Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

dan786 wrote: »
    Finally. Moving in right direction although they are a bit slow..

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233413464208691200

Doesn't make a difference. Wont change the health authorities approach. They've been saying the same thing about risk today that they said last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Iran with only 338 cases , maybe that was accurate a month ago

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1233412439368138752

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

seamus wrote: »
    Reducing our dependence on cheap Chinese labour is something we should be doing anyway to reduce emissions.

But something like this might at least bring it into focus that concentrating a huge portion of global manufacturing into one region of the planet is not a wise strategy.

Chinese labour ain't cheap anymore. They just have a huge manufacturing capability like no one else and can supply global demand with it.

For cheap labour you go to Vietnam, Bangladesh, Cambodia (watch the labels) nowadays. And Africa will be next (if they can stop tribal warfare).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ardinn wrote: »
    Huh?

Can you post that in english, and with a link to some stocks for quick cash.

Thanks

People have clearly been buying stocks, thinking they have become cheap, during each day's fall. This is called buying the dip. It's done in the hope the panic has ended and the price will now rise, but they have misjudged it badly and prices have continued to fall so they have gotten burned.

Sorry, no tips from me, it's all down hill I think for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

5 trillion notional dollars wiped off the Dow Jones this week :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I am surprise Formula 1 hasn't been pulling the plug left right and Centre. I know China is pulled but the first few races really much be in jeopardy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Let's remember that 2019 was a crappy year for the global economy. All it needed was an event to tip it over the edge. The coronavirus is that event. Recession 2020 will be coming down the tracks. They can try print all the QE money they want, I don't think it will stop it this time. Some countries already talking about helicopter money once this outbreak has ceased.

what is helicopter money???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Cody montana

gabeeg wrote: »
    What's next - very, very high?

Munchies and bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

From the WHO Report "Remarkably, more than 40,000 HCW (Health Care Workers) have been deployed from other areas of China to support the responsein Wuhan."

Yes, 40,000. I had thought it was around 2 - 5,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

tara73 wrote: »

It's used to blow all the low hanging fruit from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

"Hong Kong permanent residents aged 18 and above will each receive a cash handout of HK$10,000 (US$1,200) in a HK$120 billion (US$15 billion) relief deal rolled out by the government to ease the burden on individuals and companies, while saving jobs."

https://www.ccn.com/10000-free-cash-hong-kongs-handout-during-coronavirus-crisis-explained/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_money

"This follows similar efforts by Macau, which will offer residents shopping vouchers, and Singapore, which will give people between $100 and $300 in a one-off payment."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1233390070784307200
    As the coronavirus spreads around the world, the Chinese government is fighting a war on two fronts: one against the virus itself and one against the truth. Beijing is desperate to protect its own image by shaping the narrative around the virus and its origins. But the time has come for the international community to demand Beijing end its war on the truth so we can work together to contain the epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

WHO - we have linked epidemics
    In other words a pandemic

Give over with all the stock market crap, last 2 pages full of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

BanditLuke wrote: »
    UK cobra meeting set for Monday according to Sky News over the impending crisis.
    Will your man Robert Carlsye be there?

Think their entire cabinet is now run by some cummings/gubbins? lad, a chap that looks like he's out on weekend release, grey tracksuit, weird comments to the press, and sinister guilt-laden looks over his shoulder etc.

Who knows that the (un-elected) 'super-forecaster' will guess-timate and instruct upon the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

First case in Iceland
    https://grapevine.is/news/2020/02/28/breaking-first-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus-in-iceland/

Seems like Rep Ireland might be one of the last in Europe to announce a case. Just a couple of other countries have not so far, Scotland ,Portugal, Poland , Hungary, Czech Republic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Don't panic! Nobody told the stock markets...

Now we have the economy as well as the health risks to be worried about :(

That could well be temporary. People are in panic mode at the moment but that panic could quickly lift if the virus spread slows down.

Comparing this to the 2008 global financial crash (as some have done) is premature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Scotland isn't a country.

gabeeg wrote: »
    Tracking closer to Greenland.

Madagascar is next

It will be devastating when it hits the small Greenlandic communities :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I hope someone rings in and asks this
    Ninthlife wrote: »
    Im no scientist or doctor but I reckon we could kill it with fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Scotland isn't a country.

Correct. The United Kingdom has 19 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

so the info i have, is its basically just a bad flu for most people, people who are dying from it are over 50 or have problems with there lungs,

correct me if i am wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

so the info i have, is its basically just a bad flu for most people, people who are dying from it are over 50 or have problems with there lungs,

Oh that's a relief. Thanks for letting us know.

We were all getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

Shows over folks. Lets go home

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There are people younger then that who have died. It is more likely that you will die if you are older but not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's when a government gives out money to the public in the hope they will spend it and so provide an economic boost. IMO it is the smartest way to boost economic activity there is. Instead, you have clowns like the Federal Reserve in the US and the ECB in Europe, sort of handing out money to banks and corporations instead of consumers. This IMO is rank stupidity.

After the last global financial crisis, the Australian government handed out helicopter money to all eleigible adults, think it was AU$900 each. And it worked, Australia sailed through the aftermath of the GFC unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

people will be more than happy to be on trolleys by the end of next month if it takes of like Wuhan and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Mike from WHO
    Mike WHO wrote:
    "We've already seen in quite sophisticated countries who've had a rapid rise in cases in the last week are having trouble coping with the clinical case loads... Health systems around the world, north and south are just not ready"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Correct. Talks of a global economic meltdown ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

pc7 wrote: »
    You think they'd meet on a weekend if its urgent

Boris weekends in the country away from the peasant scum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement