Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

In London working and can't get over the situation caused by the panic and media hysteria. Absolutely everywhere is out of hand gel. Literally can't get it anywhere. Just watched the local news and some stupid bint was on showing all her stockpiled supplies. She admitted she wasn't in an at-risk group but still thought it was ethical to go and buy the entire section of hand gels and other products, leaving everyone else to go without.

Seems like Britain is full of me feiners who are out for themselves 100% and can't comprehend the concept of not taking more than their fair share. I just wanted to buy one hand gel today so I could clean my hands after using the airport trays and so on - couldn't get that cos of the selfish f*ckers buying 20+ at a time. So now the people who actually ARE at risk and the people who actually DO have symptoms are unable to buy things which would help to reduce the spread.

Yeah, nice one.

Yep some people seem to think Ireland is the most selfish place on earth. Can confirm UK, especially south of England, is off the scale. It's a very American import.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I tried to get some groceries in a Tesco this evening but was turned back. Panic buying does not describe the scene there.
    Hardly anything on the shelves. Security had been overcome a short while earlier apparently. People litterally climbing over each other to get the last of the pasta and rice. Loads of Gorzonzala still there but it was cordoned of with biohazard signs, as if people were going to go near it anyway. Saw two ladies playing tug of war over a tub of baby formula, it split open, scattering the contents all over the floor, and the two ladies just collapsed in each others arms sobbing. People were even buying kale. Or would have had there been any staff left at the checkouts. Someone screamed 'hand gel' and there was a stampede. I am sure children were being trampled, as the crowd rushed the length of an aisle. I left. I have never seen the like.

Not funny. Sick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Graces7 wrote: »
    Invented rubbish....

I did laugh at the kale reference, that was funny....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

fr336 wrote: »
    20th case in UK and was passed on in UK, not when abroad. Don't panic

Hardly surprising. Living in London at the moment and personal hygiene isn't the top priority of most people on the underground. Some openly coughing/sneezing into their hands then touching the rails/seats etc.

I believe the person has been moved to Guys and Thomas' NHS Centre in London. Not sure if they are from London themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Exactly. Some studies showed that plain white soap worked better than hand gel. Make sure you wash for at least the length of time it takes to sing twinkle twinkle little star and you'll be grand.

All 12 variations ? Thats well over 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its funny how weeks ago the world said China wasnt doing enough to contain the virus and once it spread beyond China the rest of the world collectively has done SFA

Not true. They've protected 'the economy' for the wealthy for as long as they could..

On a semi positive angle, is it now surprising there haven't been more cases in Ireland, UK, Europe considering incubation period? The new cases popping up especially in UK seem to be recent exports from Italy. We were all worried about it being here for weeks but not sure this is the case it will maybe be more of a drip drip scenario, with containment happening fast hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Invented rubbish....

I agree,
    That's the kind of carry on you only see in the the likes of Penny's and such :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

laurah591 wrote: »
    a positive for sure ... how long did it take for China to peak? Outside China we have c. 1k new cases today (seems a pretty significant no) Just under 6k in total now outside China .... do we expect a China like projectory spread globally

Would China's population density be a factor in the spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

On a semi positive angle, is it now surprising there haven't been more cases in Ireland, UK, Europe considering incubation period? The new cases popping up especially in UK seem to be recent exports from Italy. We were all worried about it being here for weeks but not sure this is the case it will maybe be more of a drip drip scenario, with containment happening fast hopefully.

Give it 2 weeks and we could be in the same boat as Italy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

This is awkward.

I just beat up a old lady for the last hand sanitizer in tesco so I could wash after shaking hands.

I beat up a homeless alcoholic who was drinking the hand sanitizer out of the public toilet and went to mass to shake everyone's hand

This must be a horrible time for anybody affected by bona fide OCD, as not alone are many of them plagued by irrational rituals of multiple cleaning for fear if infectious calamity if they don’t, they now have a degree of validation for cleansing rituals, which will be a huge hindrance in achieving recovery, which most aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It would only take a couple of committed terrorists to infect themselves and consciously spread the the virus around the UK to potentially kill more people than all terrorist attacks in the UK this century.

Certainly more effective than stabbings or driving cars at people.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It would only take a couple of committed terrorists to infect themselves and consciously spread the the virus around the UK to potentially kill more people than all terrorist attacks in the UK this century.

Yeah, just copy Mr shake hands from trigger happy TV and wipe out Bristol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Give it 2 weeks and we could be in the same boat as Italy

Give it 2 weeks and numbers may no longer be reported. Initial shock can only last so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any update from Runaways....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Don't give them ideas.

This must be a horrible time for anybody affected by bona fide OCD, as not alone are many of them plagued by irrational rituals of multiple cleaning for fear if infectious calamity if they don’t, they now have a degree of validation for cleansing rituals, which will be a huge hindrance in achieving recovery, which most aspire to.

I'm a sufferer myself but ironically it's had the opposite effect generally - instead of worrying about everything and anything, I'm worried about something rational and therefore while I may be washing my hands more, that's the advice! I'm no longer checking if I've locked the door 10 times, checking plugs etc. I appreciate this is probably not everyone's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Was just thinking earlier that some nut jobcould be intentionally spreading it. The typical psychos who do the mass shootings etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

@SafeSurfer woah how did your mind go there! I thought I was bad, Jesus don’t give them ideas.

• Advertisement

Any update from Runaways....

Locked in the jacks but ran out of big roll the poor sod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Yep, this is me. I've been having therapy to try to get over avoiding handshakes, touching door handles, etc. and now I'm being told I should be doing all these things. Mental health is in tatters right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Almost prophetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

pc7 wrote: »
    @SafeSurfer woah how did your mind go there! I thought I was bad, Jesus don’t give them ideas.

There is a thread doing the rounds on twitter that the South Korean cult ARE spreading it on purpose as part of a religious belief?
    This is the twitterverse of course, doesn't make it true.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising. Living in London at the moment and personal hygiene isn't the top priority of most people on the underground. Some openly coughing/sneezing into their hands then touching the rails/seats etc.

I believe the person has been moved to Guys and Thomas' NHS Centre in London. Not sure if they are from London themselves.
    Those hand rails on the underground are like superhighways for this thing to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

pc7 wrote: »

Unfortunately I would be surprised if some groups are not contemplating just such an “attack”. Even the extreme, fringe eco terrorists who support the Kaczynski doctrine welcome pandemics as a means of reducing human impact.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    There is a thread doing the rounds on twitter that the South Korean cult ARE spreading it on purpose as part of a religious belief?
    This is the twitterverse of course, doesn't make it true.

Given every case I hear of from SK is around the cult it sounds plausible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I tried to get some groceries in a Tesco this evening but was turned back. Panic buying does not describe the scene there.
    Hardly anything on the shelves. Security had been overcome a short while earlier apparently. People litterally climbing over each other to get the last of the pasta and rice. Loads of Gorzonzala still there but it was cordoned of with biohazard signs, as if people were going to go near it anyway. Saw two ladies playing tug of war over a tub of baby formula, it split open, scattering the contents all over the floor, and the two ladies just collapsed in each others arms sobbing. People were even buying kale. Or would have had there been any staff left at the checkouts. Someone screamed 'hand gel' and there was a stampede. I am sure children were being trampled, as the crowd rushed the length of an aisle. I left. I have never seen the like.

I find this highly offensive......as a lover of Gorgonzola

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Singapore seems to managing their outbreak so far. No deaths and 69 out of 98 cases have been discharged.
    Authoritarian high tech city state. Easy to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

I'm a sufferer myself but ironically it's had the opposite effect generally - instead of worrying about everything and anything, I'm worried about something rational and therefore while I may be washing my hands more, that's the advice! I'm no longer checking if I've locked the door 10 times, checking plugs etc. I appreciate this is probably not everyone's experience.

I felt some one with OCD would be the best prepared for this more than anyone else in my estimation. Plenty of practice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement