Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what this actually means? I don't understand stick markets but I know they're spiralling out of control over the virus.

At a base level, the stock market tracks the prices of individual shares in companies.

If people believe that a company is going to make lots of profits, its shares become more valuable. If people think it's going to make a loss, its sgare price drops.

Because there are a lot of companies and lots of shares to keep track of, there are a number of "indexes". These use a calculation to determine how a certain subset of shares are doing. So rather than having to look at all of the shares yourself to see how the market in general is going, you can look at an index instead, which gives you a single figure.

The Dow Jones is one of these indexes, considered to be the bellweather for the US stock markets. Consistent increases in the Dow Jones says that investors are confident about the US economy and are buying shares in companies.
    Consistent drops tells you that people are not confident and are selling their shares in order to move their money into something safer.

Stock markets are not strictly rational. They are incredibly vulnerable to panic, hype, and other forms of manipulation.

The Dow Jones dropping by a thousand points in one day, says that a lot of people are worried about the future US economy. Dropping by a thousand points a day, every day for a week, says that there's a lot of concern that a large recession is imminent.

Like I say, the markets though aren't rational. They can panic themselves into crashing. On day 1 & 2, the index drops because people are trying to protect their money.
    On day 3+, the index drops because people are scared by what just happened on days 1 & 2.

In effect, you hit a spiral, and the index keeps dropping, because people are scared that the index is dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

BanditLuke wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51639654

Wow. Dropping like a rock in a pond

cant imagine how bad it will be if it spreads in the US like in Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Taking profits is a bit of a stretch. But would agree that it’s over hyped. It’s what the media do

Ryanair says it all. Markets aren't overly worried, Apple and a few more will take a pasting this quarter but an expected beat was already built into their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/statement-by-the-department-of-justice-and-equality-citizenship-ceremonies-scheduled-for-the-2nd-and-3rd-of-march/

Statement by the Department of Justice and Equality – Citizenship ceremonies scheduled for the 2nd and 3rd of March

The Department of Justice and Equality wishes to advise that the Citizenship ceremonies scheduled for the 2nd and 3rd of March will proceed as planned. Candidates will be notified by email or telephone today of the following:

Candidates and their guests who have returned from a COVID-19 affected region in the last 14 days or who have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case in the last 14 days, and have symptoms (a cough, shortness of breath, breathing difficulties or fever) should isolate themselves at home and phone their GP without delay, and are requested not to attend the ceremony.

The current list of COVID-19 affected regions is: Mainland China, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Iran and 4 regions in Northern Italy: Veneto, Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont

To help limit the inconvenience caused, applicants are advised that alternative ceremony will be held on or before the 17th of April. Candidates who are availing of the alternative ceremony are asked to notify Citizenship regarding their intentions on or before 29th February. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Ryanair says it all. Markets aren't overly worried, Apple and a few more will take a pasting this quarter but an expected beat was already built into their prices.

And what about Disney and Microsoft? They are at, or well below your projection? (All this said, I’m still long a number of positions. And I’m overweight China)

• Advertisement

Microsoft already down at last year’s prices
    Disney down at 2018 levels

What charts are you reading? Microsoft won't come near Feb09 prices. Disney drops another $15 and I'm loading up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The 'drop' applies to all major global markets, and the WHO still haven't (yet) called it a 'pandemic' (which it likely is), just an 'emergency'.
    The US still only has 60 or so cases, which isn't a huge number (so far), and the exact nature of the novel virus is still somewhat uncertain as of yet.

064b3SU.png

Know some very good people (fast track promotions etc) in the T&T industry, who have been told this week to take 3mths off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Runaways wrote: »
    In a heap. Not even kidding. Waiting for a call back from a doctor from the HSE number. They said within 24 hours so about 4 to go I think

Would you ring again?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, Ryanair's share price has only dropped 18.5% in the last week. The markets are clearly not worried at all...

R8fdvw1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I can't wait for this to turn into a banking crisis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me what this actually means? I don't understand stick markets but I know they're spiralling out of control over the virus.

Means f all in the grand scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

What charts are you reading? Microsoft won't come near Feb09 prices. Disney drops another $15 and I'm loading up on them.

What brokerage or application do you use?

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, Ryanair's share price has only dropped 18.5% in the last week. The markets are clearly not worried at all...

They were a hell of a lot more worried about brexit back in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Jesus Gordon Geko is spooked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

UK cobra meeting set for Monday according to Sky News over the impending crisis.

Will your man Robert Carlsye be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Taking profits is a bit of a stretch. But would agree that it’s over hyped. It’s what the media do

Microsoft already down at last year’s prices
    Disney down at 2018 levels

Nothing over-hyped about this at all. Airlines will go bust, travel companies will go bust, hotels, restaurants and all the companies that support these. There are 8 huge cruise liners being built at the moment, due for launch this year. Imagine the costs and jobs involved and the finance and borrowings involved, predicated on revenue streams when launched.

It's just kicking off. I have been watching with horror the upticks daily of those who don't get it buying the dips, thinking they are going to get incinerated in the following days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

BanditLuke wrote: »
    UK cobra meeting set for Monday according to Sky News over the impending crisis.

Will your man Robert Carlsye be there?

You think they'd meet on a weekend if its urgent

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Let's remember that 2019 was a crappy year for the global economy. All it needed was an event to tip it over the edge. The coronavirus is that event. Recession 2020 will be coming down the tracks. They can try print all the QE money they want, I don't think it will stop it this time. Some countries already talking about helicopter money once this outbreak has ceased.

If cases start to pick up here, by the end of March we could have the likes of FF & FG (along with the Greens) spouting statements "emergency government in the national interest" citing the economic & health fallout from the coronavirus & brexit trade deal talks & a GRAND plan for housing/health/other election concerns...with a "green agenda" print all over it. In the meantime we shall continue to see the song and dance between FF/FG on government formation.

Dr John Campbell most recent video is excellent, no nonsense information. He stresses that the death rate for coronavirus (obviously) depends on the countries ability to provide healthcare. We've been told by many Irish doctors we have no ability to provide care for this outbreak....we shall wait and see now, we know our official will not go down the "drastic" measures route, we will hand out leaflets at the airport and continue our wack-a-mole reactive approach.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What brokerage or application do you use?

Degiro, I'm very tempted for more Disney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have been watching with horror the upticks daily of those who don't get it buying the dips, thinking they are going to get incinerated in the following days.

Huh?

Can you post that in english, and with a link to some stocks for quick cash.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Don't panic! Nobody told the stock markets...

Now we have the economy as well as the health risks to be worried about :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nothing over-hyped about this at all. Airlines will go bust, travel companies will go bust, hotels, restaurants and all the companies that support these. There are 8 huge cruise liners being built at the moment, due for launch this year. Imagine the costs and jobs involved and the finance and borrowings involved, predicated on revenue streams when launched.

It's just kicking off. I have been watching with horror the upticks daily of those who don't get it buying the dips, thinking they are going to get incinerated in the following days.

Degiro, I'm very tempted for more Disney.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Finally. Moving in right direction although they are a bit slow..

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233413464208691200

dan786 wrote: »

What's next - very, very high?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

But Trump said...
    Update (1014ET): Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney acknowledged on Friday that the coronavirus outbreak is likely to disrupt everyday life in the US

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

gabeeg wrote: »
    What's next - very, very high?

No, according to BNO Newroom that is its highest level.

Runaways wrote: »
    In a heap. Not even kidding. Waiting for a call back from a doctor from the HSE number. They said within 24 hours so about 4 to go I think

Tweet HSE etc, usually evokes a response from authorities/companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/sunday-review/coronavirus-quarantine.html?referringSource=articleShare
    In 1918 and 1919, as the Spanish influenza swept across the country in waves, various cities reacted in their own ways.

Cities like St. Louis that reacted quickly — canceling parades and ball games, shutting schools, transit systems and government offices, ordering the sick to stay home — ultimately had fewer deaths.

In cities like Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, which were paralyzed by political feuds or pressure from local businesses to avoid shutdowns, many more ultimately died.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement