Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Today's numbers from Italy just published - now 821 infected and 21 dead.
    source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

China threw the kitchen sink at this virus and stock markets which represent smart money are crashing while the HSE assessment is that this is slightly worse than a common cold .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    They dont refuse treatment. They treat people and then bill them afterwards. That's how it works. A person presenting at a hospital is not going to be sent away, in fact it's illegal to refuse emergency treatment because of a lack of insurance.

Also, uninsured people can visit an urgent care facility and see a doctor for about the cost of a doctors visit in ireland. Yes it's bad here but its not as bad as people make out. The majority of people have some form of insurance with Medicaid being provided to the poorest

Thanks for clarifying good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sigma101 wrote: »
    Today's numbers from Italy just published - now 821 infected and 21 dead.
    source

Yeah but it’s not as bad as it seems:
    At 5pm there are 821 people suffering from Coronavirus in Italy. In addition there are 46 recovered and 21 deceased. Among the 821 patients, 412 are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms, and are in home isolation. 345 are hospitalized, 64 in intensive care. ". Said the head of civil protection Angelo Borrelli." 4 people have died today, three of whom are over 80 years old and a 77 year old. We still don't know if they died as a consequence of the coronavirus. The higher health institute will tell us, "he added, making it clear that the elderly also had other pathologies. Then he reassured:" "The assistance to the population continues: on Monday the post offices will reopen to pay pensions. In the red areas the life will continue regularly. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

reports coming from Iran are saying death toll is way higher than official figures - 210.

Also reports coming Iran has suspended parliament.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51669434

scary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

‘64 in intensive care’

Is that in one area of Italy or spread out, is there anyway Ireland today could put 64 people in ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So I wonder what the actual infected number is in Iran. With a death toll like that you'd hope it's high to match..

It's disturbing situation in that part of Iran. What are the chances a minister goes on TV looking unwell and is then diagnosed that evening? Then another official happens to get diagnosed.

They must be seriously under reporting the cases. The official confirmed cases to death ratio looks alarming whatever way they are going about this.

Another concern must be Turkey. Not hearing much from there despite the confirmed transits of coronavirus incumbents through Istanbul.

It's very disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,554 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Doesn't anybody read this thread before they post the link that's being posted several times already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

345 being hospitalized out of 821 in Italy, would be a worry for hospitals here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

MadYaker wrote: »
    They can’t just randomly label things like that. They have a system of grading outbreaks based on data, number of cases etc. This outbreak is currently one level below pandemic. Science ya know?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143061/

Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response: A WHO Guidance Document.
    The WHO pandemic phases were developed in 1999 and revised in 2005. The phases are applicable to the entire world and provide a global framework to aid countries in pandemic preparedness and response planning. In this revision, WHO has retained the use of a six-phased approach for easy incorporation of new recommendations and approaches into existing national preparedness and response plans.
    ?report=objectonly
    Phase 4 is characterized by verified human-to-human transmission of an animal or human-animal influenza reassortant virus able to cause “community-level outbreaks”. The ability to cause sustained disease outbreaks in a community marks a significant upwards shift in the risk of a pandemic

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

?report=objectonly

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

was their definition of a pandemic before they changed it last weekend..
    They are giving the wealthy investors time to dump their stocks..

https://www.dw.com/en/investors-flee-from-controversial-pandemic-bonds-with-coronavirus-set-to-trigger-payout/a-52539926

In June 2017, the World Bank — the international financial institution that provides loans to poorer countries — sold around $425 million (€391 million) worth of bonds and derivatives aimed at providing financial support to developing countries facing the risk of a pandemic.

The idea behind the bonds was to place some of the risk for low-income countries of a pandemic onto the financial markets, rather than their own governments' budgets. Investors who bought the bonds would only lose money if certain trigger conditions relating to a pandemic were met.

If those conditions are triggered, the bonds are not repaid in full and the money is used instead to help tackle the crisis in developing countries.

The growing coronavirus outbreak around the world has prompted many of the investors who bought up the bonds to sell them off, as it looks increasingly likely that the conditions for the bonds not to be paid back will be met.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

wadacrack wrote: »

Plus 64 ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Aer Lingus cabin crew to self isolate for 14 days (not confirmed cases) - the plane that brought the woman from NI back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I agree - that's over 40% of those discovered as infected needing hospitalisation. They won't be able to keep that up if the numbers continue to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy confirmed cases has now risen to 888 according to Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Italy in big trouble now with those numbers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah but it’s not as bad as it seems:

So nearly 50% of known cases require hospitalisation, that's incredible.

I wonder if the huge number of patients in Italy experiencing complications is due to how old it's population is compared to China. The average Italian is almost a decade older than the average Chinese person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Doesn't anybody read this thread before they post the link that's being posted several times already!

I've read shorter books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Cupatae wrote: »
    How? sur the people that work in hospitals would naturally tell there own family and social media... no chance of keeping it under wraps.

Okay, let's wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I've read shorter books

You'd be amazed at how little some people have to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Worrying , but that may represent a % of the most severely affected while many are undiscovered or walking it off , nevertheless it will have a huge impact . It will become apparent over the next week if this is worthy of the Chinese reaction .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Italy confirmed cases has now risen to 888 according to Reuters

Is an age group break down available, I know the well known doctor in China was young but I wonder is it mainly old and people with prior conditions being affected. I also read that very few children are catching the virus, which is good in that children can spread viruses easily due to poor hygiene.

i wouldn't have time to read the whole tread, who on earth does that

Me!

I hate jumping to the end and not knowing how I got there.

See ya at the final page ;)

Ipso wrote: »
    Is an age group break down available, I know the well known doctor in China was young but I wonder is it mainly old and people with prior conditions being affected. I also read that very few children are catching the virus, which is good in that children can spread viruses easily due to poor hygiene.

There is no link between age and contracting the virus. It is how the body deals with the virus once contracted where age becomes important, very few young people experience dangerous complciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's a very fast moving thread tbf

Worrying , but that may represent a % of the most severely affected while many are undiscovered or walking it off , nevertheless it will have a huge impact . It will become apparent over the next week if this is worthy of the Chinese reaction .

Didn't the WHO say recently that they found no evidence of the "iceberg" in China?

Only widespread antibody testing will tell us that, but the possibility is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cupatae wrote: »
    Even slow our health system would be in a heap its been neglected for so long, were reaping what we sow now.

I disagree, billions have been thrown at it, but intransigent Unions and inefficient management are the root cause IMO.

Hope all hsp stay safe, they do a great job as individuals/teams.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr Flicky

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Italians are known for their weakness and namby pamby ways so it’s no surprise they are unable for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement