Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Reati wrote: »

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Bit like Met Éireann weather alerts!

Tell that to your diabetic friend or your grandmother, to which this virus poses a significant health risk. If you're in your 20s/30s/40s and are lucky to have no underlying health conditions, then yeah, you're alright Jack.

It's far more communicable than the regular flu and if left unchecked, will spread far and wide, in which case, many people will expire earlier than they should have.

Public health isn't just about the individual, it's about the community at large. Many tens of thousands of people around the world are working around the clock to ensure this virus stays a thing people can have a laugh about at a distance on their smartphone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Reati I hope you are right, but I feel we are on the cusp of major societal change due to this virus. I read the parts of the WHO report from their visit to China (that I could follow), it is sobering stuff. On phone so can’t link at minute.
    If Governments don’t get their ducks in a row the health services will be overwhelmed and fast, think of what that does to a society. You can’t get help for your family and loved ones if sick. It will cause panic and unrest. The best way to prevent this is for them to plan now (we have to hope they are), contain any clusters as quickly as they can.
    What we can do is practice good hygiene as much as possible, clean surfaces daily in your house that everyone touches, have enough provisions in for at least two weeks if you need to self isolate or want to avoid going out in a cluster area.
    I’m not trying to cause panic, I am not a Tin foil hat merchant, I am someone who has followed this from the start, understood that it’s not the god damn flu (it’s the pressure on the health service) is the issue. Italy had 64 in ICU beds, that is enormous pressure. Anyhow I hope you all can quote this in a few weeks and slag the life out of me, if that’s the case I’ll give a nice donation to a charity of the threads choice. Anyhow time for a coffee.

Link to WHO report. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's ridiculous what's happened the last couple of days on here. Thread was an excellent resource for keeping up with what's happening but it's gone downhill to an after hours standard.

What? This is After Hours. Literally.

The current affairs sub-forum of After hours. Tbf, you aren't the only one, but its a bit rich to come to After Hours and complain that it is to an after hours standard. I am sure there are Health, Travel, Politics, etc sections for discussions of corona in a non after hours manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Boozybooze wrote: »
    The regular flu is also very dangerous to people with underlying medical conditions going by 250000 hospitalised and 14000 deaths in the US.

I actually think Trump is right about the Coronavirus. It's scare mongering

Yes but there is a much better understanding of the flu.

Why is both the R-nought and death rate for covid-19 so much higher than the flu?
    Is it not prudent to combat it now in case it has the potential of getting totally out of control?

Also the flu does not disappear because of SARS-CoV-2, the health care systems has to deal with this in addition to everything else.
    How much unused capacity do hospitals in this country have?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Quote: BanditLuke
    It's ridiculous what's happened the last couple of days on here. Thread was an excellent resource for keeping up with what's happening but it's gone downhill to an after hours standard

End Quote.

Bandit Luke is correct. It USED to be an excellent resource, back before it hit Europe. Now its full of pages and pages of slagging and memes

I did try to set up a separate thread once with a specific question. It was moved to here.

The thread did originate in After hours before it was notably moved to current affairs. There are no other decent threads now.
    Reddit used to be an excellent resource too. Then ppl were getting banned for nothing and suspicionsn.of CCP running some threads.

As a result I would like to know if anyone who has been following this since start can point me to a decent conversation. I have food in but not 2.weeks worth. Id like to know honestly whats happening but not panic.

quote="The Rape of Lucretia;112680321"]What?
    This is After Hours. Literally.

The current affairs sub-forum of After hours. Tbf, you aren't the only one, but its a bit rich to come to After Hours and complain that it is to an after hours standard. I am sure there are Health, Travel, Politics, etc sections for discussions of corona in a non after hours manner.[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

fritzelly wrote: »
    Source, don't see anything reported
    The latest situation report on the WHO website.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Ain't the regular flu also contagious? In a similar way the new coved 19 is. I know not as serious but it shows a huge proportion of populations do not get effected. This virus does seem to attack people with weak immune systems though. They need to be protected that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Hey Runways i heard u were sick... hope u are ok now?

Runaways wrote: »
    3 cases in Washington state now. About to explode in America.

Can only hope it’s a massive dent in trumps reelection hopes

He gutted the CDC budget and is now saying it’s a disease created o hyped up by the pesky democrats

This is on his watch. Hopefully it takes him down politically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I agree pressure on our health service is going go be a massive issue.

It looks like they are lining up to take a very hands off approach and hoping people sort themselves out. I think it will be a game changer in this country if it spreads and people are not given any help.

We are a wealthy country, pay high taxes and 120% deserve a health system that is functioning with capacity at ALL times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No new posts for almost 20 mins! Everyone still ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

I reckon a big hurdle in people comprehending the impact of this illness is a lack of basic math skills;
    - Not understanding basic percentages 'it's only 2% death rate', X20 the flu,
    - ignoring that 5% of cases are critical/need respirators, and
    - not being able to grasp that a disease twice as infectious as flu will spread exponentially quicker.

One other stat HSE spare capacity prior to the outbreak, less than zero.

Stay safe and don't be foolish enough to think you can disregard this and weather it like a bad cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I reckon a big hurdle in people comprehending the impact of this illness is a lack of basic math skills;
    - Not understanding basic percentages 'it's only 2% death rate', X20 the flu,
    - ignoring that 5% of cases are critical/need respirators, and
    - not being able to grasp that a disease twice as infectious as flu will spread exponentially quicker.

One other stat HSE spare capacity prior to the outbreak, less than zero.

Stay safe and don't be foolish enough to think you can disregard this and weather it like a bad cough.

Very surprised that alot of people cant grasp what is written down in front of them. I worry that this could happen. We actually do relatively ok with containing severe cases for a few weeks, then get comfortable and an explosion of cases and its chaos then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Surprised to see no more cases here yet. The HSE are saying they have contacted everyone who was in contact with that woman but she must have infected one or two at least.

The general attitude to controlling infectious disease in Ireland is bad. My kid was a preemie and his immune system wasn't fantastic during his first year. Needed steroids for respiratory infections, had one emergency and was admitted once. I avoided getting sick myself to avoid giving it to him.

I noticed how blase people were when it came to transmitting disease. Meetings at work in small unventilated rooms with people who were obviously unwell. I insisted on ventilation and kept anyone sick well away from me, which people complied with but you could tell they thought it was unreasonable. Pushed for people to work from home if they were sick too. Think I suggested the employer paid for and encouraged flu shots, which would have saved them more than it would have cost, but that didn't happen.

There will be more of the same with this, but at a national level. Most people won't be hit hard by it and will just continue as normal, not give a sh!t about spreading it. Most people respect people who go to work while sick more than someone who works from home or takes time off, which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

MadYaker wrote: »
    Surprised to see no more cases here yet. The HSE are saying they have contacted everyone who was in contact with that woman but she must have infected one or two at least.

Well if they aren’t testing people it’s very hard to have a confirmed case .. the HSE hoping this just goes away and then you had your man on the late late telling everyone to travel where you want apart from China.

harr wrote: »
    Well if they aren’t testing people it’s very hard to have a confirmed case .. the HSE hoping this just goes away and then you had your man on the late late telling everyone to travel where you want apart from China.
    They are testing lots of people in fairness. Not sure a test will work if someone has just caught it and has no symptoms.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It can take a while for symptoms to appear, and that's the big concern. If the HSE were good, they would tell anyone who was in contact with that person to self isolate for 2 weeks. But, current advice is, even if you have symptoms, don't worry about it, unless you came back from China, and even then, ah sure, wait and see until there's enough people sick with it, and then we'll figure it out.

It's typical public servant attitude. Not enough people sick = not worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Looking at the these stats https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

About half of the 85k cases have been closed, that is either the patient recovered or died, the death rate is 7%

The other half of the 85k cases are still open, and of those cases 18% are in either serious or critical condition.

I haven't bought into the mass hysteria, but I camly purchased items over the past 6 weeks that my family might need so we can isolate ourselves if necessary. No harm having extra food, masks, etc that we will eventually use anyway.

There is a huge amount of incredibly selfish remarks I'm hearing every day saying things like "oh I'm not worried i'm not in an at-risk group" yes but how would you feel if you passed it on to a person receiving cancer treatment, elderly, pregnant women, people with asthma... so many people in this society are actually in the at risk groups and you could be responsible for them getting this and potentially not being able to fight it. This post isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a generalised rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Sorry if this has been asked but im 50 pages behind at the moment. How is self quarantine going to work with sick leave and certs for work?
    I was sent home from work this week sick. I have no sick leave left so decided to take the few days as annual leave. However got a phonecall from the employer saying as i was sent home sick in order to qualify for annual leave i needed a certificate of fitness from my gp stating i was fit for work. Daft, regardless i had to go to the gp (got a sick cert, dont know how that will work out when i go back). The HSE is telling us not to go to the gp, how will employers deal with certs and med 1 forms. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many folk do not "get it" about stocking up with eg food. But the shops are full of food, they say, so why panic?

The idea of and need for stocking up with food etc is in case of a need for self isolation, and to avoid going to busy places in an epidemic.

And the more who stock wisely now the less chance there ever is of shops running out in a serious outbreak.

Not panic but wise provision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

2nd South Korea update released with 219 cases bringing total for the day to 813. Source BNO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The general attitude to controlling infectious disease in Ireland is bad. My kid was a preemie and his immune system wasn't fantastic during his first year. Needed steroids for respiratory infections, had one emergency and was admitted once. I avoided getting sick myself to avoid giving it to him.

I noticed how blase people were when it came to transmitting disease. Meetings at work in small unventilated rooms with people who were obviously unwell. I insisted on ventilation and kept anyone sick well away from me, which people complied with but you could tell they thought it was unreasonable. Pushed for people to work from home if they were sick too. Think I suggested the employer paid for and encouraged flu shots, which would have saved them more than it would have cost, but that didn't happen.

There will be more of the same with this, but at a national level. Most people won't be hit hard by it and will just continue as normal, not give a sh!t about spreading it. Most people respect people who go to work while sick more than someone who works from home or takes time off, which is ridiculous.

Needs a culture change, people going around saying theirs bad flu going around and everyone is getting a few months back. Like its a badge of honor. Just practice basic hygiene, good diet and drink water rather than blaming the HSE solely. People need to be accountable for their own lifestyle. Seeing so many posts from diabetic's and their are pretty young too, which is a surprise to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Someone mentioned here that it could turn out that the person in the north tested positive because it's the NHS rather than the HSE performing tests there. It's been on my mind since, doesn't seem plausible that we have no positive tests yet.
    Also read on the Guardian this morning that many of the US initial tests were faulty and had to order more tests.
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next few weeks but I'm very skeptical of the current status of "all tests are negative" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

How are Joe public going to handle this if we do get an outbreak? My wife works in a crèche, she gets parents lying all the time trying to send sick kids to the crèche full well knowing they are sick.

antodeco wrote: »
    It can take a while for symptoms to appear, and that's the big concern. If the HSE were good, they would tell anyone who was in contact with that person to self isolate for 2 weeks. But, current advice is, even if you have symptoms, don't worry about it, unless you came back from China, and even then, ah sure, wait and see until there's enough people sick with it, and then we'll figure it out.

It's typical public servant attitude. Not enough people sick = not worth the effort

That’s not the advice from the HSE at all, have you even read their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I noticed that the ones being diagnosed in the US now without any travel history are from the same areas/counties as some of the first cases linked to China weeks ago- Snohomish, santa clara, Sacramento, Oregon. Clearly they did infect people in the early days of their illness. The only good thing is they were quarantined immediately after diagnosis unlike the first cases in China. But what about the others who dont know they have it?

So I guess you'll know in a few weeks. It was around the same time that the first canadian cases came to light too so maybe we will see infections of unknown origin there too in the coming days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Apparently face masks and hand gel are being sold out everywhere. Looking at the bottle of hand gel I have, it kills bacteria, it doesn't mention killing viruses. So is this any good at preventing catching this Corona virus. Before someone mentions hand washing and soap is good, it's not always possible to wash hands like after using a bus. So is hand gel any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Someone mentioned here that it could turn out that the person in the north tested positive because it's the NHS rather than the HSE performing tests there. It's been on my mind since, doesn't seem plausible that we have no positive tests yet.
    Also read on the Guardian this morning that many of the US initial tests were faulty and had to order more tests.
    Will be interesting to see how it plays out in the next few weeks but I'm very skeptical of the current status of "all tests are negative" here.

Yes I was thinking exactly same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the HSE are testing incorrectly or sending the tests to America to be analyzed so it takes 2 weeks for results!

Apparently face masks and hand gel are being sold out everywhere. Looking at the bottle of hand gel I have, it kills bacteria, it doesn't mention killing viruses. So is this any good at preventing catching this Corona virus. Before someone mentions hand washing and soap is good, it's not always possible to wash hands like after using a bus. So is hand gel any good?

Get one that has alcohol in it, kills viruses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Yes I was thinking exactly same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the HSE are testing incorrectly or sending the tests to America to be analyzed so it takes 2 weeks for results!

The testing is done in UCD and results are within 24 hours and are not faulty. The issue with this virus is the asymptomatic aspect. Stop posting rubbish scare mongering random crap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement