Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

channaigh wrote: »
    Are people still planning on travelling? I'm suppose to be going to Amsterdam next weekend. My heart is saying go my head is saying maybe not a great idea. I was so looking forward to heading off.

Heading to London tomorrow. Can't really see any reason not too.

Its likely as prominant here as it is there and I don't really intend on locking myself in doors regardless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

joeysoap wrote: »
    I understand they can’t check everybody at airports but I would have thought that anyone arriving from northern Italy ie Verona, Venice, Milan and maybe even Rome ..........?

Airport screening isn't effective considering the incubation period is anywhere between 2 and 3 weeks. That's why authorities are focusing their efforts on identifying people with symptoms in the community.

They don't have unlimited resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Peatys wrote: »
    I got the video and it said it was jurys inn Christchurch :D

Edit, here you go..

https://streamable.com/9ifs8

It is not Christchurch.Unless they changed the front recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Yeah i'm hoping temperature does have an impact. See Singapore have reported very few cases lately. Same with Thailand, Philippines etc

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

I'm thinking about releasing a mail to clients saying all work will be done remotely for the foreseeable . My husband thinks I'm being over the top and has no intention of stopping visits. I'm immune compromised, work from home whilst he's on the road making visits.

I'll have the mail drafted over the weekend and if he still doesn't hear me I'll make up a bed in the shed for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1233406525491814400

think Corona beer might need to do a rebrand.

It's called Coronita in some places already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Yeah i'm hoping temperature does have an impact. See Singapore have reported very few cases lately. Same with Thailand, Philippines etc

Singapore Thailand etc have done a very good job of contact tracing and quarantining - as well as having widespread use of face masks.

I don't think the weather factors into it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

loveall wrote: »
    I'm thinking about releasing a mail to clients saying all work will be done remotely for the foreseeable . My husband thinks I'm being over the top and has no intention of stopping visits. I'm immune compromised, work from home whilst he's on the road making visits.

I'll have the mail drafted over the weekend and if he still doesn't hear me I'll make up a bed in the shed for him!

Personally if you're one of the at risk people, it's a no brainer if you ask me. It's still highly unlikely to even affect you, but we take precautions generally so why not when this is starting up and nobody knows where it's going? All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Regardless of the lack of infections here there is a massive risk to immunocompronised people considering we know very little about the virus.

Your husband should be taking your concerns more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51669434

Can you imagine the germs on shopping trolleys, and door handles, and coins and cash. It will spread so easily in Ireland if it takes hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

fritzelly wrote: »
    They disinfected it

How do you know ?

And what about the bus from the airport to Connolly Station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

anyone know where to get face masks. i cant find any in any pharmacies

Welcome to January 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How do you know ?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0228/1118104-coronavirus-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

seamus wrote: »
    The US numbers will start to explode.
    Their shambles of a health system means that the majority of people won't go near a doctor unless they're dragged to it in an ambulance.

About a third of Americans either have no health insurance or only have very basic/specific cover, which means that in order to get tested for coronavirus will be a trip to the hospital and several hundred dollars out of pocket. Plus they probably won't have sick leave/sick pay.

So they'll have a lot of infected walking the streets, going to work and trying to get on with their lives, spreading the infection around. They'll hit a tipping point and go from a few hundred cases to tens of thousands inside a couple of weeks.
    Read that the test for the virus can cost three thousand dollars ( saw it on Twitter)fake news I’d say. But you are right people without medical insurance in trouble. Anyone know how much the test for the virus costs in US just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So almost 700 people in Italy have tested positive for coronavirus. On the plus side 60 million people in Italy are still okay.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can you imagine the germs on shopping trolleys, and door handles, and coins and cash. It will spread so easily in Ireland if it takes hold.
    Would the same germ logic not apply everywhere? Do other countries not use doors?

How do you know ?

Translink and Irish Rail confirmed they disinfected all enterprise carriages last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Gaffney/status/1233437549886132225?s=20

This is connected. I don't know how, I don't know why, but this is connected!

Follow the money people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just going on what you've posted above, it'd be a pliers, car battery and chainsaw I'd be setting up for his shed visit, not a bed.

citysights wrote: »
    Read that the test for the virus can cost three thousand dollars ( saw it on Twitter)fake news I’d say. But you are right people without medical insurance in trouble. Anyone know how much the test for the virus costs in US just out of interest?

More fake news - they cost about 5 euro, depending on supplier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

FTSE 100 closing at its lowest since the 2008 crash.

Hopefully Western economics can avoid having to do what China has to halt the outbreak.

I doubt London would take as well to a 6 week quarantine as Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

fr336 wrote: »
    So almost 700 people in Italy have tested positive for coronavirus. On the plus side 60 million people in Italy are still okay.

Yeah but the thing to watch is when those numbers start going up and the Italians decide they're going to switch sides and start fighting for coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was listening to RTE's podcast on the coronavirus earlier (available here) and found this comment about smoking interesting:
    Ray Walley: The one I’d like to throw in is cigarette smoking. We don’t know from the data in China how smoking history affects [susceptibility to coronavirus]. We have data about other coronaviruses. So, when we did the smoking ban here 10 or so years ago, the rate of respiratory infections, many of which are coronaviruses actually dropped dramatically in workers in restaurants, hotels and bars after the smoking ban. So without having solid data from China, I would be very surprised if it’s not cigarette smoking over many years that has an impact. There’s people with chronic lung disease that are dying from this. So I would put out an anti-smoking message quite strongly.

Was thinking this might help to explain why younger people appear to be less susceptible to the worst effects of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Yeah but American companies inflate prices for insurance

You'd need to apply the Freedom Markup for America.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

mlem123 wrote: »
    Yeah but American companies inflate prices for insurance

This is not an insurance issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do you have information on how Italy ignored the proper response, and let's say France did not?
    Italian government stated that they banned all flights to/from China because they had no National Airline that flew there, which they could give instructions to.
    While other Countries such as UK and Germany have a National Airline that flew there and therefore they could instruct their BA, Lufthansa and so on.

So the Chinese people that travelled to Italy since then, flew via other airports such as Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris, London...
    Is it possible that they infected people on those flights, though.

Not necessarily in America, it's a ridiculously profiteering industry there.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the thing to watch is when those numbers start going up and the Italians decide they're going to switch sides and start fighting for coronavirus.

I get that reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement