views already; 90 views per post.

If i get a view added everytime i refresh the page then most of those are me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Stop digging. There is nothing hysterical about my posts. I understand you may be worried about how this may effect the tourist sector/business etc..but ignoring the reality isn't going to make it go away.

When did I mention the tourist industry? Doesn’t affect me at all and personally think paddy’s week festival should be cancelled. We should be getting out in front of this every way we can.
    Think you meant someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Live in the US and work part-time at a very large home improvement center. Fear is getting out of hand here. We can’t keep masks in stock at the center and they’re not even available online. Plus, we don’t even carry the antiviral N95/N99 filter type masks that are the only ones recommended for protection against bacteria and viruses. We haven’t even had a case of COVID-19 in this state. One thing I noticed at the center is the growing number of Asian customers wearing masks. I wonder if their fear is just higher or they are afraid of being racially profiled by other customers.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

G. D. P. R.

There are exemptions to GDPR:
    GDPR allows Member States to introduce derogations on topics including national security, public security

The HSE can and will share a patients information to protect others.
    The GDPR recognizes that there must be some leeway given to the organizations acting in the public interest in special circumstances, especially in situations involving security and health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Interesting. Usually people like to wear a hazmat suit while dealing with Kay Burley.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 36,080 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Now I'm not saying it but...

Turns out he had the virus and has now infected 100's .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If this hits Madagascar, then we're officially f'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

cnocbui wrote: »

yea, but...

G

D

P

R

wakka12 wrote: »

Language skills, maths (how many degrees is optimum for a big snow plough), social skills, at the times I went there were different currencies so managing money.

Fitness was a really big part of education when I went to school. PE was a triple lesson and a double lesson every week. I had access to so many different sports that if you were good at you’d take up as after school activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭quokula

cnocbui wrote: »

The context was some school principal gossiping about one of their students where the actual medical professionals already had all the information they required to advise that it wasn't coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Nijmegen wrote: »
    HSE.

Chaos.

Never.

In fairness, it's not different in other countries. The health system in Germany is usually top notch, but they're struggling to cope with this, no one wants to have anything to do with it unless they don't have a choice (if someone is more seriously affected). Here's a report from a journalist who developed flu like symptoms after travelling back from Milan. She tried to get tested but was refused by her GP, health authorities and hospitals. It's in German but you can use Google Translate:

https://www.stern.de/panorama/weltgeschehen/coronavirus--wie-ich-vergeblich-darum-gekaempft-habe--getestet-zu-werden-9161924.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Suitcase or case of beer?
    Caronas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Dazzler hasn't been in to calm us down for a few days. I wonder has he been shown the graphs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Theresa Mannion has already got her haz-mat suit and microphone ready. She will be double jobbing. The Strom and the Virus.

Don't make unnecessary journeys stay away from treacherous rouges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement