Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

McGiver wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment about European response (so far)...

China locked down one city, not the whole country. They knew where it originated and could lock it down. Situation in Europe is different - hard to track several small epicentre a due to global air travel..

Also, China may be lying and the numbers aren't dropping in reality. As far as I know all factories in China are back to full speed, the Commies were really eager to reopen them. Oh they do care about economy more than you think.

This glorification of China makes me uneasy. Money rules - everywhere. If you think Chinese gov don't care about money you're insane. They're the 2nd largest economy in the world.
    China locked down dozens of cities not just Wuhan, many of which are bigger than most cities in Europe

I think you are underestimating how big the 'epicentre' is, Hubei is the same population as Italy and probably signifcantly larger geographically

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am getting the feeling that life should, and will go on. Taking the advised precautions into account of course..

Really think about the total crush on PT every day and so on.

Just have to keep washing hands more than we are used to doing (apart from toilet visits).

Have to put it in perspective I suppose.

But if there is a mad outbreak here soon, well scratch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Re dogs. If they can get infected and then infect people.

It will mutate in the cats and dogs. Flip the coin if it mutates for better or for worse. We don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Le Bruise wrote: »
    My uncle swears by this theory.

broad-spectrum germicidal UV light, which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together.

(Is what he says....I know very little about the science of it....but he’s a very smart chap).

There's plenty of proven working UV treatment machinery, operating at a specific frequency region that has this effect.

Blacklight torches though are usually at a different frequency, with glass filters to avoid possible bacteria-killing shorter wavelength being emitted. They just make the bacteria glow / flouresce.

Le Bruise wrote:
    broad-spectrum germicidal UV light, which has wavelengths between 200 and 400 nanometers (nm), is highly effective at killing bacteria and viruses by destroying the molecular bonds that hold their DNA together.
    Sure. And melanoma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

wakka12 wrote: »
    Weird how people just hear bs like this and just believe it
    Dont think a county being 'closed' can remain a well kept secret for very long

Only if it's Leitrim.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

wakka12 wrote:
    China locked down dozens of cities not just Wuhan, many of which are bigger than most cities in Europe
    Evidence please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ardinn wrote: »
    Not sure if serious but I mean for inside. UV light kills this, I am just not aware if there are different grades.

UV light is used in some waste water treatment facilities. I think part of the tertiary treatment.

There be different levels of ionization energy. Also the radiation can be at a varied wavelength.

YFlyer wrote:
    The younger girl said that the virus is now in County Clare and that nobody is entering the county. I think somebody is pulling her leg.
    Someone offered her their most sincere contrafibularities :D

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Only if it's Leitrim.

Sssshhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Pub smoking section heat lamp should do it

I'll be in the pub with a few pints so

• Registered Users Posts: 30,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Evidence please.

Article from 2 weeks ago on CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/16/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-death-toll-update-intl-hnk/index.html

Nearly half of China's population -- more than 780 million people -- are currently living under various forms of travel restrictions as authorities race to contain the spread of a deadly virus.
    The novel coronavirus outbreak has killed 1,770 people and infected another 70,000 in mainland China. According to a CNN analysis, travel limitations of varying degrees are still being enforced in provinces and cities across the country, including Hubei, Liaoning, Beijing and Shanghai.
    Restrictions include everything from self-quarantines to limits on who can come and go from neighborhoods.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Re dogs. If they can get infected and then infect people.

It will mutate in the cats and dogs. Flip the coin if it mutates for better or for worse. We don't know.

Only if you shag dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

There's 45 cases in Kuwait, and 38 in Bahrain.

So maybe UV light won't be the solution to the pandemic, fellas.
    The Chinese might have tried it. There is after all a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We had an update on the Covid-19 virus in work today. (Travel Industry) One of the points made was that mass gatherings should be avoided if at all possible.

The meeting of approximately 80 staff members was held in our communal area.

Attendance was mandatory.

It was worth going for the irony alone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Whilst I agree with your sentiment about European response (so far)...

China locked down one city, not the whole country. They knew where it originated and could lock it down. Situation in Europe is different - hard to track several small epicentre a due to global air travel..

Also, China may be lying and the numbers aren't dropping in reality. As far as I know all factories in China are back to full speed, the Commies were really eager to reopen them. Oh they do care about economy more than you think.

This glorification of China makes me uneasy. Money rules - everywhere. If you think Chinese gov don't care about money you're insane. They're the 2nd largest economy in the world.

Where did you read that chinese only locked down one city? All of Hubei province is still locked down unless I missed it being lifted. I remember it going from 10 million to 50 million to 100 to 200 + million people in lock down areas when it was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

wakka12 wrote: »
    First case in Iceland
    https://grapevine.is/news/2020/02/28/breaking-first-confirmed-case-of-coronavirus-in-iceland/

Seems like Rep Ireland might be one of the last in Europe to announce a case. Just a couple of other countries have not so far, Scotland ,Portugal, Poland , Hungary, Czech Republic

Sure when you have people reporting illnesses to the HSE and getting no response is it any wonder.

INMO reported we have 420 patients without a hospital bed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Paying for stuff in Penney's, the idle checkout people chatting about no stick coming in and something about having no stick for Christmas. Heard one also say they'll be out of a job by Christmas. Not sure if just a joke or if it's a genuine concern from the employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Le Bruise wrote: »
    My uncle swears by this theory.

(Is what he says....I know very little about the science of it....but he’s a very smart chap).

It may be of some use, i.e. better than nothing (another item in the toolset). Even just 5 secs of directed light may damage the dna/rna of a surface virus.

Of course a quick 5secs won't pose any real danger when used as an uvc-wand unless you're extremely ginger/albino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Yessssssssssssssss!!!! I made it to the end of the thread. Nobody else post anything. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

odyssey06 wrote:
    Nearly half of China's population -- more than 780 million people -- are currently living under various forms of travel restrictions as authorities race to contain the spread of a deadly virus. The novel coronavirus outbreak has killed 1,770 people and infected another 70,000 in mainland China. According to a CNN analysis, travel limitations of varying degrees are still being enforced in provinces and cities across the country, including Hubei, Liaoning, Beijing and Shanghai. Restrictions include everything from self-quarantines to limits on who can come and go from neighborhoods.
    But not every city or province is facing Wuhan-like restrictions. Citizens cannot leave the cities of Wuhan, Huanggang, Ezhou and a few others in Hubei province, while Shanghai and Beijing have only put movement restrictions in place for some smaller communities such as building blocks or neighbourhoods.

All in Hubei, the centre... By lock-down we mean the Wuhan situation i.e. quarantine of the whole city not some travel/public transport restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ardinn wrote: »
    Not sure if serious but I mean for inside. UV light kills this, I am just not aware if there are different grades.

It Suppose it depends on whether you’d prefer to get Covid 19 or be riddled with cancer and blinded from surrounding yourself with UVC radiation all the time

ffs!!!

I know right?

Cancer isn't a virus you muppet

ffs!!!

Sorry George.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

3 infected in population of 6+ million and they do this

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233489724704272385

gabeeg wrote: »
    I know right?

Cancer isn't a virus you muppet

How the **** could you not read what I wrote correctly?

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    It Suppose it depends on whether you’d prefer to get Covid 19 or be riddled with cancer and blinded from surrounding yourself with UVC radiation all the time

It's an important milestone to becoming a man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement