Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You're doing it wrong, the whole point of posting here is to fill others with a sense of fear.
    Good post.

Fear and self loathing surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

tringle wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked but im 50 pages behind at the moment. How is self quarantine going to work with sick leave and certs for work?
    I was sent home from work this week sick. I have no sick leave left so decided to take the few days as annual leave. However got a phonecall from the employer saying as i was sent home sick in order to qualify for annual leave i needed a certificate of fitness from my gp stating i was fit for work. Daft, regardless i had to go to the gp (got a sick cert, dont know how that will work out when i go back). The HSE is telling us not to go to the gp, how will employers deal with certs and med 1 forms. Ta

This is something I thought about last night. A lot of companies have policies about being sick and requiring a sick cert after 2/3 days.

You will have to phone the GP and see if they give you a sick cert. The best thing for them would be to scan a cert in their office and email it to you and then you will forward it on to your employer. I can't think of any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Ficheall wrote: »
    There is speculation that the virus damages the testicles. It is unconfirmed, and based on theoretical rather than empirical evidence, but I'm just wondering if it transpired that this was something that had a 1 in 5 chance of irreparably damaging your testicles if an infected person breathed on you, rather than merely hospitalising and perhaps killing you, whether people might take it more seriously.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

really don't get the authorities not saying how this woman traveled to Belfast, I don't know how specific information would cause panic, vague info causes panic, unless they can't trace the bus passengers so don't want to admit that she was on a bus, if she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

People been taken to the cleaners on Adverts.ie

1 surgical mask (supposedly) 10 euros

I still have a few

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I am selling boxes of invisible gloves for €20 a pop including postage if anyone is interested.

20 a Box? People are panicking!! It's 20 a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

tromtipp wrote: »
    The relapsing thing, and the long incubation period, make me think the HSE or someone should be reminding young fit people not to exercise while they have an infection in their system. I've known four people to die from doing that, three runners, one footballer. Sometimes from heart problems, one from sudden massive sepsis. If you do get ill, rest, and take your time getting back to your exercise routine.

I've been wondering about that but can't find any information. I'm a not-quite-young fit person and have made a few plans for exercise if I have to isolate. I want to keep my strength and fitness up (partially due to a presumption that having good cardio-vascular health should offer a degree of protection against the virus) but I don't want to put my body under any stress if I do get ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I assume most don't care about the 98% that will be fine.
    It's being in the 2% is the problem.
    You can't be happy for the 98% if you're dead :)

The odds of winning the euromillions doesn't stop the amount of people doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe it's my OCD but I wish hand shaking would be banned full stop. I can't stand feeling forced to touch a stranger's sweaty palm in greeting. I don't know what illness they might have or whether they washed their hands after going to the toilet.

Exactly. I never participated. Head bowed. eyes closed as in prayer, hands folded. I tried just smiling and nodding but they still approached....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

blade1 wrote: »

The odds of winning the euromillions doesn't stop the amount of people doing it.

I imagine the virus has a lower fatility rate than 2 percent as most people seem to be unaffected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Runaways wrote: »
    Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.
    Gonna call again today and not hang up til I get to speak to someone.
    Be back with whatever happens.

So you've ruled out sepsis, seriously don't **** around with blood poisoning it will kill you at best you'll lose a limb. Your a perfect candidate for it considering your symptoms. I don't think people realise how many people it kills every year in Ireland roughly running at around 15,000 deaths a year here with a mortality rate of about 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Peatys wrote: »
    20 a Box? People are panicking!! It's 20 a pair.

There is one glove in each box

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Not theoretical, lesions showing in patients , lesions are damage which can cause infertility

Do we know yet if this affects pre-pubescent children? Or does the apparent fact that the virus is mild for children offer protection to young boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'm not expecting an apocalypse, but one of my colleagues was in Asia and they might ask me to self quarantine for 14 days, so having some items in stock is convenient.

So is Tesco online delivery that can be left at your front door for you. You'll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Not theoretical, lesions showing in patients , lesions are damage which can cause infertility
    Really? I didn't read the article, just an abstract, which prompted the thought. I'm surprised more isn't being made of that, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

So you've ruled out sepsis, seriously don't **** around with blood poisoning it will kill you at best you'll lose a limb. Your a perfect candidate for it considering your symptoms. I don't think people realise how many people it kills every year in Ireland roughly running at around 15,000 deaths a year here with a mortality rate of about 15%.

You are not buying this are you? I think it's complete attention seeking and lies.
    I'm sick but the hse won't ring me back. Over and over.

In fairness it's not on.

Latest update on what it's like in parts of South Korea, and a bit about 3 'unexplained' cases in the US west...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51685908

The video about how germs spread and how to wash hands correctly is great. It’s only a minute long so worth watching. Hope this embeds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p084zgch/51685908"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I imagine the virus has a lower fatility rate than 2 percent as most people seem to be unaffected.

The mortality figures from China for those infected with covid 19 who have other conditions…

13.2% for those with cardiovascular disease
    9.2% for diabetes
    8.4% for hypertension
    8.0% for chronic respiratory disease
    7.6% for cancer

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

should i decline handshakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

blade1 wrote: »

A lot of the 98 have to grit through quite an unpleasant illness for a few weeks. Something id rather avoid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

iguana wrote: »
    Do we know yet if this affects pre-pubescent children? Or does the apparent fact that the virus is mild for children offer protection to young boys?

This is what’s be reported

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
    COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
    DEATH RATE
    all cases
    80+ years old
    21.9%
    14.8%
    70-79 years old
    8.0%
    60-69 years old
    3.6%
    50-59 years old
    1.3%
    40-49 years old
    0.4%
    30-39 years old
    0.2%
    20-29 years old
    0.2%
    10-19 years old
    0.2%
    0-9 years old
    no fatalities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

branie2 wrote: »
    The sign of peace at mass has been suspended - good idea

If you're in close proximity to an infected person, how will not shaking hands stop this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The stats show that my age bracket (29) is 0.2%. I guess the 2% is for every age bracket combined?

**Not trying to downplay anything. I have elderly people that I'm concerned for. What I mean is for myself and most people I know have little to be worried about**

Well if you get it none of here will lose any sleep.

This is what’s be reported

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

I mean more in terms of non-lethal health risk, like the renal and testicular damage. It's probably not something we have any reliable data on at this stage but I'm wondering if any of the patients with renal damage or testicular lesions are children. Or if the apparent fact that children have a mild illness may protect them against other long-term damage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tromtipp wrote: »
    That Dr John Campbell Youtube from yesterday included a recap and update on research so far and had a few interesting points:

People who infect others without themselves seeming ill are usually (maybe always, they don't know yet) presymptomatic rather than asymptomatic.

The virus is stable, as is SARS, so people who have had it once will have acquired immunity (Dr C didn't say so, but that seems to increase the chance of a vaccine).

He wonders is the high death rate in Iran is caused by inappropriate treatment with steroids. He also noted that Iran did call off Friday prayers yesterday. Saudi has closed its pilgrimage sites.

He is sceptical of people getting re-infected - the condition is relapsing for some time after the intital infection which may be causing confusion.

That isn't exactly good news, but seems to have some crumbs of hope. The relapsing thing, and the long incubation period, make me think the HSE or someone should be reminding young fit people not to exercise while they have an infection in their system. I've known four people to die from doing that, three runners, one footballer. Sometimes from heart problems, one from sudden massive sepsis. If you do get ill, rest, and take your time getting back to your exercise routine.

Oh, and Dr John said the dog in Hong Kong wasn't contagious.

I had pneumonia last year which was misdiagnosed so I kept doing excercise which made it worse. What I’ve learned is that excercise is bad and can make you worse when you are unwell. Not rocket science I know but the same apppies here. Doctor john in one of his earlier videos said that rest is vital if you get the virus. Straight to bed and no strenuous activity. Rest your heart as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I see.

is that + or - 10?

Was the extra 0 at the end for effect? Or did you mean 450 million people?

Sigh, I need to ban myself from this thread again.

Getting smart over an obvious typo. Yeah why don't you - and while you are at it, you can go and unthank all of the snow photos of mine you liked, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

And those figures are from the WHO guy who went to Wuhan. https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25/new-data-from-china-buttress-fears-about-high-coronavirus-fatality-rate-who-expert-says/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Graces7 wrote: »
    Potaoes. flour eggs... whatever you would normally buy for 2 weeks

And pet food if you have one

and OTC meds eg paracetamol

And failing that a big pot to cook the pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You are not buying this are you? I think it's complete attention seeking and lies.
    I'm sick but the hse won't ring me back. Over and over.

In fairness it's not on.

Did you not see the massive gash on his leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

I see that to control infection spread we have been advised to "avoid shaking hands, hugging, and kissing".

That must be a relief to Tinder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

And failing that a big pot to cook the pet.

that's what got us into this mess! People eating cats and dogs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement