Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Seems to be less than 50 cases has caused France and Germany to signal they're beyond containment. I take it they plan to go the South Korea route.

this is it. sorry if I go on about Germany, but that's where I am and then we are all in the same boat anyway, no matter what country at this stage.
    So the german health minister yesterday also said on tv Germany will not lockdown any regions or cities like Italy or China:eek: I am shocked. Not that I'm looking forward to being locked up but what is the alternative? Let it spread however it will?

He argued: it doesn't make sense to do it, it would not work anyway, how would you lock down the Nordrheinwestfalen area which is so densely populated?
    Are they nuts? Didn't they saw what China did? They locked down kind of their whole country, the second largest economy in the world with 1.4 billion people!! But this f***ers here still can't let go thinking the economy is the priority. They can't think slightly ahead or really don't want to realise that letting everything go on and people floating around freely on planes , boats, trains, cars from one country to another is insane and is just delaying destroying their economy likewise, just with much more devastation. At least that's what I think.

Maybe they revise their strategie of letting everything flow, things move so quickly. But it might be too late when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Panrich

This must be a horrible time for anybody affected by bona fide OCD, as not alone are many of them plagued by irrational rituals of multiple cleaning for fear if infectious calamity if they don’t, they now have a degree of validation for cleansing rituals, which will be a huge hindrance in achieving recovery, which most aspire to.

And as my wife who has OCD pointed out, there is the fact that every place is now sold out of cleaning products which is even worse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    There is a thread doing the rounds on twitter that the South Korean cult ARE spreading it on purpose as part of a religious belief?
    This is the twitterverse of course, doesn't make it true.

Bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Question

Is there a specific UV light that kills this or is it any black light?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

pc7 wrote: »
    Bloody hell

This might actually be true unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ardinn wrote: »
    Question

Pub smoking section heat lamp should do it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I tried to get some groceries in a Tesco this evening but was turned back. Panic buying does not describe the scene there.
    Hardly anything on the shelves. Security had been overcome a short while earlier apparently. People litterally climbing over each other to get the last of the pasta and rice. Loads of Gorzonzala still there but it was cordoned of with biohazard signs, as if people were going to go near it anyway. Saw two ladies playing tug of war over a tub of baby formula, it split open, scattering the contents all over the floor, and the two ladies just collapsed in each others arms sobbing. People were even buying kale. Or would have had there been any staff left at the checkouts. Someone screamed 'hand gel' and there was a stampede. I am sure children were being trampled, as the crowd rushed the length of an aisle. I left. I have never seen the like.
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Where should you sit on a plane to avoid infection?
    The wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fr336 wrote: »
    On a semi positive angle, is it now surprising there haven't been more cases in Ireland, UK, Europe considering incubation period? The new cases popping up especially in UK seem to be recent exports from Italy. We were all worried about it being here for weeks but not sure this is the case it will maybe be more of a drip drip scenario, with containment happening fast hopefully.

No not particularly. Outside any individual incubation period - from patient zero to start of epidemic in Wuhan was 6 - 8 weeks.

In Europe we are just at the start of that point now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

My money is on governments no longer reporting numbers in the near future. They will treat people who need to be treated and say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

wakka12 wrote: »

Ok we are screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Nope

Hong Kong scientists aren’t sure if the dog is actually infected or if it picked up the virus from a contaminated surface

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The relevant bit and not the sensational headline
    Hong Kong scientists aren’t sure if the dog is actually infected or if it picked up the virus from a contaminated surface

Dogs doing what dogs do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Question

My uncle swears by this theory.

broad-spectrum germicidal UV light, which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together.

(Is what he says....I know very little about the science of it....but he’s a very smart chap).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My money is on governments no longer reporting numbers in the near future. They will treat people who need to be treated and say no more.

The UK said it would stop counting at 100 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

zoo s ,petting farms etc will be closed soon so .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Question

Pub smoking section heat lamp should do it

Not sure if serious but I mean for inside. UV light kills this, I am just not aware if there are different grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Stewball

Did I hear this right today that people who sat close to the confirmed case in Ireland on the plane and have been told to self isolate?

Surely this is an under reaction - should those people not be tested and then cleared instead?
    What's stopping one of them heading to their local tonight for a few beers??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

fritzelly wrote: »
    The relevant bit and not the sensational headline

Dogs doing what dogs do...

Why is hong kong being sensationalist I wondrer? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Le Bruise wrote: »
    My uncle swears by this theory.

broad-spectrum germicidal UV light, which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together.

(Is what he says....I know very little about the science of it....but he’s a very smart chap).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_germicidal_irradiation

Stewball wrote: »
    Did I hear this right today that people who sat close to the confirmed case in Ireland on the plane and have been told to self isolate?

Surely this is an under reaction - should those people not be tested and then cleared instead?
    What's stopping one of them heading to their local tonight for a few beers??

I’m guessing that a test wouldn’t show up this quickly.

There’s no reports on how long she was in Italy for is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Here in Norway they expect one quarter of the population to contract the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not sure if serious but I mean for inside. UV light kills this, I am just not aware if there are different grades.

UV light is harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was talking to two Polish cleaners at University of Limerick about the coronavirus. Asked have they to change their routine any bit. They said same as always.

The younger girl said that the virus is now in County Clare and that nobody is entering the county. I think somebody is pulling her leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Here in Norway they expect one quarter of the population to contract the virus.

The Nordic model we aspire to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

tara73 wrote:
    He argued: it doesn't make sense to do it, it would not work anyway, how would you lock down the Nordrheinwestfalen area which is so densely populated? Are they nuts? Didn't they saw what China did? They locked down kind of their whole country, the second largest economy in the world with 1.4 billion people!! But this f***ers here still can't let go thinking the economy is the priority. They can't think slightly ahead or really don't want to realise that letting everything go on and people floating around freely on planes , boats, trains, cars from one country to another is insane and is just delaying destroying their economy likewise, just with much more devastation. At least that's what I think.
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment about European response (so far)...

China locked down one city, not the whole country. They knew where it originated and could lock it down. Situation in Europe is different - hard to track several small epicentre a due to global air travel..

Also, China may be lying and the numbers aren't dropping in reality. As far as I know all factories in China are back to full speed, the Commies were really eager to reopen them. Oh they do care about economy more than you think.

This glorification of China makes me uneasy. Money rules - everywhere. If you think Chinese gov don't care about money you're insane. They're the 2nd largest economy in the world.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was talking to two Polish cleaners at University of Limerick about the coronavirus. Asked have they to change their routine any bit. They said same as always.

The younger girl said that the virus is now in County Clare and that nobody is entering the county. I think somebody is pulling her leg.

Weird how people just hear bs like this and just believe it
    Dont think a county being 'closed' can remain a well kept secret for very long

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement