Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Runaways wrote: »
    Oh great. It was actually the princess diamond cruise ship that was In Sihanoukville while I was there.
    Heard it was another.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/two-irish-passengers-on-cruise-ship-test-positive-for-coronavirus-1.4177266%3fmode=amp
    You're mistaken, it was definitely another.

The Princess Diamond hasn't been to Sihanoukville this year. The closest it ever was to you was Ho Chi Minh City on 8th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/28/coronovirus-test-wellbeing-herd-vaccination

Going on this thread, this article equally applies to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

danois wrote: »
    They are effective to help stop infected people passing it on. Not so much at helping well people stay well.

So they are a one way valve then - stopping outbound traffic but not inbound? How's that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

In a heap. Not even kidding. Waiting for a call back from a doctor from the HSE number. They said within 24 hours so about 4 to go I think

woa, that's terrible. so sorry for it. pressing thumbs here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tara73 wrote: »
    woa, that's terrible. so sorry for it. pressing thumbs here!!!

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, he's just back from Columbia, it's just a comedown with a sprinkle of paranoia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

In a heap. Not even kidding. Waiting for a call back from a doctor from the HSE number. They said within 24 hours so about 4 to go I think

Have you been isolating?

If so, since when? Has family been leaving food at your door? Have you been sharing bathrooms?

You're young so I guess you're not so worried but if you do hey a positive result, do you think you could have passed it onto elderly family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow Jones down 950 points already!

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, he's just back from Columbia, it's just a comedown with a sprinkle of paranoia.

You mean Cambodia?

To be fair, I usually get ill everytime I return from South East Asia too. Always have a cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭danois

cnocbui wrote: »
    So they are a one way valve then - stopping outbound traffic but not inbound? How's that work?

From what I can figure out they make it less likely for droplets to escape the infected person. The reason they aren’t as effective to stop you catching it is it’s from touching your mouth eyes etc you catch it and having a mask you are more likely to touch face to readjust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Did one of your sources tell you that?

• Advertisement

Could anyone tell me what this actually means? I don't understand stick markets but I know they're spiralling out of control over the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Yeah, around 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

antodeco wrote: »
    Timbukaswell

Timbukstopshere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

A big glass of tk red lemonade and a slice of dry cold toast and you’ll be flying it.
    The carona would bounce off you like bullets off superman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Same type of pattern as yesterday (DJ had biggest day drop in history), and the other 5 days before that.

German stocks are having a terrible time about -4% today, the DAX peaked at -5.2% midday which is just nasty.

A global recession is more or less a given at this stage, good luck!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what this actually means? I don't understand stick markets but I know they're spiralling out of control over the virus.

Traders are withdrawing funds as they see future reduced revenues from companies due to restrictions that may be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MarkY91 wrote: »

In points terms it's one of the greatest drops ever BUT the stock markets are up so high after years of growth that in % terms it's not so significant.

As a trend indicator though it's not good, sign of economic pessimism.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Same type of pattern as yesterday (DJ had biggest day drop in history), and the other 5 days before that.

Biggest points drop. Not actual drop

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

When are you revealing your sources and the name of the Hotel that was on "lock down" last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So is the rationale that they are effective, but need to be rationed... or that they aren't effective at preventing someone e.g. travelling on mass transit from getting infected?

Its that the average joe doesn't know how to fit them correctly or remove them without contamination so therefore they are little to no use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Thanks guys.

Very interesting times to be honest. Absolutely can't stop reading this thread and checking the news. The entire planet is involved yet so many people are laughing it off that it's just a flu and they don't care if/when a case is confirmed in ROI.

Traders are withdrawing funds as they see future reduced revenues from companies due to restrictions that may be in place.

Traders are taking profit after an astonishing bull run, which is still a bull run even though it's down. Retail investors are in for a kicking in shakey overvalued shares like Tesla. You won't be picking up the Microsoft or Disney's of the world at last year's prices anytime soon. Ryanair is even in the green today, that signals to me this thing is a little over hyped as if it was all doom Ryanair would be in the bin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Biggest points drop. Not actual drop

Still a 3.5% drop. Stock market could be down by 15% for the week by the close of business today.

The economic impact of this is profound. Although anyone watching this closely for the last couple of months already know this considering we have seen first hand how it has literally shutdown the Chinese economy.

Osborne wrote: »
    When are you revealing your sources and the name of the Hotel that was on "lock down" last night?

It was the same source as everyone else, the comedian of garda in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Brokers want to head off at noon for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

dan786 wrote: »

Tracking closer to Greenland.

Madagascar is next

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51639654

Wow. Dropping like a rock in a pond

• Advertisement

Traders are taking profit after an astonishing bull run, which is still a bull run even though it's down. Retail investors are in for a kicking in shakey overvalued shares like Tesla. You won't be picking up the Microsoft or Disney's of the world at last year's prices anytime soon. Ryanair is even in the green today, that signals to me this thing is a little over hyped as if it was all doom Ryanair would be in the bin.

Taking profits is a bit of a stretch. But would agree that it’s over hyped. It’s what the media do

Microsoft already down at last year’s prices
    Disney down at 2018 levels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement