Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Peatys wrote: »
    Mass on Sunday....

Please turn and offer eachother the nod off peace.

Think most churches been doing this for a couple of weeks now.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Gael23 wrote: »
    What if they were waked with an open coffin?

I would make sure they had a face mask on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

He could phone the ambulance service, appraising them of scenario, maybe he has done that. Once you are in hospital you might have easy access to internet with all the tests being done etc, iffy WiFi in an isolation department, and then being exhausted and just needing to sleep.

I'm sure if he's as sick as he says he is posting on Boards won't be high on his priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

China reacted in a sane manner and is reaping the benefits and stopped the spread.

Other countries including us just left everyone carry on running about freely exposing more and more people.

Everyone should have followed China's lead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Gael23 wrote: »
    What if they were waked with an open coffin?

That won’t be happening with Corona imho, would just be to dangerous. I think funerals in general would change too, no hugging etc. I hope there is protocols for undertakers based on anything learned from China.

I really think it’s a fundamental mind switch that’s going to be needed in terms of hygiene and contact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Think most churches been doing this for a couple of weeks now.

Seriously? If they were that concerned, they should cancel mass... though that'd be a bit harder to get their grubby paws on nana's pension

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

WRT self isolation in shared houses I'm hoping when it reaches Galway my diabetic housemate might scarper home and just let the rest of us infect each other without guilt.

This 'self isolation' thing just isn't going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Seems to be less than 50 cases has caused France and Germany to signal they're beyond containment. I take it they plan to go the South Korea route.

Its funny how weeks ago the world said China wasnt doing enough to contain the virus and once it spread beyond China the rest of the world collectively has done SFA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

pc7 wrote: »
    That won’t be happening with Corona imho, would just be to dangerous. I think funerals in general would change too, no hugging etc. I hope there is protocols for undertakers based on anything learned from China.

I really think it’s a fundamental mind switch that’s going to be needed in terms of hygiene and contact.

In China it's straight to the crematorium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm sure if he's as sick as he says he is posting on Boards won't be high on his priority list.

Should we ban him, in case it's contagious. I'm sure he thanked one of my posts.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its funny how weeks ago the world said China wasnt doing enough to contain the virus and once it spread beyond China the rest of the world collectively has done SFA

Same eejits lecturing us about cancelling a rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Should we ban him, in case it's contagious. I'm sure he thanked one of my posts.

:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In China it's straight to the crematorium.

Which would require a huge mind shift here. We actually do grief and funerals really well I feel, lots of laughter as well as tears usually at a wake etc, (depending on circumstances of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭solidasarock

dan786 wrote: »

This is awkward.

I just beat up a old lady for the last hand sanitizer in tesco so I could wash after shaking hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Self isolation seems to assume you are living on your own OR if sharing can switch to own bedroom with en suite to yourself and someone to bring your food.
    Does not seem all that practical for most people in shared accomodation if in apartment or terraced house.

Yes, the WHO report said that most transmission outside of Hubei province was happening within families, so we'll need good science-informed advice from govt on how to prevent infection in the home from patients who do not require hospitalisation or cannot be accommodated.

Anyone looking for a bit of good news can at least find it in the ongoing efforts to test existing approved drugs to see what might help treat or even prevent infection, and there are some promising candidates, with drug trials in China due to start reporting as early as April-May.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00003-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

By tomorrow we could have more closed cases then open cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

citysights wrote: »
    Read that the test for the virus can cost three thousand dollars ( saw it on Twitter)fake news I’d say. But you are right people without medical insurance in trouble. Anyone know how much the test for the virus costs in US just out of interest?
    Patients in the US are billed for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if it is costing them thousands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is a little like us in Eurovsion now we're come last!

fritzelly wrote: »
    More fake news - they cost about 5 euro, depending on supplier
    A swab may cost 5 euro. DNA analysis is very expensive

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is that the GP?

Believe so

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dan786 wrote: »

Did they think 80,000 people had sex with bats up to this point? :confused:

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Testing is provided by the CDC, not private medical facilities, theres no way they charge for it
    Testing is now being performed in 6 public health labs in the US and will probably be extended to more if there's increased demand.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/2/24/21147157/coronavirus-lab-surveillance-flu-cdc-virus-tracking-testing

If I become affected by what is diagnosed by a medic as a probable Covid-19 infection, I will not be hiding where I’ve been etc in a bid for privacy. I intend to be open as possible to play my part in lowering the rate of spread. And if I have traveled in the rear section on the 10:20 LUAS into town, and eg. Simon Harris comes on saying he “can’t reveal what public transport that patient was on” I will not be short of phoning in the radio show and declaring it. That’s if I were a mild enough case to be able to do so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In London working and can't get over the situation caused by the panic and media hysteria. Absolutely everywhere is out of hand gel. Literally can't get it anywhere. Just watched the local news and some stupid bint was on showing all her stockpiled supplies. She admitted she wasn't in an at-risk group but still thought it was ethical to go and buy the entire section of hand gels and other products, leaving everyone else to go without.

Seems like Britain is full of me feiners who are out for themselves 100% and can't comprehend the concept of not taking more than their fair share. I just wanted to buy one hand gel today so I could clean my hands after using the airport trays and so on - couldn't get that cos of the selfish f*ckers buying 20+ at a time. So now the people who actually ARE at risk and the people who actually DO have symptoms are unable to buy things which would help to reduce the spread.

Yeah, nice one.

Soap works just as well as hand gel. That was one of the questions asked on RTE's podcast:
    Question: A lot of people are asking about hand sanitisers which you can frequently buy in chemists and supermarkets but good luck trying to find them at the moment. Do you need to have an alcohol-based wash to thoroughly wash your hands at the moment?

Sarah Doyle: No, you can just use water and soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

20th case in UK and was passed on in UK, not when abroad. Don't panic

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

By tomorrow we could have more closed cases then open cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

a positive for sure ... how long did it take for China to peak? Outside China we have c. 1k new cases today (seems a pretty significant no) Just under 6k in total now outside China .... do we expect a China like projectory spread globally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Soap works just as well as hand gel. That was one of the questions asked on RTE's podcast:

Exactly. Some studies showed that plain white soap worked better than hand gel. Make sure you wash for at least the length of time it takes to sing twinkle twinkle little star and you'll be grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement