Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

I haven't seen a link to Dr John on the thread in a while. He's a good calm source of up to date info to combat all the figures being thrown around. He estimates 30% infected globally in the 1st year and 0.5% to 1% death rate depending on medical care. Access to oxygen and respiratory support seem to be big factors. We are very limited in ICU beds here so our death rates may be different to other 1st world countries.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmIRMHzBZdU
    This isn't going to be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    2% chance
    That 2% is a bogus comparison because it simply compares mortality to reported cases, most of which are in the early stages.

For those cases with an outcome (recovery vs mortality), 7% of cases have resulted in death. But that number is only as good as the quality of the underlying data.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Because of the measures taken, measures take we won't take here in the West.

They are already taking said measures in Italy and Germany. Loads of workplaces closed towns on lockdown in Italy etc. Our government will do the same if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

MadYaker wrote: »
    Nonsense. Even in China most of the population didn’t get it.

What's nonsense? Between 700 million - 1.4 billion people contracted swine flu. That is a fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BanditLuke wrote: »
    But they aren't useless. They are one part of a solution to the problem. Inform yourself and do us all a favour

The program and most experts are saying most face masks are useless unless you have coronavirus. For prevention the ones being hiked from 4 euro to 15 euro on Amazon are useless. Open your ears. Radio 1, 10am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yes. Italy returning to normal. Once a country gets over a few hundred diagnosed cases, it just gets back to normal :

"In Italy, meanwhile, authorities announced they were planning to reopen schools and museums in some of the areas less hard-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, with even the hardest hit regions Lombardy and Veneto in the north leaning toward opening schools as well.

“The aim is to return to normalcy,’’ the governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, told state TV in an interview noting that it was an area where tourism was the biggest source of income, bringing in $18bn annually."

Guardian Service.

gets back to normal...and thereby precipitates a few thousand fresh cases. Seriously if a country/region is that complacent, they should be sealed off from the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Recession looks unavoidable now. Tourism is 14% of the Italian economy, worth over €260 billion euro. When one sees a deserted Venice it seems tourism will take a huge hit in what is already a very fragile economy. If other European countries experience similarly extensive outbreaks, the European tourism industry could be in serious trouble.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

gabeeg wrote: »
    Remember swine-flu?

It's estimated that somewhere between 11-21% of the planet contracted it.
    I did too. It was pretty horrible.

Coronavirus is even more infectious. We have zero immunity to it.

If there's an outbreak here like there is in Italy, and now Germany and France, most of us are going to get it.

During the “swine flu” pandemic 27 people died in Ireland as a result of getting “swine flu” virus and more than 1000 people needed to be hospitalised as a result of getting “swine flu” virus. HSE site

Hardly 'most of us'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51675183
    Amazon has not provided a list of those products it says it has removed, but a BBC search for "coronavirus" on the online site suggests many products are still being sold at unusually high prices.

In one example, a 50-piece stack of surgical masks from one seller cost more than £170, while a popular alternative of the same product is on sale for approximately £36. Even that cheaper product has still risen dramatically in price since early January, when it cost less than £10.

Some of those products are not even fit for purpose, such as disposable dust or surgical masks, rather than recommended protective equipment.

Open the link before replying please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Is there a particular reason why they singled out Iran? Are there not more cases/deaths in Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Fear sells. According to Radio 1, Amazon are reporting massive price rises for coronavirus goods (masks, hand sanetiser) etc. Most of the masks being sold make no difference whatsoever. Huge demand increases too.

This is really an issue. Panic buying just leads to those who really DO need to take extra precautions (healthcare staff, people with compromised immune systems, etc.) being unable to buy the things they need. As I said earlier in the thread, it's now impossible to find hand sanitiser in London anywhere. So anyone who truly needs it because of coronavirus exposure or another reason can't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

steve-o wrote: »
    That 2% is a bogus comparison because it simply compares mortality to reported cases, most of which are in the early stages.

For those cases with an outcome (recovery vs mortality), 7% of cases have resulted in death. But that number is only as good as the quality of the underlying data.

That 7% is dropping daily. Currently at 6.9 today from 7.26 yesterday and 7.86 the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

What sanctions are the Chinese going to get for starting this outbreak with their disgustingly poor hygiene practices and then spreading it because of their citizens travelling all over the world, often already knowing they were sick or had a risk of having the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

There was a very Ill person, Runaways, posting here yesterday. He was waiting over 20 hrs for return HSE call. Has anyone heard from him. He was self isolating. Is it possible for moderators to contact in such a case and ensure member is ok?

Achasanai wrote: »
    Is there a particular reason why they singled out Iran? Are there not more cases/deaths in Italy?

More cases according to 'official figures'...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

juno10353 wrote: »
    There was a very Ill person, Runaways, posting here yesterday. He was waiting over 20 hrs for return HSE call. Has anyone heard from him. He was self isolating. Is it possible for moderators to contact in such a case and ensure member is ok?

Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.
    Gonna call again today and not hang up til I get to speak to someone.
    Be back with whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

juno10353 wrote: »

I think an AMA thread would be really interesting for someone who is self isolating with symptoms after being in an infected area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

What sanctions are the Chinese going to get for starting this outbreak with their disgustingly poor hygiene practices and then spreading it because of their citizens travelling all over the world, often already knowing they were sick or had a risk of having the virus?

What sanctions does Italy deserve for what’s happening in the EU?

China took a 0 tolerance approach. Italy are fighting travel bans imposed on its citizens from other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

A lot of posters denying the huge negative effects of an outbreak here reminds me of the same type of mentality displayed during the bubble era circa 2006. The ones that said house prices will go up forever and that "others wanted a crash."

Well some of those concerned folk managed to shield themselves as much as they could from the 2008 crash. And we are still dealing with the fallout from that.

For the snow event I was well stocked thanks to the weather boards. No panic and we managed to enjoy the snow event while others mass panicked buying milk n bread.

But now we have something more serious on the horizon, that can overwhelm our health system and leave a terrible mark on our elderly and people with pre existing conditions.

And we are seeing the same types coming out of the woodwork again, dismissing the facts. I'm alright jack types backing them up. One poster saying us concerned will cause a recession. Listen pal, the foundations for a recession were already assembled, it just needed an event to push it further and faster down the tracks. Recession was coming regardless.

Now onto the human element. I don't want to see our health services impacted. It's tough enough for stressed out under staffed frontline health workers who are under resourced as things stand. We are going to see just how fragile our system is in the coming months. We couldn't handle a dozen more people in ICU let alone the 60 odd in Italy. This will impact on other sick people. We need to slow the spread. Because of free movement of travel we can't seem to stop flights and ships. Ideally we should but realistically it's not going to happen. So reducing the spread is our only option left. Don't ring the GP or go to the GP or your local a&e, the last thing we want is people risking infection there to vunerable sick people. Be cautious and be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭melonstar

Runaways wrote: »
    Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.

Look after yourself and call them soon.

They need to stop eating almost anything that moves, rats, bats, scorpions etc.

The program and most experts are saying most face masks are useless unless you have coronavirus. For prevention the ones being hiked from 4 euro to 15 euro on Amazon are useless. Open your ears. Radio 1, 10am.

Not all of us are about prevention in mé féin, but thinking about others in the reasonably likely event of catching the wretched virus. Our thinking must be half “what can I do to prevent myself catching it?” and half “what can I do to prevent others catching it?”. That’s the only way we will as a society mitigate it to some small degree.

This thread will think of something and deal with the Chinese later, we're focused on containing a potential outbreak here at the moment FFS.

It's a given though and without question that they will be downgraded to an 'alright bunch of lads' to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Boozybooze wrote: »
    In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Its another form of the Flu, People really need to calm down about it.

China has a population of 1.386 billion and only 83000 cases have been confirmed world wide.

People need to calm the **** down. It's getting absolutely ridiculous.

The media is absolutely lapping this up and people are falling for it.

It's not the flu and it has a case fatality rate 7 times that of influenza. A possible death toll of 45,000,0000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Have you rang your GP also? They may be able to help. Unbelievable that nobody is getting back to you. Hope you are ok and that you have support to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Thanks Dante7, is this same as rubbing alcohol or surgical spirits sold in chemist

Yes. But it is cheaper to buy in bulk. I got mine on adverts.

https://touch.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/isopropyl-alcohol-99-9-pure-1-litre/11532123

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Scrabbles38

What about your housemate... thought he was a nurse??? Sorely he can help in someway

What sanctions does Italy deserve for what’s happening in the EU?

China took a 0 tolerance approach. Italy are fighting travel bans imposed on its citizens from other countries.

Agreed. Since it became clear we have a major epidemic on our hands, the Chinese have put their shoulder to the wheel. The Italians, as a state and as a people, have been grossly complacent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

I honestly believe face masks can make a difference to preventing yourself from catching it. I suspect hand washing and other hygiene suggestions are being pushed due to the low availability of face masks. Much in the way that the WHO are refusing to call a pandemic, despite being exactly that.

Obviously if you're wearing a face mask and not combining other hygiene principles then it's a false economy. Also, another thing to note, we're still not 100% about the asymptomatic transmission. It's entirely possible that someone has it, doesn't know but is wearing a face mask, washing hands etc thus slowing the spread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement