Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

pc7 wrote: »
    Just found this, I don't have sound but hopefully it is saying all good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyX-YJPPgw

He sounds in great form. Sally is over her pneumonia. David nearly there and they were tested for virus today and will have results tomorrow. They are hopeful they will be virus free.

I love a good news day x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Austria and Croatia now have confirmed cases. We're sleep walking into this.
    We're not really, I dont think anyone is under any illusions that it wont come here. I am not sure pulling the plug on daily business will be of much benefit, in fact, you could argue it may kill more people than it will save. (supplies issues etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The only good thing about wearing a facemask is that it may stop people from touching there face and thus reducing the transfer of a virus from hands to eyes/nose/mouth...

Seemingly it does the exact opposite, people are constantly adjusting the mask on their face and therefore touching their face more often than if they weren't wearing one.

But it does reduce the chances of spreading the virus if the wearer is already infected by catching the coughs and splutters of the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Every time I glimpse this thread title in the list the 3 exclamation marks make me feel a little panicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

just trying to open some minds i guess.

the posters in CT forum already look beyond what we're told to swallow, so i cant get my point across to those who need to hear it, over there.

here is where people are panicked, and some may realise they dont need to be as scared of something so made-up.

So who are you blaming for this hoax?
    The jews?
    The Ra?
    The brits?
    George Soros?
    Trump?

Give me a bit more insight into what you're thinkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Shuhada Davitt - don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I was reading earlier that Chinese scientists claim they have a vaccine to start trials with, but can't find it now ...

There are lots of fast-tracked drug trials ongoing in China. Two of the more promising drugs are a new one designed against ebola virus (remdesivir) and potentially the old anti-malarial drug chloroquine.

I don't know about a Chinese vaccine, but there are lots of labs trying to produce one. One US lab was reported yesterday as looking to begin human trials, though a widely available vaccine could still be weeks away (link). Still, that's extraordinaly fast given we're only a couple of months into this.
    DrumSteve wrote: »
    I thought that they just had a better test kit to identify it earlier?

They say they have an approved antibody testing kit. Link
    These kits can take a week or more to detect if you've been infected and so don't replace the RT-PCR tests for presence of active virus. However the RT-PCR tests may also not register a positive result for a few days and have sometimes given false negative results.

Where they will be really useful is in seeing who has been infected before and recovered. That will show the scale of outbreaks, and give a much better idea of the true proportion of cases that develop into a serious condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

For those who are interested, Close Case death rate drops to 8.95%, first time below 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MD1990 wrote: »
    going to be very tough for people especially older who live on their own soon when we most likely have to qurantine.

Indeed yes. Those who have meals on wheels /attend lunch clubs will be fine and I think the organisers will reach out more. but really up to us to look out for our neighbours?

In a tiny community here with several old folk and they will all be looked out for. As I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

the "vaccine" is what they want people to be scared into taking.
    that's the real story here.

there's no virus, there's no vaccine - it's something else they'll prick you with.
    and you will do it willingly - because they have succesfully scared the masses.

The only people taking it will be the people on boards.ie no one else cares... was that China’s plan this whole time ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,551 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok question about the coronavirus I know it can cause pneumonia..
    I had what was described as atypical viral pneumonia when I was about 19. It was bloody horrendous I lost about 3 stone by the end of it.
    Not sure if this would make me more or less susceptible to this? I am guessing I will be at same risk, my immune system is excellent since very rare I get a cold even.

wylo wrote: »
    We're not really, I dont think anyone is under any illusions that it wont come here. I am not sure pulling the plug on daily business will be of much benefit, in fact, you could argue it may kill more people than it will save. (supplies issues etc)

As you say it is too soon to take Draconian measures. and as with Italy no way of knowing where in Ireland it may hit. No use lockdown in Donegal for an outbreak down in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

An Italian doctor has tested positive for the virus in Tenerife.

It's probably already in this country now and we don't even know it.
    Containment hasn't worked.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok question about the coronavirus I know it can cause pneumonia..
    I had what was described as atypical viral pneumonia when I was about 19. It was bloody horrendous I lost about 3 stone by the end of it.
    Not sure if this would make me more or less susceptible to this? I am guessing I will be at same risk, my immune system is excellent since very rare I get a cold even.

I can’t answer that. Dazzler, Martina or Catamaniac might have some insight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

An Italian doctor has tested positive for the virus in Tenerife.

It's probably already in this country now and we don't even know it.
    Containment hasn't worked.

I would be surprised if it wasn't already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Was feeling a little bit positive after hearing about the vaccine, then I watched Dr Johns video :(

Bloody hell he's pessimistic!!

He says the Italian situation is worrying as it's only a week old and already has CFR of 3% and criticial cases 13% ... but he's being a bit disingenous there as the testing is only a week old, a lot of these people have been sick for a few weeks now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

fr336 wrote: »
    What do you suggest? We dismiss the thousands who work in governments and health services the world over and let the conspiracy mob take over? There is a lot we don't know about governments and people in power but you lot go too far the other way not believing literally anything. Ironically you go on to say it's just the flu based on the WHO comparing the spread of it to flu. What if the government's are actually downplaying it and want you to downplay it too so they can kill off millions? Are you part of the conpiracy? Oh my god do you work for them??

I'm not sure why, but this reminded me of Stan by Eminem for some reason.

The silence from other European countries is deafening, still showing ridiculously low confirmed cases, are we all afraid to test our patients?
    Hospitals have been epicenters of contagious before, they need to run tests at least there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Are there any travel warnings in place?

My parents, who are in their 70's, have a trip coming up soon to Tenerife. It's a little concerning now seeing that hotel there in lock down. The chances of it being just confined to that hotel are probably slim.

nocoverart wrote: »

:D

It does read like a rap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Comix wrote: »
    Simple rundown is that it infects Ace-2 receptors in lungs, the further East you are from the more of these you have (China), the further West you are from the less you have(Ireland).
    Interesting. Can you give any references?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The silence from other European countries is deafening, still showing ridiculously low confirmed cases, are we all afraid to test our patients?
    Hospitals have been epicenters of contagious before, they need to run tests at least there

The italy situation looks like it will repeat again and again in Europe. Surprise, then lockdown. The WHO investigator for Wuhan admits there's no other way to limit it than the strictest measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Was feeling a little bit positive after hearing about the vaccine, then I watched Dr Johns video :(

Bloody hell he's pessimistic!!

He says the Italian situation is worrying as it's only a week old and already has CFR of 3% and criticial cases 13% ... but he's being a bit disingenous there as the testing is only a week old, a lot of these people have been sick for a few weeks now ..

He seemed very reliable a couple of weeks ago but he's now said a couple of things recently that would throw his reliability into question for me.

The fact he calls himself Dr John when talking about health issues despite not being a medical doctor is a bit disingenuous as well IMO. I understand that as a PhD holder he's entitled to call himself that but surely he's aware of the fact people are going to misinterpret his qualification given the context?

Edit: to avoid any confusion, I am also, despite my username on here, not a medical doctor

Comix wrote: »
    No need to panic yet!
    Simple rundown is that it infects Ace-2 receptors in lungs, the further East you are from the more of these you have (China), the further West you are from the less you have(Ireland).
    Off all the dead so far in Italy they have only made public the ID of one victim, a 80+year old Italian man with already bad health.
    The question you should be asking is who are the other 6 victims?
    I can tell you now they were Chinese, so unless it mutates if you are not Asian , no need to panic.
    Your own eyes will show you Western government don't seem to be taking it as serious as they should if it was going to be as bad in the west as in Asia.

Not sure of this is a sarcastic post or not, but the 7 Italian victims are listed - can't find the link anymore, it was live until yesterday - they were all Italians.
    The 38 yo male who was among the first to be diagnosed with the virus is still in intensive care, also italian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

WHO guy who was in Wuhan is adamant about the quarantines being effective. It's the difference between exponential growth and getting a handle on it.

Which is why iv'e been saying for weeks now we will have to see the same level of enforcement/quarantine here in the Western nations or else we are going to see untold numbers of dead and infected but that's not going to happen as the number crunchers have decided that level of action will make the 2008 economic crash seem like a tea party.

The Chinese made/are making a mammoth effort to stop spread to Bejing etc...and it seems to be working. We won't see that here.

And still today flights arriving from Milan and other parts of the world with zero checks.

jester77 wrote: »
    Are there any travel warnings in place?

My parents, who are in their 70's, have a trip coming up soon to Tenerife. It's a little concerning now seeing that hotel there in lock down. The chances of it being just confined to that hotel are probably slim.

Seems unwise to travel there frankly , the way things are going. Keep a close eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

nocoverart wrote: »

Thank you

I think Coronavirus conspiracy theorists should keep to the appropriate thread. If there is anything man made about this, I would absolutely believe it to be accidental rather than deliberate, eg a virus leaked out of lab which evolved in the creation of a vaccine for SARS-1. But in meantime the genie is out of the bottle and we must cope with it some way or another, and that’s really what we are trying to address here on this this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Graces7 wrote: »
    As you say it is too soon to take Draconian measures. and as with Italy no way of knowing where in Ireland it may hit. No use lockdown in Donegal for an outbreak down in West Cork.

No now is the time to take draconian measures and it's probably too late now anyway. Should have been done weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Austria and Croatia now have confirmed cases. We're sleep walking into this.

source? or are you one of this clowns who thinks it's funny/ to amuse yourself.. purposely spreading self made fake news? pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement