Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

If the Irish aviation sector is just going to follow the lead of the HSE on this then we're probably ****ed

Who cooks a Turkey at this time of year?

<sigh>

Someone whose mother won 7 of them playing 25 before Christmas and there were 5 still in the freezer!

At least I’m using my noggin and not grabbing all the tins in tesco

What does this type of scaremongering achieve? because personally that's all it is. Other than follow the guidelines from the HSE and government there is nothing people can do.
    Also you are offering a definition of what you claim is medical terminology, can you back up your claim?

What exactly are you referring to by definition of medical definition?

The doctors, eg Tony Holohan, refer to mild cases as those not needing hospital admission. What I am saying is simply that when you are in the moment of feeling very sick with Influenza virus you do not perceive it to be mild even though you are not at all seriously ill. But I haven’t had Covid-19, maybe it really is a walk in the park and you can just go on your merry way to work, shops, etc.

I know how illness feels, having suffered extremely serious life-threatening bouts of illness myself on four to five occasions. I have also suffered benign episodes of influenza during pandemics including 1968 Hong Kong, and felt just as miserably unwell as when I got the serious stuff. Some are fortunate not to have experienced these things in life, or haven’t reached an age where they be one more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

What does this type of scaremongering achieve? because personally that's all it is. Other than follow the guidelines from the HSE and government there is nothing people can do.
    Also you are offering a definition of what you claim is medical terminology, can you back up your claim?
    I'm a Man flu survivor. 4 weeks out of work seems mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

In the past 24 hours, China reported 329 new cases - the lowest for a month.

Amidst all the end of the world panic , this piece of good news gets drowned out - its quite significant , but the internet and media like to fan mass panic/hysteria -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Who cooks a Turkey at this time of year?
    Didn't Jesus and the boys have it for the Last Supper?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does being floored by regular flu and then facing walking pneumonia count as mild?
    Cos I've had that... and it's not what most people would consider a mild illness. From an A&E perspective it is.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

morebabies wrote: »
    Sorry, where was this?

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

thebaz wrote: »
    Amidst all the end of the world panic , this piece of good news gets drowned out - its quite significant , but the internet and media like to fan mass panic/hysteria -

Yeh its good but pretty irrelevant to the rest of the world who will not implement measures like China did. The numbers only went down to thatbecause nobody in China went outside for two months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I tried to get some groceries in a Tesco this evening but was turned back. Panic buying does not describe the scene there.
    Hardly anything on the shelves. Security had been overcome a short while earlier apparently. People litterally climbing over each other to get the last of the pasta and rice. Loads of Gorzonzala still there but it was cordoned of with biohazard signs, as if people were going to go near it anyway. Saw two ladies playing tug of war over a tub of baby formula, it split open, scattering the contents all over the floor, and the two ladies just collapsed in each others arms sobbing. People were even buying kale. Or would have had there been any staff left at the checkouts. Someone screamed 'hand gel' and there was a stampede. I am sure children were being trampled, as the crowd rushed the length of an aisle. I left. I have never seen the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cupatae wrote: »
    People are dumb as f**k, panic is as dangerous.

Don't feed the bridge dweller

wakka12 wrote: »
    The numbers only went down to thatbecause nobody in China went outside for two months

In the effected epi-centre of virus - Wuhan - they did lockdown , the rest of China continued on , people need to be aware , but doomsday fear and panic will make situation worse - increase anxiety / depression etc.

Cupatae wrote: »
    People are dumb as f**k, panic is as dangerous.

You can't possibly believe that? Kale??

Look at the measures they took to achieve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I tried to get some groceries in a Tesco this evening but was turned back. Panic buying does not describe the scene there.
    Hardly anything on the shelves. Security had been overcome a short while earlier apparently. People litterally climbing over each other to get the last of the pasta and rice. Loads of Gorzonzala still there but it was cordoned of with biohazard signs, as if people were going to go near it anyway. Saw two ladies playing tug of war over a tub of baby formula, it split open, scattering the contents all over the floor, and the two ladies just collapsed in each others arms sobbing. People were even buying kale. Or would have had there been any staff left at the checkouts. Someone screamed 'hand gel' and there was a stampede. I am sure children were being trampled, as the crowd rushed the length of an aisle. I left. I have never seen the like.

Even by your standards this is extremely unsubtle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Peatys wrote: »
    You can't possibly believe that? Kale??

I know. I had to make my smoked salmon toast without avocado. Very disappointed

Even by your standards this is extremely unsubtle.

In fairness, he hooked one.

In the effected epi-centre of virus - Wuhan - they did lockdown , the rest of China continued on , people need to be aware , but doomsday fear and panic will make situation worse - increase anxiety / depression etc.

Well you could say that the WHO are fuelling that by giving their highest possible level of alert for this virus.

Look at the measures they took to achieve this.

yes , but amidst all the hysteria of the past week , it is good news , that has got drowned out by the Panic inducing headlines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What exactly are you referring to by definition of medical definition?

The doctors, eg Tony Holohan, refer to mild cases as those not needing hospital admission. What I am saying is simply that when you are in the moment of feeling very sick with Influenza virus you do not perceive it to be mild even though you are not at all seriously ill. But I haven’t had Covid-19, maybe it really is a walk in the park and you can just go on your merry way to work, shops, etc.

I know how illness feels, having suffered extremely serious life-threatening bouts of illness myself on four to five occasions. I have also suffered benign episodes of influenza during pandemics including 1968 Hong Kong, and felt just as miserably unwell as when I got the serious stuff. Some are fortunate not to have experienced these things in life, or haven’t reached an age where they be one more likely.
    You claimed doctors used the term 'mild' but then proceeded to give your own definition as to what 'mild' means. That is why I asked you to back up your claim.
    So you experienced life threatening illness and you feel it is your duty to inform others that is what awaits them from Covid 19 eventhough you say 'it maybe a walk in the park'
    Your post is the very essence of scaremongering based on your own 'personal' experience .
    Many how contract it won't even know they have it. I listened to an expert on the radio yesterday who stated 80% who contact it won't even know they have it. 14% will fall ill and 6% will suffer serious illness and a smaller percentage of the 6% it may prove terminal.
    One thing posts such as yours prove is just how dangerous the internet can be in terms of providing false and hysterical information.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh its good but pretty irrelevant to the rest of the world who will not implement measures like China did. The numbers only went down to thatbecause nobody in China went outside for two months

And did someone post earlier in the thread that they moved 40,000 medical staff into a province of 11 million.
    No other country could do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Peatys wrote: »
    In fairness, he hooked one.

he did... i didnt read it fully, and tried to delete it as quick as i could but alas...was too late..:mad: lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Since this is the end who would like to confess all their sins? Just give us your name, address and occupation, spill the beans and you'll go to heaven feeling a great weight has been lifted.

Who'd like to go first? :)

Many how contract it won't even know they have it. I listened to an expert on the radio yesterday who stated 80% who contact it won't even know they have it. 14% will fall ill and 6% will suffer serious illness and a smaller percentage of the 6% it may prove terminal.
    One thing posts such as yours prove is just how dangerous the internet can be in terms of providing false and hysterical information.

Your expert is talking nonsense if they are stating 80% of infected symptomatic patients won't even know they have it.
    You just proved your own point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hi T.R.O.L. I was wondering how long it would take for you to pen a piece of fantasy.
    Poor effort tbh, to be effective it has to me more subtle.
    However fair play for the attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

When will a pandemic be declared??? Me and my mates are going to throw a party, pandemonium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How does someone self isolate themselves if they have the Corona virus?

I don't have it but surely any more people in the house will catch it as well and self isolating won't do much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Why doesn’t boards do an ask me anything question thread on a person who recovered from corona virus. Might give some perspective good or bad.Just an idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And did someone post earlier in the thread that they moved 40,000 medical staff into a province of 11 million.
    No other country could do that.

They did

Very selfless of those people

BBC had an interview with one them in one night he lost 5 patients

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

yes , but amidst all the hysteria of the past week , it is good news , that has got drowned out by the Panic inducing headlines

Hysteria implies irrational concern. WHO are the ones who today raised the risk assessment of the disease to the highest possible level, its not the daily mail or the journal making it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement