Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The stats show that my age bracket (29) is 0.2%. I guess the 2% is for every age bracket combined?

**Not trying to downplay anything. I have elderly people that I'm concerned for. What I mean is for myself and most people I know have little to be worried about**

That's an extremely narcissistic view of looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

KingBobby wrote: »

There is a huge amount of incredibly selfish remarks I'm hearing every day saying things like "oh I'm not worried i'm not in an at-risk group" yes but how would you feel if you passed it on to a person receiving cancer treatment, elderly, pregnant women, people with asthma... so many people in this society are actually in the at risk groups and you could be responsible for them getting this and potentially not being able to fight it. This post isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a generalised rant.

Agree with this. My son was admitted to ICU at 7 days old with seizures. We were told he was significantly brain damaged and would have CP and couldn’t tell us the extent. It turned out to be a virus, very rare here so no one had heard of it bar the infectious disease team. Turned out a baby was in just before us from same maternity hospital so I reckon it was spreading there. That baby died. If one of us got the virus we would have a snotty nose at worse, it’s just dangerous for neonates and can cause long term developmental problems. My son was lucky but I still wouldn’t wish that experience on anyone.
    While I hope me and my family won’t get this, or if we do we won’t get very ill, we all still have to take whatever steps necessary to stop the spread. It’s not ok to think you’ll be ok and take your chances- some people won’t be ok, and their families will live with that for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just some small alternative tips for those who are taking precautions:

- get some crackers or long lasting biscuits (eg bourbon) for the kids, it’s nice to have some treats if they do have to stay at home for awhile

- stock up on coffee or your own treat , like your children, you will
    Miss your vices if isolated

- things you have put off get done, car service , plumber , boiler or anything that you kinda sorta just haven’t arsed doing for numerous reasons but know you prob should

- Maybe have some funds in an alternative bank (online or otherwise) in case your main bank has any issues for any reason.

- talk to people who have done this before (Graces7 here has been really helpful to me)

- Dont panic. From what we know to date, there really is nothing at all to panic about, this looks like mostly being an inconvenience for a lot of us personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

wadacrack wrote: »
    That's an extremely narcissistic view of looking at it

Why? I clearly stated that I have concerns for the elderly people in my life.

And of course I will self isolate if ever I get the virus. Nothing selfish about it knowing I'm going to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The stats show that my age bracket (29) is 0.2%. I guess the 2% is for every age bracket combined?

**Not trying to downplay anything. I have elderly people that I'm concerned for. What I mean is for myself and most people I know have little to be worried about**

If you just take the South Korea numbers then you are looking at a rate of 0.58%

The reason to take their numbers in isolation are:
    * High numbers
    * Higher testing rate than other countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Christ almighty...

WTAF is wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most of us went for beans, rice, pasta, fish fingers, hand sanitizer, tuna and Jax Roll.

Hope this helps.

Potaoes. flour eggs... whatever you would normally buy for 2 weeks

And pet food if you have one

and OTC meds eg paracetamol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

schmoo2k wrote: »
    If you just take the South Korea numbers then you are looking at a rate of 0.58%

The reason to take their numbers in isolation are:
    * High numbers
    * Higher testing rate than other countries

Yeah but they've got one of the best health systems around, and it's presumably being tested to its limits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Apologies in advance for a factual post!

The HSE is following ECDC guidelines (the European equivalent of the CDC).

The HSE helpline is very busy so only phone them if you have returned from a region with presumed community transmission in the past 14 days, have had contact with a confirmed case, attended a healthcare facility where confirmed cases may have been treated or cannot find the answer to your query on hse.ie or hpsc.ie

This video is long but well worth a watch. Bruce Aylward team lead of the WHO mission to China details how China responded to COVID 19 and encourages other countries to take the same aggressive approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Fear sells. According to Radio 1, Amazon are reporting massive price rises for coronavirus goods (masks, hand sanetiser) etc. Most of the masks being sold make no difference whatsoever. Huge demand increases too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Yeah but they've got one of the best health systems around, and it's presumably being tested to its limits...

They have a confirmed infection rate of 0.0057% so I am guessing not stressing their health care system that much.

If those stats were in Ireland with a population of 5 Million:
    * 285 infected
    * 1.6 dead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

DIY hand gel... looks straighforward to make. All ingredients easily got.

Vodka is not strong enough. You need 99% Isopropyl alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Graces7 wrote: »
    Potaoes. flour eggs... whatever you would normally buy for 2 weeks

And pet food if you have one

and OTC meds eg paracetamol

Pet becomes food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Fear sells. According to Radio 1, Amazon are reporting massive price rises for coronavirus goods (masks, hand sanetiser) etc. Most of the masks being sold make no difference whatsoever. Huge demand increases too.

Panic buying uninformed idiots. Same ones who laughed at the likes of myself who stocked up on face masks, hand gels and other assorted goods weeka ago.

I suppose Manchester United will be fine and dandy those eejits have been panic buying for years now :D

silverharp wrote: »

Must be absolutely rampant over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

silverharp wrote: »

The replies to that on Twitter are really disgusting.

With that said, googling his name yields only results relating to his death by corona virus. If he was an MP wouldn't there be some trace of his existence prior to today? Not sure if it's a fake story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Panic buying uninformed idiots. Same ones who laughed at the likes of myself who stocked up on face masks, hand gels and other assorted goods weeka ago.

I suppose Manchester United will be fine and dandy those eejits have been panic buying for years now :D

Yes buying large quantities of useless face masks is what uninformed idiots do in a panic. Listen back to the Radio 1 program (10am to 10:10am roughly). Amazon have even seen sellers update the descriptions of the masks to say they protect against the new coronavirus when they absolutely dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Evening figures for Korea are out. Up to 3150.

• Advertisement

Yes buying large quantities of useless face masks is what uninformed idiots do in a panic.

But they aren't useless. They are one part of a solution to the problem. Inform yourself and do us all a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

gabeeg wrote: »
    Remember swine-flu?

It's estimated that somewhere between 11-21% of the planet contracted it.
    I did too. It was pretty horrible.

Coronavirus is even more infectious. We have zero immunity to it.

If there's an outbreak here like there is in Italy, and now Germany and France, most of us are going to get it.

Nonsense. Even in China most of the population didn’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

quokula wrote: »

With that said, googling his name yields only results relating to his death by corona virus. If he was an MP wouldn't there be some trace of his existence prior to today? Not sure if it's a fake story.

what I know about Iranian politics wouldn't fill a matchbox, there is an article here. I assume there will be more over time

https://en.trend.az/iran/3199682.html

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Dante7 wrote: »
    Vodka is not strong enough. You need 99% Isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks Dante7, is this same as rubbing alcohol or surgical spirits sold in chemist

I reckon a big hurdle in people comprehending the impact of this illness is a lack of basic math skills;
    - Not understanding basic percentages 'it's only 2% death rate', X20 the flu,
    - ignoring that 5% of cases are critical/need respirators, and
    - not being able to grasp that a disease twice as infectious as flu will spread exponentially quicker.

One other stat HSE spare capacity prior to the outbreak, less than zero.

Stay safe and don't be foolish enough to think you can disregard this and weather it like a bad cough.

Add to that the danger of the HSE rolling out spin doctors like last night on the LLS making it seem like as you say this is nothing to worry about and you are going to get a lot of ignorance. Ignorance is a killer in this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I’m pretty sure the guy existed before catching the virus. Why would it be a fake story?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nonsense. Even in China most of the population didn’t get it.

Because of the measures taken, measures take we won't take here in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

The article says “ influenza and chemical injuries” sustained in the Iran-Iraq war“. That’s not very clear, old injuries presumably, maybe exasperated by this?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Peatys wrote: »
    Pet becomes food

Unless you get sick, self isolate and die.

Give it a couple of days the roles are reversed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement