Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Worrying , but that may represent a % of the most severely affected while many are undiscovered or walking it off , nevertheless it will have a huge impact . It will become apparent over the next week if this is worthy of the Chinese reaction .
    WHO said that wasn't the case in China. They didn't find any evidence of a hidden Iceberg of patients. Obviously can't be sure, but that would not be a good sign for hospitalisation rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Worrying , but that may represent a % of the most severely affected while many are undiscovered or walking it off , nevertheless it will have a huge impact . It will become apparent over the next week if this is worthy of the Chinese reaction .

No true. Bruce Aylward from WHO knocked that on the head already. There is no vast amount of mild symptoms undetected. They hoped there was.

The 80/16/4 ratio are pretty exact.

And he warned the CFR would be higher in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's a very fast moving thread tbf

Thread is moving faster than the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Didn't the WHO say recently that they found no evidence of the "iceberg" in China?

Only widespread antibody testing will tell us that, but the possibility is alarming.

As are the multiple reports of either relapse or reinfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Doesn't anybody read this thread before they post the link that's being posted several times already!
    Are you kidding?
    This thread is going faster than a speeding bullet. There's no way posters can keep up.
    So chill a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

is there any good news at all today?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

A scary thing about the figures from Iran (even the official ones, never mind the ones now being reported) is that there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to close mosques so there will have been crowds getting together all day for Friday prayers. That's a real boost to opportunities for infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

froog wrote: »

Harry and Meghan are still in Canada.

Me!

I hate jumping to the end and not knowing how I got there.

See ya at the final page ;)
    There will be a final page?
    Who will be alive to read it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Some of us made it to the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1233406525491814400

think Corona beer might need to do a rebrand.

never liked it anyway..pi***y beer:D

It's Friday!

When the experts speak of a mild illness, their definition may be different to a patient’s. Mild, of course, means you don’t require hospital admission, but got anybody who has suffered an Influenza virus illness and weathered it out at home, it has taken a few weeks out of their lives, it has rendered them unfit for anything but bed for up to a week, it had probably caused a post-acute-phase depression, it has taken them out of work for at least two weeks or more if job involves caring for vulnerable people, being a pilot, and other jobs where concentration is critical.

Going on past experience of influenza and what I’m hearing, even a “mild” episode of Covid-19 will render you rather unwell, and unable to work or do many of your normal responsibilities for up to a month. Between falling ill, going through the phase of being rather unwell, self-isolation, and recovering strength, it will take a minimum of 3 and probably more weeks before re-participating in society. That’s a month out of life for up to half the population, if it does its worst on society, which is no joke. Quite apart from those who will not survive and those who survive with damage to vital organs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Youll probably be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Some of us made it to the future.

But the future ain't the same as it used to be ... .. .

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

fr336 wrote: »

And the Canadian government is no longer going to pay for their security costs.
    I wonder if they're going to do some Fergie-type money-earners, the embarrassment of the rest of the royal family should provide us all with a laugh if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

fr336 wrote: »

They're not actually, Harry is in London today recording a song with Jon Bon Jovi. I **** you not.

Ok, I just read the last 3 pages of this thread, and now I feel dizzy.

Hope I'm not coming down with somethin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Someone posted a link to tracking the bed situation in Irish hospitals earlier- anyone have that link again?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I disagree, billions have been thrown at it, but intransigent Unions and inefficient management are the root cause IMO.

Hope all hsp stay safe, they do a great job as individuals/teams.

It ll be the real litmus test if it breaks out proper here, cant knock the staff just not enough to go round.I mean they were already stretched before this imagine what it will be like with a proper out break.

Billions spent not a whole pile to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Brother back home safe, self isolating, he is relived to be home. He reckons he was lucky to get out.
    in s korea everyine wearing masks, people constantly cleaning subways etc.
    gets on plane 50pc have masks, gets to turkey noone wearing masks, he seen multiple people coughing heavily, both irish and english heading back.
    nothing in Dublin airport, literally nothing. hes sorta shook to be honest, he was a month in korea and saw how much was being done, comes back into EU.... nothing.
    he thinks travel from s korea will be stopped soon. the cases are exploding there..
    i too would like someone to give us a bit of good news because thinks are looking grim atm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

tromtipp wrote: »
    A scary thing about the figures from Iran (even the official ones, never mind the ones now being reported) is that there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to close mosques so there will have been crowds getting together all day for Friday prayers. That's a real boost to opportunities for infection.

Iran recently had a General Election and mass political rallies, seems like the damage is already done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

They're not actually, Harry is in London today recording a song with Jon Bon Jovi. I **** you not.

2020 is one big nightmare, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to tracking the bed situation in Irish hospitals earlier- anyone have that link again?

http://137.191.241.85/ed/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Quite apart from those who will not survive and those who survive with damage to vital organs.

Any more info on this?

And what's the 50% of population figure based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Yes. Italy returning to normal. Once a country gets over a few hundred diagnosed cases, it just gets back to normal :

"In Italy, meanwhile, authorities announced they were planning to reopen schools and museums in some of the areas less hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with even the hardest hit regions Lombardy and Veneto in the north leaning toward opening schools as well.

“The aim is to return to normalcy,’’ the governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, told state TV in an interview noting that it was an area where tourism was the biggest source of income, bringing in $18bn annually."

Guardian Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think the big issue is going to be when Pennys and Dunnes run of underwear due to the closed factories in china :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We don't ALL go there, you sound a bit Jel there lol. But I reckon you are low level trolling most of the time, enough to get a response, but not enough to ban you. Ha ha.

I take offence to some of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement