Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Runaways wrote: »
    Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.
    Gonna call again today and not hang up til I get to speak to someone.
    Be back with whatever happens.

Are you the guy who was in sihanoukville while the diamond princess was there? So they were roaming about the city?

Hopefully you get hold of the HSE today. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Runaways wrote: »
    Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.
    Gonna call again today and not hang up til I get to speak to someone.
    Be back with whatever happens.

Good to hear from you. Please get onto that number immediately. That wound was infected and and you need to ensure no riwk of septicimia as well as virus. Waste no more time. Unacceptable that emergency number is not getting back to people self isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A lot popping up in Europe now, 79 in Germany and 45 in Spain, 14 and 2 cases respectively just 3 days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Agreed. Since it became clear we have a major epidemic on our hands, the Chinese have put their shoulder to the wheel. The Italians, as a state and as a people, have been grossly complacent.

That’s the EU buddy. Free movement seems a bit flawed during a pandemic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Not all of us are about prevention in mé féin, but thinking about others in the reasonably likely event of catching the wretched virus. Our thinking must be half “what can I do to prevent myself catching it?” and half “what can I do to prevent others catching it?”. That’s the only way we will as a society mitigate it to some small degree.

Many of the masks do neither despite the 'marketing'...

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51675183

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I mask will surely stop you unwittingly putting your hand to your mouth between hand washes.
    Surely has to have some benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

That Dr John Campbell Youtube from yesterday included a recap and update on research so far and had a few interesting points:

People who infect others without themselves seeming ill are usually (maybe always, they don't know yet) presymptomatic rather than asymptomatic.

The virus is stable, as is SARS, so people who have had it once will have acquired immunity (Dr C didn't say so, but that seems to increase the chance of a vaccine).

He wonders is the high death rate in Iran is caused by inappropriate treatment with steroids. He also noted that Iran did call off Friday prayers yesterday. Saudi has closed its pilgrimage sites.

He is sceptical of people getting re-infected - the condition is relapsing for some time after the intital infection which may be causing confusion.

That isn't exactly good news, but seems to have some crumbs of hope. The relapsing thing, and the long incubation period, make me think the HSE or someone should be reminding young fit people not to exercise while they have an infection in their system. I've known four people to die from doing that, three runners, one footballer. Sometimes from heart problems, one from sudden massive sepsis. If you do get ill, rest, and take your time getting back to your exercise routine.

Oh, and Dr John said the dog in Hong Kong wasn't contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Is it gone yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

What sanctions does Italy deserve for what’s happening in the EU?

China took a 0 tolerance approach. Italy are fighting travel bans imposed on its citizens from other countries.

Italy has tested its first case with no links to China after 36 hours.
    Then it has quarantined the two epicentres.
    No-one gets in or out those towns.

France has tested its first case with no links to China after 6 days.
    There is an epicentre in Creil (check how close it is to Paris) and there is no quarantine.
    There are direct commuter trains form Creil to Paris Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar goes to London.

Closing the borders does not work against virus spread.
    Quarantine might, though.

Some articles on Creil epicentre in the Oise regions

https://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences/coronavirus-a-creil-enquete-au-sein-de-l-armee-20200228

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-le-patient-zero-de-l-oise-un-militaire-de-la-base-de-creil-28-02-2020-8269527.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

• Advertisement

Ikozma wrote: »
    Is it gone yet

No. Get back in the wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭PhantomHat

China took a 0 tolerance approach. Italy are fighting travel bans imposed on its citizens from other countries.
    It's all about the economy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Agreed. Since it became clear we have a major epidemic on our hands, the Chinese have put their shoulder to the wheel. The Italians, as a state and as a people, have been grossly complacent.

Very few countries in the world will be able to implement an approach like China has.And if you believe the horse**** figures that they are disseminating to the world about dropping infection and death rates, you are delusional.

They are a totalitarian, Communist dictatorship that censor their media and will be capable of implementing a zero tolerance approach to containing the virus, to an extent, because they rule by fear. Their people are a hell of lot more pliant than Western nations because they are used to living in a nation where you do what your government tells you or else.

No Western nation will ever implement what the Chinese have because their peoples would not tolerate it.

I’m absolutely disgusted at how they are failing to return Runaway’s call. I have tweeted them that they are failing to respond to very unwell people who are at definite risk of having Covid-19. Tweets sometimes get more response than anything, as I have found over other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I’m absolutely disgusted at how they are failing to return Runaway’s call. I have tweeted them that they are failing to respond to very unwell people who are at definite risk of having Covid-19. Tweets sometimes get more response than anything, as I have found over other things.

It shows that the Powers that Be in this country are not taking this seriously at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

For those who are still in denial, in the “Shure, it’s only the flu” camp or the “This is all being overblown by panic merchants” camp.

The last time Ireland faced a highly infectious droplet spread virus epidemic, with a significant case fatality rate, was during the 1918/19 flu pandemic.

Between spring 1918 and early summer 1919, 800,000 people became infected on this island with the related death of almost 21,000 of them (statistics of the Registrar General of Ireland 1918-19).

Then as now, there was no vaccine and no effective antiviral treatment available.

The effects were devastating.

See… https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/greatest-killer-of-the-twentieth-century-the-great-flu-of-1918-19/

And… https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/features/the-deadly-trail-of-the-spanish-flu-through-ireland-in-1918-868857.html

Latest update on what it's like in parts of South Korea, and a bit about 3 'unexplained' cases in the US west...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51685908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Even the worst kind of surgical mask still prevents droplets and vapour from entering your nose and mouth, they're absolutely useful. They're a common sight around Asian cities for a reason.

The reality is there aren't enough masks to go around in the west and this downplaying is to prevent a rush on them from ordinary people who may prevent medical staff, police forces etc from securing enough supply.

If they were actually ineffective medical organisations wouldn't be falling over themselves to declare them as such while all frontline staff dealing with the virus continue to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Are you serious? China started it and then tried to cover it up for ages. There would be no coronavirus in Italy if it wasn't for them.

tromtipp wrote: »
    That Dr John Campbell Youtube from yesterday included a recap and update on research so far and had a few interesting points:

People who infect others without themselves seeming ill are usually (maybe always, they don't know yet) presymptomatic rather than asymptomatic.

The virus is stable, as is SARS, so people who have had it once will have acquired immunity (Dr C didn't say so, but that seems to increase the chance of a vaccine).

He wonders is the high death rate in Iran is caused by inappropriate treatment with steroids. He also noted that Iran did call off Friday prayers yesterday. Saudi has closed its pilgrimage sites.

He is sceptical of people getting re-infected - the condition is relapsing for some time after the intital infection which may be causing confusion.

That isn't exactly good news, but seems to have some crumbs of hope. The relapsing thing, and the long incubation period, make me think the HSE or someone should be reminding young fit people not to exercise while they have an infection in their system. I've known four people to die from doing that, three runners, one footballer. Sometimes from heart problems, one from sudden massive sepsis. If you do get ill, rest, and take your time getting back to your exercise routine.

Oh, and Dr John said the dog in Hong Kong wasn't contagious.

We don’t know this yet, but perhaps using steroids initially might suppress symptoms and when tapered off/withdrawn the so-called relapse might occur with double vengeance as the virus has been multiplying in meantime. This is a possible scenario with at least some of the relapsing cases, but we have yet to hear this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Latest update on what it's like in parts of South Korea, and a bit about 3 'unexplained' cases in the US west...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51685908

Fear not, Trump is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fear not, Trump is in charge.

Mike is in charge of the corona virus.

He'll pray it away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

More cases according to 'official figures'...

Fair enough if that's the case, but a quick check suggests Italy at 813 cases with Iran at 205?

spurious wrote: »
    During the “swine flu” pandemic 27 people died in Ireland as a result of getting “swine flu” virus and more than 1000 people needed to be hospitalised as a result of getting “swine flu” virus. HSE site

Hardly 'most of us'.

We had a vaccine available PDQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Mike is in charge of the corona virus.

He'll pray it away

A quick google search tells me it’s going as well as expected.

“Trump calls coronavirus criticism Democrats’ ‘new hoax’ and links it to immigration“

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Downlinz wrote: »
    Even the worst kind of surgical mask still prevents droplets and vapour from entering your nose and mouth, they're absolutely useful. They're a common sight around Asian cities for a reason.

The reality is there aren't enough masks to go around in the west and this downplaying is to prevent a rush on them from ordinary people who may prevent medical staff, police forces etc from securing enough supply.

If they were actually ineffective medical organisations wouldn't be falling over themselves to declare them as such while all frontline staff dealing with the virus continue to wear them.

Agreed. All the Asian countries have advised their citizens to wear them - why only in the west are they seen as useless? As someone pointed out, if anything, they prevent you touching your mouth and nose accidentally, which is a major route of transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Agreed. All the Asian countries have advised their citizens to wear them - why only in the west are they seen as useless? As someone pointed out, if anything, they prevent you touching your mouth and nose accidentally, which is a major route of transmission.

The Thai health authorities added that they will distribute 100,000 face masks daily – three per person.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-29-20-intl-hnk/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They need to stop eating almost anything that moves, rats, bats, scorpions etc.

Chinese people do not eat bats. Some Asian countries do afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, was just thinking more about something to use when out and about.

This may sound crazy but why not wear disposable gloves when out and about eg on buses, in shops? Just the thin invisible ones? Avoid touching your face of course but would shield from door handles etc.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised Crufts is going ahead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement