Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Say that when your loved one is at home on the couch gasping for their last air, waiting for a phone call that never comes from the 'HSE hotline', hospitals completely broken and panicked people arriving in their droves at emergency rooms demanding to the security staff that someone sees to their parent/loved one.

Now imagine that this isn't some time in 2021 but sometime before Easter, the shock to the system is going to cause national trauma, official Ireland of the soft landing is failing us again. A billion euro war chest should already be released to CPO private buildings for use as containment centres.

There’s a lot of nutters on boards these days. Do you have any idea how long it takes to CPO something? At least you’re not in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

It would be terrible to have elderly relatives in hospital with this and not be able to visit them. Or to be separated from our kids. It’s really not going to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

fits wrote: »
    It would be terrible to have elderly relatives in hospital with this and not be able to visit them. Or to be separated from our kids. It’s really not going to be good.

Happens all the time without Corona virus.
    I can't visit my mother at the moment because of a suspected Norovirus outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

You can be infected, isolate yourself for a month, recover, and then be infected again. And again. There's no immunity and the lack of symptoms for many means there's a constant risk of transferring the virus to others.

There is no actual evidence that this is the case though except for a few anecdotal stories which could be explained by faulty or insufficient testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Genuine question, but I see many people comparing this to the flu, saying that there is a big fuss being made about it when there doesn't need to be.

But I was thinking about the Diamond Princess situation. There has been 6 deaths so far caused by this virus on that cruise ship and I'm wondering if there has been a situation in the past where 6 people have died on a cruise ship due to a dose of the flu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

fits wrote: »

Christ almighty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I wonder have journal.ie finished cleaning the floors after all those loads were blown the day the first case was confirmed ‘on the island’..

The zombie apocalypse style media hype is absolutely cringeworthy! The virus itself not even that bad!! Did anyone see Prof Luke O’Neill on Tubridy last night? Nice to get a rational calm perspective on this nonsense. I won’t be cancelling my holiday after all.

Jesus wept....

The type of poster that will end up infecting hundreds through ignorance. But sure its not that bad eh as long as your alright **** everyone else.

Do yourself a favour and go check the facts around the virus and its spread.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Jesus wept....

The type of poster that will end up infecting hundreds through ignorance. But sure its not that bad eh as long as your alright **** everyone else.

Do yourself a favour and go check the facts around the virus and its spread.

One person in Ireland is sick, not dead, sick. I’m not going to infect hundreds, I’m saying the media and panic merchants on here need to get a grip before we cause the next recession overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

One person in Ireland is sick, not dead, sick. I’m not going to infect hundreds, I’m saying the media and panic merchants on here need to get a grip before we cause the next recession overnight!

There is definitely going to be a recession.

It's the least of our worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Genuine question, but I see many people comparing this to the flu, saying that there is a big fuss being made about it when there doesn't need to be.

But I was thinking about the Diamond Princess situation. There has been 6 deaths so far caused by this virus on that cruise ship and I'm wondering if there has been a situation in the past where 6 people have died on a cruise ship due to a dose of the flu?

Interesting question... I'm not sure if anyone would join the dots if it was flu and 6 people went home and died in different countries.
    If it was say Legionnaires disease or norovirus and it hit a cruise ship then the dots would be connected.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Apparently one of the factories in ireland are supplying solely to China.. an irish pharmacist told me this. They had contacted them directly to try and source. Pity.

I am famkliar with only 1 manufacturer and know they supply to many of the big medical companies here - these companies only really supply to registered medical practices/hospitals though, although they will probably sell reasonable orders to the general public but there is a restriction on sale of face masks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You'd swear a lot on here are looking forward to it.

Peatys wrote: »
    You'd swear a lot on here are looking forward to it.

Some are! The media are absolutely creaming themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

gabeeg wrote: »

When exactly?

Just so I can isolate myself from it.

One person is sick and more people are 99% likely infected at this point in time. Where you and I might be strong enough to battle this, my concern lies with protecting elderly relatives and everyone else who might be compromised.

The economy is going go to take a hit anyway. That's a certainty. For me the cat is well out of the bag so prevention and damage limitation needs to be the focus now and all of us have a responsibility there.

Allinall wrote: »
    When exactly?

Just so I can isolate myself from it.

And make a fortune

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well they're not faulty, but false negatives are an issue. People with the virus that come back as a negative, even when they're obviously symptomatic. 5% IIRC. That Chinese doctor whistleblower who later sadly died was one example. A run of negative results until he finally got a positive. Now we're hearing of folks who have recovered from the virus testing positive again weeks later.

*Personal musings* I have the feeling that when the dust is settled we'll discover that the testing isn't as accurate as it appears to be and that other viral infections may trigger a positive. This might explain the odd nature of this particular virus. IE a wildly variable incubation time and a helluva range of symptom presentation. If you look at similar viruses like MERS and SARS this variability wasn't present to nearly the same degree. If you caught either of them you came down with it in the same timeframe and you were clearly ill. They were much more predictable across the board, hence my musings that we're still in the learning stages with this coronavirus.
    reinfection has thus far been few and far between and even then it has not been definitively confirmed, in fact, the thought now is the antibodies will recognise a reinfection and thankfully the illness is mild, good news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Peatys wrote: »
    And make a fortune

It’s the best time.

Buy when everyone’s selling.

Allinall wrote: »
    It’s the best time.

Buy when everyone’s selling.

Donald? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I am famkliar with only 1 manufacturer and know they supply to many of the big medical companies here - these companies only really supply to registered medical practices/hospitals though, although they will probably sell reasonable orders to the general public but there is a restriction on sale of face masks

Don't know how many manufacturers in ireland... the pharmacist had contacted them directly to request for several pharmacies and was told orders are committed to China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

gabeeg wrote: »

To be fair, I'm more worried about a recession than I am of the 0.2% chance of dying from a virus that I have a miniscule chance of getting in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

China shut down economic operations for weeks... the economic impacts of this could be huge if say a third of the population have to self isolate. Social gatherings dramatically curtailed for months. Travel and cruise bookings and tourism grind to a halt.

That's what will cause a recession. Not words in a newspaper or online forum.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

MadYaker wrote: »
    The testing uses samples of the viruses DNA. All different viruses have different DNA so it’s not really possible for a different virus to be identified as this particular corona virus. The testing involves PCR assays. You can read about it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction
    Oh I get that MY, but others have been questioning the results of this this test. One of those at the top in the epicentre of the Chinese outbreak said this: However, since the test involves several steps, a mistake at any one stage could affect the outcome, Li Yan, head of the diagnostic centre at the People’s Hospital of Wuhan University, said in an interview with state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday.

The accuracy rate of the test is only 30 to 50 per cent, said Wang Chen, president of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, during a CCTV interview on Wednesday.

Others have been saying the percentage of false negatives is between 3-5%.: However, RT-PCR tests for the novel coronavirus are not perfect and not always accurate. A recent study in the journal Radiology examined medical records from 167 patients with COVID-19 from Hunan province in China. Researchers found that five patients out of 167 -- 3% of the study group -- who had chest CT scan features suggestive of COVID-19 initially tested negative for SARS-CoV-2 infection by RT-PCR. The patients were isolated and all eventually were confirmed through repeated swab tests to have the infection.

False negatives comprised just 3% of the patient population in this study. However, failure to detect a small number of cases of the potentially deadly viral infection may have wide-ranging effects for patients and others who may become infected.

The lag between symptoms and positives can be puzzling too: Another option is the patients do have the coronavirus but it is at such an early stage, there is not enough to detect.

Even though RT-PCR tests massively expand the amount of genetic material, they need something to work from.

"But that doesn't make sense after six tests," Dr MacDermott says.

"With Ebola, we always waited 72 hours after a negative result to give the virus time."

I personally believe that there is more noise in the signal about this outbreak than we think.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm more worried about a recession than I am of the 0.2% chance of dying from a virus that I have a miniscule chance of getting in the first place.

2% chance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

2% chance

Mortality rate can’t be calculated accurately until the outbreak has concluded.

Recession is very real, however when things ease, you will see production intensify around the clock for many industries so it should be ok, however if it keeps going for 6 or more months, recession is on the agenda (arguably). Great time to be an investor though

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Lucyfur wrote: »
    If you mix it with aloe vera and vitamin E it'll be a little less harsh on your hands.

DIY hand gel... looks straighforward to make. All ingredients easily got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

2% chance

The stats show that my age bracket (29) is 0.2%. I guess the 2% is for every age bracket combined?

**Not trying to downplay anything. I have elderly people that I'm concerned for. What I mean is for myself and most people I know have little to be worried about**

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Playback on Radio 1 was priceless today. People were losing their minds on Liveline. Even Joe was struggling to contain the utter madness. It somewhat reflected the height of the panic in the previous thread to this one. So much misinformation too, even from Joe. Worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Remember swine-flu?

It's estimated that somewhere between 11-21% of the planet contracted it.
    I did too. It was pretty horrible.

Coronavirus is even more infectious. We have zero immunity to it.

If there's an outbreak here like there is in Italy, and now Germany and France, most of us are going to get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement