Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

A quick google search tells me it’s going as well as expected.

“Trump calls coronavirus criticism Democrats’ ‘new hoax’ and links it to immigration“

I don't know what you will do to fill the time when Trump eventually leaves office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There is speculation that the virus damages the testicles. It is unconfirmed, and based on theoretical rather than empirical evidence, but I'm just wondering if it transpired that this was something that had a 1 in 5 chance of irreparably damaging your testicles if an infected person breathed on you, rather than merely hospitalising and perhaps killing you, whether people might take it more seriously.

For those who are still in denial, in the “Shure, it’s only the flu” camp or the “This is all being overblown by panic merchants” camp.

The last time Ireland faced a highly infectious droplet spread virus epidemic, with a significant case fatality rate, was during the 1918/19 flu pandemic.

Between spring 1918 and early summer 1919, 800,000 people became infected on this island with the related death of almost 21,000 of them (statistics of the Registrar General of Ireland 1918-19).

Then as now, there was no vaccine and no effective antiviral treatment available.

The effects were devastating.

See… https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/greatest-killer-of-the-twentieth-century-the-great-flu-of-1918-19/

And… https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/features/the-deadly-trail-of-the-spanish-flu-through-ireland-in-1918-868857.html

Last droplet based virus to reach Ireland was SARS? No? That doesn't suit your agenda as it didn't kill anybody though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I don't know what you will do to fill the time when Trump eventually leaves office.

Excuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well I'm off to Lidl for some hand gel.
    Hope my bum doesn't look too big in this

Screenshot-20200229-111727.jpg

• Advertisement

Downlinz wrote: »
    Even the worst kind of surgical mask still prevents droplets and vapour from entering your nose and mouth, they're absolutely useful. They're a common sight around Asian cities for a reason.

The reality is there aren't enough masks to go around in the west and this downplaying is to prevent a rush on them from ordinary people who may prevent medical staff, police forces etc from securing enough supply.

If they were actually ineffective medical organisations wouldn't be falling over themselves to declare them as such while all frontline staff dealing with the virus continue to wear them.

We use FFP3 masks in hospital. Most of those surgical masks are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The sign of peace at mass has been suspended - good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

True enough... and there won't be a vaccine for roughly a year. I understand the need for sensible precautions, but unless you're single, live alone, and have no family.. it's going to be near impossible to put your life on hold for a year (or more) until this is resolved.

hi, are you not the one living in China or has the gf there? How's it going? it would be so good to get a live update from people directly involved as it's only about europe/the rest of the world getting infected now, not much info from China coming in.
    I read somewhere people went back to work (had to) and most production is back? Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

branie2 wrote: »

Amen to that.

I like this very simple public hygiene campaign poster produced in Nigeria. It is well designed and conveys the most basic message in a mist uncomplicated, non-alarmist, way.

https://twitter.com/ncdcgov/status/1233632205001383936?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

MadYaker wrote: »
    People still banging on about face masks ffs. I guarantee every gobsh!te out there wearing a mask will think they’re grand and forget about washing their hands which is what actually stops the virus from spreading.

Washing your hands is the number one preventative measure, but it also spreads via airborne transmission. I personally don't believe the claim face masks are of no benefit. Airborne viruses are not naked, they hitch a ride on far larger droplets of moisture, with each possibly carrying quite a payload. If you touch the outside surface of a facemask when removing it, and don't wash or sanitize your hands immediately after, then yes, the facemask is next to useless, but if you do, I am sure they will do a good job in significantly reducing the chance of airborne infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Disease be with you.

And also with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

People been taken to the cleaners on Adverts.ie

1 surgical mask (supposedly) 10 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Maybe it's my OCD but I wish hand shaking would be banned full stop. I can't stand feeling forced to touch a stranger's sweaty palm in greeting. I don't know what illness they might have or whether they washed their hands after going to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Millions upon millions more will die from starvation and no clean water but sure look if the middle class world all 77,000 of us are at threat. NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT.

The virus will dissipate, the vast majority all 98% of infected will be fine and life will go on ae we know it. Is it important to be vigilant and hygienic,of course it is thats a no brainer but christ people stocking up for the apocalypse....give me a break

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

cnocbui wrote: »
    Washing your hands is the number one preventative measure, but it also spreads via airborne transmission. I personally don't believe the claim face masks are of no benefit. Airborne viruses are not naked, they hitch a ride on far larger droplets of moisture, with each possibly carrying quite a payload. If you touch the outside surface of a facemask when removing it, and don't wash or sanitize your hands immediately after, then yes, the facemask is next to useless, but if you do, I am sure they will do a good job in significantly reducing the chance of airborne infection.

Most have no idea what size filter they need. They don't know that once the filter gets wet its useless etc etc so for 90% of people getting a mask is a waste of time. Not to mention that misinformed people who think a mask will help them may forget about washing hands which actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I agree. I think that idea was being spread so that the masks could go to asia before more could be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Millions upon millions more will die from starvation and no clean water but sure look if the middle class world all 77,000 of us are at threat. NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT.

The virus will dissipate, the vast majority all 98% of infected will be fine and life will go on ae we know it. Is it important to be vigilant and hygienic,of course it is thats a no brainer but christ people stocking up for the apocalypse....give me a break

I'm not expecting an apocalypse, but one of my colleagues was in Asia and they might ask me to self quarantine for 14 days, so having some items in stock is convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Cogent analysis, thank you for taking the time to share.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's not the flu and it has a case fatality rate 7 times that of influenza. A possible death toll of 45,000,0000.

I see.

is that + or - 10?

Was the extra 0 at the end for effect? Or did you mean 450 million people?

Sigh, I need to ban myself from this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 29 February 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-29-February-2020.PNG?itok=TfEvaf7s

A slight dip in the number of daily cases being reported in Europe today.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Unearthly wrote: »

Now on top of this, 5 Serie A matches postponed this weekend according to Sky Sports.

Playing with no crowd is obviously seen as not an acceptable risk. Can't see this league being completed this season

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The virus will dissipate, the vast majority all 98% of infected will be fine and life will go on ae we know it.
    :rolleyes:
    Can I have a go on your rose-tinted crystal ball?

Ficheall wrote: »
    There is speculation that the virus damages the testicles. It is unconfirmed, and based on theoretical rather than empirical evidence, but I'm just wondering if it transpired that this was something that had a 1 in 5 chance of irreparably damaging your testicles if an infected person breathed on you, rather than merely hospitalising and perhaps killing you, whether people might take it more seriously.

Not theoretical, lesions showing in patients , lesions are damage which can cause infertility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

As I said. Today there will be more closed cases then open cases.

Governments will stop reporting numbers as this is what’s driving panic among citizens and investors at the moment.

The out of sight, out of mind stage is approaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You're doing it wrong, the whole point of posting here is to fill others with a sense of fear.
    Good post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Graces7 wrote: »
    This may sound crazy but why not wear disposable gloves when out and about eg on buses, in shops? Just the thin invisible ones? Avoid touching your face of course but would shield from door handles etc.

I am selling boxes of invisible gloves for €20 a pop including postage if anyone is interested.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement