Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Switzerland bans gatherings of more than 1000 people. Because you know, unnecessary gatherings of thousands of people probably isn't a great idea. Plenty of football, rugby, concerts in the future to look forward to. And I'm led to believe there have been many in the past too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thats interesting. Wonder why they believe it. I find it hard to believe several thousand cases worldwide in a few days is not spreading freely

It can be very contagious in the way it is transmitted but it seems only certain people are contracting the virus - others are coming into close contact with carriers and not catching it. That would explain it moving rapidly from country to country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's when a government gives out money to the public in the hope they will spend it and so provide an economic boost. IMO it is the smartest way to boost economic activity there is. Instead, you have clowns like the Federal Reserve in the US and the ECB in Europe, sort of handing out money to banks and corporations instead of consumers. This IMO is rank stupidity.

After the last global financial crisis, the Australian government handed out helicopter money to all eleigible adults, think it was AU$900 each. And it worked, Australia sailed through the aftermath of the GFC unscathed.

Yes Ben Bernanke the then chairman of the federal reserve suggested Helicopter money at an emergency meeting after Lehman bros crashed but instead they decided to do QE to the major investment banks and blew up our present bubble which seems to have burst.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Runaways wrote: »
    I will. Let the clock run down tho

I find this approach weird. If it was me, Id be ringing constantly. Trust me, if they havent rang you by now, they're not going to ring. If I was as sick as you say you are, I definitely wouldnt be waiting for a call back...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Runaways wrote: »
    I will. Let the clock run down tho

Are you in the one of the at risk categories \ demographics?
    If you ring back, stress that.

If you're not in one of those categories, if it is the coronavirus then self isolation and bed rest in vast majority of cases should see you through.

The risk is that you picked up something treatable in Cambodia but because of this coronavirus concern you can't get the basic treatment from your GP.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

80% of people get mild symptoms - many will not even know they have it.

That's not true.

From WHO report:
    Most people infected with COVID-19 virus have mild disease and recover. Approximately
    80% of laboratory confirmed patients have had mild to moderate disease, which includes
    non-pneumonia and pneumonia cases
    , 13.8% have severe disease (dyspnea, respiratory
    frequency ≥30/minute, blood oxygen saturation ≤93%, PaO2/FiO2 ratio <300, and/or lung
    infiltrates >50% of the lung field within 24-48 hours) and 6.1% are critical (respiratory
    failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure). Asymptomatic infection
    has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on
    the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly
    asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to
    be a major driver of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

anyone know where to get face masks. i cant find any in any pharmacies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Firstly, Scotland is a country. It chooses to be represented at many international forae, including the Olympics, under the umbrella of the United Kingdom.

Secondly, helicopter money is not the reason Australia floated through the Great Recession. Vast natural resources, that hugely increased in value, is the reason they floated through.

Lastly, it's the weekend folks. I sincerely believe my company (with over 2,000 employees) will be working from home next week, so bringing the laptop with me. Stay healthy *salutes*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Peatys wrote: »
    504102.jpg

Been saying it all along, the amount of people on here banging on about getting masks... its legit up there with buying all the bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    It can be very contagious in the way it is transmitted but it seems only certain people are contracting the virus - others are coming into close contact with carriers and not catching it. That would explain it moving rapidly from country to country.

Check back in 7-10 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

no facemasks are the right way to go. they just dont want people panicking and buying them all so first line medical can access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is a terrible place to get info go to the hse website

i dont know who to believe, HSE cant handle the country at its best, so who on earth is going to trust them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

harr wrote: »
    Ok so no one in Ireland has it yet ( not officially) but how are the HSE going to know if they are not testing a lot of people presenting with symptoms, I know a couple who returned from Italy last week ( south) and one of them has started to feel unwell , granted it’s probably not the virus but they did contact GP as a precaution who told her to contact HSE who in turn told her to ring GP .. when she contacted GP again he told her
    “ you will be grand it’s probably only normal flu or chest infection “

I honestly don’t have much faith in the HSE to manage this.

Exactly my experience yesterday. Bounced back and forth between the two with no result.

They’re not dealing with this at all

I’m beginning to think it’s a smokescreen to save the paddy’s week festival and the precious tourist dollars. And I laughed at that suggestion when it’s been made here earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Strazdas wrote: »

Yeh its very odd, wonder if there is a specific route /method of infection that is particularly contagious that has not been found out yet. Like I remember they tracked a man who had covid from China who had gone on holidays to Mexico City and like 30 people he interacted with all tested negative. Then you have a church and boat with a thousand cases each

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Cupatae wrote: »
    Been saying it all along, the amount of people on here banging on about getting masks... its legit up there with buying all the bread...

This is very poor advice from CDC because facemasks also massively reduce transmission risk especially in crowded spaces.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

January 2020 unfortunatley!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it o'connell St or Connolly Station?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

maninasia wrote: »
    This is very poor advice from CDC because facemasks also massively reduce transmission risk especially in crowded spaces.

The problem is the quantity people are buying, its nonsense and in most cases not necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Online from places like Amazon but at a premium unfortunately.

• Advertisement

no facemasks are the right way to go. they just dont want people panicking and buying them all so first line medical can access them.

CDC are wrong. They should differentiate that n95 are kept for medical staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Can't we just ask the virus to self isolate and if it doesn't comply it'll be locked in a cell listening to a 100 episodes of Liveline?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I don't have much to add other than Simon Harris is an absolute fcukwit.

The notion of not releasing information to the public over the 1 case travelling from Dublin airport is terrible behaviour denying people a chance to take precautions.

he is a gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Are people still planning on travelling? I'm suppose to be going to Amsterdam next weekend. My heart is saying go my head is saying maybe not a great idea. I was so looking forward to heading off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

maninasia wrote: »
    Only when worn by people who have the illness. If you're healthy and wearing a mask, and the guy beside you is coughing, the mask will do close to fvck all to save you.

Far more effective, is not going to into crowded spaces when you feel unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

fr336 wrote: »
    Can't we just ask the virus to self isolate and if it doesn't comply it'll be locked in a cell listening to a 100 episodes of Liveline?

Liveline will only increase its thirst for death.

Cupatae wrote: »
    The problem is the quantity people are buying, its nonsense and in most cases not necessary

Yes , the HSE should have a plan to distribute masks to the population per family, a few per week. Of course they don't though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Are you in the one of the at risk categories \ demographics?
    If you ring back, stress that.

If you're not in one of those categories, if it is the coronavirus then self isolation and bed rest in vast majority of cases should see you through.

The risk is that you picked up something treatable in Cambodia but because of this coronavirus concern you can't get the basic treatment from your GP.

Gotcha. I cut my leg really badly over there and was eaten alive by sandflies. I got antibiotics for both and completed the course. Came home last week and about three days ago got really sick.
    It’s flu. It’s dogsh*t awful I’m feeling. Throat is freaking me out. It’s tight and feels like a crush on it and I’m coughing randomly and lengthily no phlegm anymore tho which I think is good?

Don’t open this pic if you’re squeamish
    It was pure green seeping next morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fritzelly wrote: »
    Check back in 7-10 days

Well the confirmed cases in the UK so far are surprisingly low. Only 15 or 16 in a densely populated country of 65 million people.....and the first cases were reported on January 31.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement