Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

fr336 wrote: »
    What happened?

They had a news report about the coronavirus around the world and talked about the case in the north. It wasn't anything panic inducing but it didn't give much hope for an end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Chinas figures are meaningless. They've been on shutdown for 7 weeks now and the world economy is on the brink of collapsing so its highly likely they are fiddling the real rate of infections.

I'm sure you could level the same accusation at any country. What we do know is that China's reported mortality rate is almost identical to Italy's. So maybe that just proves the Italians are also fiddling. Or maybe you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

froog wrote: »
    the only positive i can take right now is that the inevitable comical mismanagement of this thing in the US will massively hurt Trump's election chances.

One can only hope so.. and the stock market / economy will tell all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

just seen on the news there hospitals so overcrowded a child had to be treated on the floor, anyone that thinks our health care is up to this in for an awful shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Where would you live that they are sold out?

My local shops are full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yes

What outrage. I'm not German I couldn't care less.

Right. Well that's an idiotic suggestion and a pretty sure way to cripple the capacity of the healthcare system - public and private - when you have every hypochondriacal, hysterical person demanding that they take up doctors' time because they have a sniffly nose.

FFS. The idiots of the world will have us all killed long before any virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

covid-19-new-cases-graphic-feb-28.png

Singapore seems to managing their outbreak so far. No deaths and 69 out of 98 cases have been discharged.

tromtipp wrote: »
    A scary thing about the figures from Iran (even the official ones, never mind the ones now being reported) is that there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to close mosques so there will have been crowds getting together all day for Friday prayers. That's a real boost to opportunities for infection.

You would think that prayers could be organised via technology, eg video link, where the faithful could orient their prayer map in direction of Mecca and gave Imam on video leading the prayers. Like Sunday Mass & Services on the TV. Or radio. It would take sensible Imams like Dr Al-Qadhri to instigate this and appraise the faithful that it fulfills religious practice under the circumstances.

is there any good news at all today?

The good news is my turkey will be ready in just over an hour! It smells delish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

wakka12 wrote: »
    Havnt been to a supermarket in a few days but are they actually all cleared out? Thats unbelievable

Was in Tesco last night and wouldn't know any different. Has there been a run on them today?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

givyjoe wrote: »
    Was in Tesco last night and wouldn't know any different. Has there been a run on them today?!

Literally just left a tesco and it was fully stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

You would think that prayers could be organised via technology, eg video link, where the faithful could orient their prayer map in direction of Mecca and gave Imam on video leading the prayers. Like Sunday Mass & Services on the TV. Or radio. It would take sensible Imams like Dr Al-Qadhri to instigate this and appraise the faithful that it fulfills religious practice under the circumstances.

But Allah trumps all!! 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The good news is my turkey will be ready in just over an hour! It smells delish

Who cooks a Turkey at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Cupatae wrote: »
    just seen on the news there hospitals so overcrowded a child had to be treated on the floor, anyone that thinks our health care is up to this in for an awful shock.

Sorry, where was this?

covid-19-new-cases-graphic-feb-28.png

Singapore seems to managing their outbreak so far. No deaths and 69 out of 98 cases have been discharged.

Singapore is a good place to be sick, with its health & safety culture & societal discipline. The climate may be a factor too as it’s always warm & tropical; however it’s also very humid with high rainfall, and people spend a lot of time in air conditioning indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Wait hold on, they are charging people to be tested in Germany?

no, not at all. you are tested (for free, your mandatory health insurance is paying it) if you have symptoms of covid-19 and been in one of the regions of the biggest outbreaks like China, Italy etc.
    If you have no typical symptoms, havn't been in the regions but want to get tested, you would have to pay it for yourself.

but the hospitals in germany are so understaffed too, nobodies doing tests for people showing no typical symptoms, especially not now. maybe private laboratories. hmm, think I'm just on to some business idea here...wouldn't be wondering if there popping up private covid-19 testing laboratories everywhere soon..:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Literally just left a tesco and it was fully stocked.

Same here did a big shop in Supervalu last night and it was fully stocked

The oh doesn't know himself with all the food in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Doesn't anybody read this thread before they post the link that's being posted several times already!
    No,most of us have lifes to live.....well for the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Same could be said about the yanks.... with Mike Pence in charge expect a lot of prayer.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

the only positive i can take right now is that the inevitable comical mismanagement of this thing in the US will massively hurt Trump's election chances.

Back to the Trump derangement syndrome thread with yourself and Boggles!
    Sad that all you both can think of is the virus damaging Trump's chances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wakka12 wrote: »
    Havnt been to a supermarket in a few days but are they actually all cleared out? Thats unbelievable

I was in Supervalu this morning and it was packed with people, asked one of the lads stacking shelves was it usually this busy, he said 'yeah, friday, everyone doing their weekly shop'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

When the experts speak of a mild illness, their definition may be different to a patient’s. Mild, of course, means you don’t require hospital admission, but got anybody who has suffered an Influenza virus illness and weathered it out at home, it has taken a few weeks out of their lives, it has rendered them unfit for anything but bed for up to a week, it had probably caused a post-acute-phase depression, it has taken them out of work for at least two weeks or more if job involves caring for vulnerable people, being a pilot, and other jobs where concentration is critical.

Going on past experience of influenza and what I’m hearing, even a “mild” episode of Covid-19 will render you rather unwell, and unable to work or do many of your normal responsibilities for up to a month. Between falling ill, going through the phase of being rather unwell, self-isolation, and recovering strength, it will take a minimum of 3 and probably more weeks before re-participating in society. That’s a month out of life for up to half the population, if it does its worst on society, which is no joke. Quite apart from those who will not survive and those who survive with damage to vital organs.

What does this type of scaremongering achieve? because personally that's all it is. Other than follow the guidelines from the HSE and government there is nothing people can do.
    Also you are offering a definition of what you claim is medical terminology, can you back up your claim?

morebabies wrote: »
    Sorry, where was this?

On the RTÉ 1 TV news now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There's also a good chance that North Korea has been hit hard, supposedly there were a few parades cancelled a while back that may have been due to Moon boys reaction to an outbreak.

Cupatae wrote: »

Link? How do you mean treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I've had to sign legal document that I've not got virus or travelled to afflicted areas, for meeting in France next week. Warning on document that I could be prosecuted under French law for lying.

I think i would be seeking to postpone that meeting....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

tara73 wrote: »
    no, not at all. you are tested (for free, your mandatory health insurance is paying it) if you have symptoms of covid-19 and been in one of the regions of the biggest outbreaks like China, Italy etc.
    If you have no typical symptoms, havn't been in the regions but want to get tested, you would have to pay it for yourself.

but the hospitals in germany are so understaffed too, nobodies doing tests for people showing no typical symptoms, especially not now. maybe private laboratories. hmm, think I'm just on to some business idea here...wouldn't be wondering if there popping up private covid-19 testing laboratories everywhere soon..:o

Ah I realise that sorry I thought you meant people with symptoms where being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Link? How do you mean treated?

RTE news just this second, having seisures, 'supposotries administered to reduce the babys temperature'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Who cooks a Turkey at this time of year?

Someone who doesn't want to cook for the rest of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Paddigol wrote: »
    By what measurement is the world economy on the brink of collapsing?

demand is going to be way more than supply for all things!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement