Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

When the experts speak of a mild illness, their definition may be different to a patient’s. Mild, of course, means you don’t require hospital admission, but got anybody who has suffered an Influenza virus illness and weathered it out at home, it has taken a few weeks out of their lives, it has rendered them unfit for anything but bed for up to a week, it had probably caused a post-acute-phase depression, it has take. Them out of work for at least two weeks or more if job involves caring for vulnerable people, being a pilot, and other jobs where concentration is critical.

Going on past experience of influenza and what I’m hearing, even a “mild” episode of Covid-19 will render you rather unwell, and unable to work or do many of your normal responsibilities for up to a month. Between falling ill, going through the phase of being rather unwell, self-isolation, and recovering strength, it will take a minimum of 3 and probably more weeks before re-participating in society. That’s a month out of life for up to half the population, if it does its worst on society, which is no joke. Quite apart from those who will not survive and those who survive with damage to vital organs.

How factual is this? or is it speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Yes - ban in force for European travel and Asia the past 24 hours.

I've had to sign legal document that I've not got virus or travelled to afflicted areas, for meeting in France next week. Warning on document that I could be prosecuted under French law for lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Brother back home safe, self isolating, he is relived to be home. He reckons he was lucky to get out.
    in s korea everyine wearing masks, people constantly cleaning subways etc.
    gets on plane 50pc have masks, gets to turkey noone wearing masks, he seen multiple people coughing heavily, both irish and english heading back.
    nothing in Dublin airport, literally nothing. hes sorta shook to be honest, he was a month in korea and saw how much was being done, comes back into EU.... nothing.
    he thinks travel from s korea will be stopped soon. the cases are exploding there..
    i too would like someone to give us a bit of good news because thinks are looking grim atm...

I am shocked how little precautions are being taken all around Europe. Fair enough when it was off contained far away in China but I thought many governments would be alarmed by how quickly the situation had escalated in Italy, if it can happen there it can happen in any other country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to tracking the bed situation in Irish hospitals earlier- anyone have that link again?

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yes. Italy returning to normal. Once a country gets over a few hundred diagnosed cases, it just gets back to normal :

"In Italy, meanwhile, authorities announced they were planning to reopen schools and museums in some of the areas less hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with even the hardest hit regions Lombardy and Veneto in the north leaning toward opening schools as well.

“The aim is to return to normalcy,’’ the governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, told state TV in an interview noting that it was an area where tourism was the biggest source of income, bringing in $18bn annually."

Guardian Service.

No rugbyball though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think criticisms of any particular health service (or Donald Trump for the US) are pretty meaningless now. Even the best health systems are completely vulnerable, some more than others but not by a significant amount. But if it hits your shores the WHO say you have to put in the most drastic containment measures because you simply can't allow it to spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No rugbyball though.

If detections in Ireland in Ireland exceed 500 of so over the next few days, they will probably put the game back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes. Italy returning to normal. Once a country gets over a few hundred diagnosed cases, it just gets back to normal :

"In Italy, meanwhile, authorities announced they were planning to reopen schools and museums in some of the areas less hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with even the hardest hit regions Lombardy and Veneto in the north leaning toward opening schools as well.

“The aim is to return to normalcy,’’ the governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, told state TV in an interview noting that it was an area where tourism was the biggest source of income, bringing in $18bn annually."

Guardian Service.

I know they have the economy in mind but surely even with the most hands off approach they're clearly not expecting this to be as bad as China if they're doing these things? Clinging to any hope I can, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that report on the six one news was cheerful wasn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

If detections in Ireland in Ireland exceed 500 of so over the next few days, they will probably put the game back on.

They won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

citysights wrote: »
    Read that the test for the virus can cost three thousand dollars ( saw it on Twitter)fake news I’d say. But you are right people without medical insurance in trouble. Anyone know how much the test for the virus costs in US just out of interest?
    I don't know for the US, but heard here in Germany, if you want to get tested and don't fall into the categories the health insurance is paying for it, you can pay for yourself and it costs 'in the higher double digits, so around 70-90€. Not thaaat much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think criticisms of any particular health service (or Donald Trump for the US) are pretty meaningless now.

Trump claiming everything is fine, the stock market look good and not asking congress for next to near enough emergency funding is not meaningless.

It's beyond reckless. It's what the Iranians seem to be doing.

tara73 wrote: »
    I don't know for the US, but heard here in Germany, if you want to get tested and don't fall into the categories the health insurance is paying for it, you can pay for yourself and it costs 'in the higher double digits, so around 70-90€. Not thaaat much.

Wait hold on, they are charging people to be tested in Germany?

Itssoeasy wrote: »

What did they say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

fr336 wrote: »
    I know they have the economy in mind but surely even with the most hands off approach they're clearly not expecting this to be as bad as China if they're doing these things? Clinging to any hope I can, I guess.

In the past 24 hours, China reported 329 new cases - the lowest for a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Was listening to RTE's podcast on the coronavirus earlier (available here) and found this comment about smoking interesting:

Was thinking this might help to explain why younger people appear to be less susceptible to the worst effects of it?

They were saying it seemed to affect men more than women and they were theorizing it was down to the fact that 50% of Chinese men smoke compared to 2% of Chinese women.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

quokula wrote: »
    No chance I'm gonna convince my cat to do that.

One of mine once brought home a headless hare! No idea who got the head..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

the only positive i can take right now is that the inevitable comical mismanagement of this thing in the US will massively hurt Trump's election chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Boggles wrote: »
    Trump claiming everything is fine, the stock market look good and not asking congress for next to near enough emergency funding is not meaningless.

How much is he asking for?
    What should he be asking for? How is that calculated? By who? And what would it achieve?

What are the Iranians doing that South Korea isn't doing? Any sources?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Boggles wrote: »

Its all about the money the elite dont give a bollock how many average joes die they re only numbers to them at the back of it all them and there families get top health care and safety 0 ****s given.

They wont risk losing a dime limiting stuff will only be done when profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

You swear the world was ending judging by the supermarkets.

**** sake lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233454876304314368

I think that's the largest daily increase in cases for Italy so far but not 100% sure

In the past 24 hours, China reported 329 new cases - the lowest for a month.

Chinas figures are meaningless. They've been on shutdown for 7 weeks now and the world economy is on the brink of collapsing so its highly likely they are fiddling the real rate of infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Itssoeasy wrote: »

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

froog wrote: »
    the only positive i can take right now is that the inevitable comical mismanagement of this thing in the US will massively hurt Trump's election chances.

You have more faith in the American electorate then I.

Wait hold on, they are charging people to be tested in Germany?

You seem outraged?

Have a read of that post you quoted again. And think about what you seem to be suggesting.

Are you really suggesting that any old joe should be able to rock up to any hospital/ GP and demand free testing without meeting any criteria??

Chinas figures are meaningless. They've been on shutdown for 7 weeks now and the world economy is on the brink of collapsing so its highly likely they are fiddling the real rate of infections.

By what measurement is the world economy on the brink of collapsing?

Paddigol wrote: »
    You seem outraged?

Have a read of that post you quoted again. And think about what you seem to be suggesting.

Are you really suggesting that any old joe should be able to rock up to any hospital/ GP and demand free testing without meeting any criteria??

Yes

What outrage. I'm not German I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

5 Serie A games in Italy will be open to fans.

Im sure attendances will be down but that seems very very risky.

• Advertisement

You swear the world was ending judging by the supermarkets.

**** sake lads.

Havnt been to a supermarket in a few days but are they actually all cleared out? Thats unbelievable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement