Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ZX7R wrote: »
    Looking at the figures on worldometer china only reporting 8 new cases and 0
    deaths for today.
    must be big delays in the reporting of there figures today

Figures not released yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Which is
    Telling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

tuxy wrote: »
    Why would they lie to make it look like they have a much higher fitality rate?

Many of these statistics coming out of less reliable countries may be their inability to test and track rather than dileberate lies.
    So they're just unlucky in that 10% of the folk they happened to detect with the virus end up dead? And so many folk who transitted through Iran and brought the virus to Canada, Saudi Arabia, Iraq etc happened to bump into these few folk also? Fair enough, though least everything will be back to normal tomorrow so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Telling it as it is.

Which is

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Laughed my head off when he took a drink from his kids bottle

Had to be a piss take right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Why? They are both lunatics :confused:

do the maths...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Ikozma wrote: »
    I know a few people who are stockpiling food, absolute nutters in this country, they are gonna feel like such idiots in a few mths time

If they have a freezer that will last them a long time. No need to go shopping for ages too, win win regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That interview was frankly ridiculous. 6 Trillion wiped off the markets, the virus spreading to more countries every day including now Mexico City and Lagos, governments around the world warning people to prepare for the worst and yet the good old back slapping Irish establishment rounding the wagons and sending out one of their puppets on RTE for some good old PR.

That interview reminded me of the day before the bank bailout when the government goons stood on the steps of Leinster House and told us everything was alright. The Irish never change

Wasn't his very point that the media and market reaction is hysterical and over the top? He is a professor of biochemistry and has more knowledge of the subject than the vast majority of armchair pundits and cranks with zero knowledge ranting about the virus.

• Advertisement

Which is
    Do I have to paint a picture?

Tell us the real situation that we should be stocking up on the essentials, that mass gatherings like the St Patricks Day Festival and sporting fixtures should be called off and yeah how about saying that the hospitals can't cope if this hits big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Washing hands is the key to not spreading it. Spreading it being the key here.

Was hand, self isolate if unwell. Sneeze in your sleeve or hanky. Wash your hands. Dont spread it.
    I think everyone knows it's coming. How about we just not spread it more than it needs to be

Yes, yes, yes.

Aside from the self isolation - all this is common hygiene practices that shows respect towards other people. People should be doing this anyways even for the common cold.

Problem is there are people who don't care about themselves or others coughing and sneezing carelessly, and not washing hands properly if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

bb12 wrote: »
    so, was doing my weekly shop in lidl and aldi tonight. lidl had no long grain white rice, porridge oats or real butter left. also low on minced beef and tinned dog and cat food.
    aldi was almost stripped of all fresh bread, no porridge oats, low on corn flakes, no minced beef and had had a run on bleach and cleaning products. also low on packs of tinned dog and cat food.
    no hand gels to be found anywhere.

dunno why people are panicking about stocking up on beef products. that's one item that ireland will definitely not run out of!

This scenario is quite normal in my local lidl most week nights, i trust it will be nicely stocked again come morning!!

The other half keeps the freezers constantly full - been telling her for ever if there is ever a zombie apocalypse we'll be sorted. Who'da thought...

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the stock market fall today? Like 5% in Italy and 3% in most other developed markets, this could get messy

5 days ago now. Yes it sure is getting messy.

Night ladies and gentlemen, same time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Israeli passenger of the Diamond Princess cruise ship who was presumed to have recovered and released from quarantine has tested positive after returning home - Ynet/JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

kenmc wrote: »
    So they're just unlucky in that 10% of the folk they happened to detect with the virus end up dead? And so many folk who transitted through Iran and brought the virus to Canada, Saudi Arabia, Iraq etc happened to bump into these few folk also? Fair enough, though least everything will be back to normal tomorrow so.

No luck involved, someone with serious symptoms and people who are dead are more obvious than people with less symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Titclamp wrote: »
    No one believes that ****.

Except for a significant number of people who post on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

CDC has warned against all non essential travel to Italy due to widespread community transmission
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

That interview was frankly ridiculous. 6 Trillion wiped off the markets, the virus spreading to more countries every day including now Mexico City and Lagos, governments around the world warning people to prepare for the worst and yet the good old back slapping Irish establishment rounding the wagons and sending out one of their puppets on RTE for some good old PR.

That interview reminded me of the day before the bank bailout when the government goons stood on the steps of Leinster House and told us everything was alright. The Irish never change

well if keeps some old wans from panicking even for a few days at least i have no problem with it. what do you want exactly, for him to say "there's a good chance 10s of millions will die and there's nothing we can do about it" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Corona virus is the new Brexit

froog wrote: »
    well if keeps some old wans from panicking even for a few days at least i have no problem with it. what do you want exactly, for him to say "there's a good chance 10s of millions will die and there's nothing we can do about it" ?

Are these the same ones listening to LL on Monday ;)

Israeli passenger of the Diamond Princess cruise ship who was presumed to have recovered and released from quarantine has tested positive after returning home - Ynet/JP

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1582902733-third-israeli-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-israel-after-recovering-at-japan-hospital
    Seven Israelis have been diagnosed with the coronavirus, the health ministry confirmed on Friday.

One of those infected is a man who was on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship off Japan's coast was first hospitalized in Japan after falling ill to the coronavirus, and there he remained in quarantine.

After being discharged from the hospital, he flew home to Israel where he again tested positive for coronavirus. The passenger flew to Israel on two commercial flights, both with Turkish Airlines: flight TK53 from Tokyo via Istanbul, and flight TK784 from Istanbul to Tel Aviv, which landed in Israel at 08:55, according to Jpost.

So eh if you never truly get rid of this virus then mankind just made a huge mistake not locking down borders for a few weeks or even months after Wuhan was isolated. We may have just dropped our life expectancy quite a bit in combination with increasing the number of infertile men all while damaging our lung capacity, & kidneys. (round glass pneumonic changes - https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-update-boy-with-no-symptoms-suffers-lung-irregularities-c-669975 , "SCIENTISTS RAISE CONCERNS OVER POTENTIAL LINK BETWEEN CORONAVIRUS AND MALE FERTILITY" - https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-scientists-coronavirus-male-fertility-1488235 , acute kidney injury - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/ , cardiac injury and arrest, lung scarring - this can reduce your lung capacity permanently - https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/28/coronavirus-lungs-affects-body-12136009/ )

Even Kids without symptoms or with barely any symptoms are still getting damage to their lungs. All of this has already been posted on the thread with links.
    A few months lockdown and the economic damage would have been worth avoiding a potential world changer.
    If only a few people relapse and maintain the virus in their bodies then, if this is ever eradicated, those people need to be shipping off to modern day leper colonies.

Of course if you dont mind having no retirement none of this matters.

ps the advice now from the HSE about self isolation if you get flu symptoms means you should have a couple of weeks worth of food to hand pretty much all the time.

Is Japan lying about the negative testing - like hell we aint looking after ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

yeah I'm drunk...its basically the only way i can read this thread from now on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/1582902733-third-israeli-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-in-israel-after-recovering-at-japan-hospital

So eh if you never truly get rid of this virus then mankind just made a huge mistake not locking down borders for a few weeks or even months after Wuhan was isolated. We may have just dropped our life expectancy quite a bit in combination with increasing the number of infertile men all while damaging our lung capacity, & kidneys.

All those things are affected when you get this. Kids without symptoms or with barely any symptoms are still getting damage to their lungs. All of this has already been posted on the thread with links.

A few months lockdown and the economic damage would have been worth avoiding this potential world changer.

If only a few people relapse and maintain the virus in their bodies then if this is ever eradicated then those people need to be shipping off to modern day leper colonies.

Of course if you dont mind having no retirement none of this matters.

ps the advice now from the HSE about self isolation if you get flu symptoms means you should have a couple of weeks worth of food to hand pretty much all the time.
    I'm blue in the face from saying this to people who have been telling me since January that I'm obsessed with preparedness. I've always stockpiled food and supplies because I just like knowing I would be ready if anything kicked off. I replenished and actually overstocked our cupboards the last three weeks and I'm actually quite surprised other people may have started to do it as well. I really just feel that it's a sensible way to live where you can feel like you're secure.

You're absolutely right about the life expectancy issue. If this, combined with poor quality air, is what my kids lungs are going to have to contend with before they splutter their dying breaths, I'm just not going to bother sadistically bringing life into the world to put them through that suffering. There's absolute global carnage at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement