Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

Osborne wrote: »
    Did you not see the massive gash on his leg?

Post a new photo Runaways. Stick a little note saying hello to the boardsies so we know you’re genuine.

Don’t take it from the jacks though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tillyfilly wrote: »
    that's what got us into this mess! People eating cats and dogs

Thought it was eating bats?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And failing that a big pot to cook the pet.

A typical boardsie looking back on 2020 in years to come:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

cnocbui wrote: »
    Getting smart over an obvious typo. Yeah why don't you - and while you are at it, you can go and unthank all of the snow photos of mine you liked, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

And those figures are from the WHO guy who went to Wuhan. https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/25/new-data-from-china-buttress-fears-about-high-coronavirus-fatality-rate-who-expert-says/

That link is full of figures. None of them are 450m or 45m. What is the figure you intended to post? 45m or 450m?

I am surprised how I am the only person to question your 450,000,000 number. Actually I am not surprised.

And I'll unthank nothing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/to-hell-and-back-my-three-weeks-suffering-from-coronavirus

This is a good article. Apologies if it’s been posted already. Its the first account I’ve seen from someone who had it I think

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Osborne wrote: »
    Did you not see the massive gash on his leg?

The gash that wasn't there 2days ago. No I didn't see it.
    Where do you live runways guy. Il come up and visit. Il bring sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is what’s be reported

Age of Coronavirus Deaths
    COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentage shown below does NOT represent in any way the share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19....

I think most people are aware of the *death statistics for the Coronavirus.

However children can catch COVID-19, though some early statistics suggest they may be less likely to catch the virus than adults are. As of Wednesday (Feb. 26), Italy had diagnosed 400 cases of COVID-19, including five cases in children ages 4 to 19. A Chinese study from Hubei province found that of more than 44,000 cases of COVID-19, about 2.2% involved children under age 19.

However, it has been proposed that the number of diagnosed coronavirus cases in children may be an underestimate — in case studies from China, children seemed less likely to develop severe disease. Thus, it's possible that many children could be infected and passing the disease along, without showing many, or any, symptoms. 

According to Lancet an asymptomatic child (aged 10 years) in China was diagnosed with the virus exhibited damage to lung tissues with radiological detection of ground-glass lung opacities. 

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

First case of community infection in the U.K. Not surprising really and how we in the Republic of Ireland haven't had a confirmed case yet is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

For the benefit of anyone getting themselves worked up and scared reading this thread, it's worth taking a closer look at the sources and comparisons being used by those who are more frightened compared to those who are more calm.

Prof Luke O'Neill, professor of immunology at Trinity College spoke on the late late show last night urging people to be calm but take sensible precautions. He was scoffed at by many of the more concerned people on here. Meanwhile, Dr John Campbell, nurse trainer and youtube personality, has his word taken as gospel. Do we trust authority or don't we? What makes Dr Campbell more reliable than Prof O'Neill?

People making reassuring comparisons to the flu are mocked and told to be quiet, yet at the same time the spanish flu is being used by some as a model for the amount of damage that could be caused - is influenza a valid comparison or isn't it?

Figures coming out of China that look less concerning are dismissed as made up, yet unverified reports of things being much worse seem to be much more readily accepted. Do we trust China or do we not?

I'm even seeing it outside this thread to an extent, in that people I know are willing to discuss buying months worth of food in preparation for a worst case scenario, yet won't fake simple precautions like washing their hands regularly and avoiding touching their face.

I'm not saying everything will be grand and we should totally ignore this. I think it's a serious illness and worth monitoring closely. I have a history of asthma and elderly parents, and as such I'm being careful with hygiene and keeping an eye on updates. I'm simply saying don't get caught up in only looking at worst case scenarios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

should i decline handshakes?

Peace be with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

So you've ruled out sepsis, seriously don't **** around with blood poisoning it will kill you at best you'll lose a limb. Your a perfect candidate for it considering your symptoms. I don't think people realise how many people it kills every year in Ireland roughly running at around 15,000 deaths a year here with a mortality rate of about 15%.

Agree with above. Sepsis is a potential killer, and your immune system would be low having finished antibiotics whilst away. Get answers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Getting serious in Italy now. Italian's love their football and wouldn't have done this without knowledge of how bad this will get. Just as well they don't have Luke O'Neill advising them as they'd be in a much worse state and just plow on regardless

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1233719347270574081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Runaways wrote: »
    Right here. Thanks for the concern. They never called. I’m still in a heap. Last night was a genuine nightmare.
    Gonna call again today and not hang up til I get to speak to someone.
    Be back with whatever happens.

I hope you don't lose your leg, or die, or worse, but I did kind of laugh while reading your posts. I feel like it's such an irish response.

Yeah, I cut my leg. Have a flue. Throat closed up. Leaking pus. Can't eat. Yeah, bit of a nightmare, might die.

Might as well go to the doctor I guess :P

I remember being in Ireland and the fear of a a pain related ailment hitting at night where the doctors were closed

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Think of all the elderly who will be isolated by family staying away, to protect them :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    First case of community infection in the U.K. Not surprising really and how we in the Republic of Ireland haven't had a confirmed case yet is amazing.

Not really you are not going to find something you are not looking for.

HSE are useless fookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

F£ck this! Lombardy has been slapped on the wrist, expect numbers to start going ‘down’….

Italy, Mired in Politics Over Virus, Asks How Much Testing Is Too Much

“…the dispute centers around whether Lombardy had inflated the threat by testing too much. Much of that criticism has come from rival Italian officials at the national level, no doubt concerned about Italy’s blighted image ...

At its heart, the debate centers on testing.

The central government argues that other regions within Italy and other countries have respected global guidelines by focusing tests on people showing symptoms of the virus.

According to the Health Ministry, Lombardy has also carried out swab tests on people who have no symptoms themselves.

Experts at the WHO and Italy’s Health Ministry said in interviews that it was possible that Lombardy had created an inflated perception of the threat by including in case totals people who tested positive for the virus but who had not gotten sick. But many scientists say that attempting to track even mild cases of the virus is essential to containing its spread.

On Thursday Lombardy said it would now conform with national and international guidelines and test only people showing symptoms.

Other experts have raised concerns that carriers without symptoms could be spreading the virus, and the W.H.O. was under pressure to revise its guidelines …
    Meanwhile, Lombardy officials said they preferred to know who had the virus.
    “Either you hide problems under a carpet, or you lift the carpet and you clean the floor,” Attilio Fontana, the region’s president, said.”

Full Article below:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/world/europe/italy-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Do we trust authority or don't we?

no, we don't. no matter which country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Sobering stuff from the front line.

https://twitter.com/thesunilgarg/status/1233723465359708160

Just a cold bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

should i decline handshakes?

the French Health Minister stated yesterday that he recommends to avoid them.
    Source: https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1233464893891862528

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Beanybabog wrote: »
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/to-hell-and-back-my-three-weeks-suffering-from-coronavirus

This is a good article. Apologies if it’s been posted already. Its the first account I’ve seen from someone who had it I think

I wonder if more had been known about the virus on Jan 17th when he started to feel sick, and he had immediately just gone to bed and rested, would the virus have been less severe for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

F£ck this! Lombardy has been slapped on the wrist, expect numbers to start going ‘down’….

Italy, Mired in Politics Over Virus, Asks How Much Testing Is Too Much

“…the dispute centers around whether Lombardy had inflated the threat by testing too much. Much of that criticism has come from rival Italian officials at the national level, no doubt concerned about Italy’s blighted image ...

At its heart, the debate centers on testing.

The central government argues that other regions within Italy and other countries have respected global guidelines by focusing tests on people showing symptoms of the virus.

According to the Health Ministry, Lombardy has also carried out swab tests on people who have no symptoms themselves.

Experts at the WHO and Italy’s Health Ministry said in interviews that it was possible that Lombardy had created an inflated perception of the threat by including in case totals people who tested positive for the virus but who had not gotten sick. But many scientists say that attempting to track even mild cases of the virus is essential to containing its spread.

On Thursday Lombardy said it would now conform with national and international guidelines and test only people showing symptoms.

Other experts have raised concerns that carriers without symptoms could be spreading the virus, and the W.H.O. was under pressure to revise its guidelines …
    Meanwhile, Lombardy officials said they preferred to know who had the virus.
    “Either you hide problems under a carpet, or you lift the carpet and you clean the floor,” Attilio Fontana, the region’s president, said.”

Full Article below:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/world/europe/italy-coronavirus.html

Not surprising.

It was the same in China - constantly changing the criteria. The only practical effect is to not solve any problem but to try some image rescuing by masking the problem.

Not including people who have the virus but are not sick is really incredible because they could get very sick and/or they spread it regardless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The gash that wasn't there 2days ago. No I didn't see it.
    I saw it. Didn't look too bad to me. Not a doctor. :D I've had worse looking cuts and plastered or polticed them up, job done. To be fair I've never taken an antibiotic in my life so am either lucky or have a strong immune system, for bacteria anyway.
    Prof Luke O'Neill, professor of immunology at Trinity College spoke on the late late show last night urging people to be calm but take sensible precautions. He was scoffed at by many of the more concerned people on here. Meanwhile, Dr John Campbell, nurse trainer and youtube personality, has his word taken as gospel. Do we trust authority or don't we? What makes Dr Campbell more reliable than Prof O'Neill?
    +1000 Don't get me started on Campbell DJ. Seems to be the emerging goto populist choice for info. He's OK, but A) just as chock full of vague supposition as many out there and B) meandering as hell. Takes half a bloody hour to make his points when five minutes would suffice. On the latter score I find him hair itchingly irritating. Get to the bloody point man! Christ. Though he often doesn't have one, which many might miss as they nod off to sleep halfway through. If you want to save 30 minutes of your life, freeze frame on his written notes, read and close window.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder if more had been known about the virus on Jan 17th when he started to feel sick, and he had immediately just gone to bed and rested, would the virus have been less severe for him?

What I found interesting was the grandmother wasn’t tested but was sick, and if she had it she seemed to bounce back better. Also it appears in the household either the Dad was the only one who didn’t get it, or showed no symptoms if he did.
    Also it’s only one story but gives some insight into the level of testing- a family of five with 2 confirmed cases, the other three weren’t tested even though two had symptoms. So while that’s 2 confirmed cases, it could have been 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Sobering stuff from the front line.

https://twitter.com/thesunilgarg/status/1233723465359708160

Just a cold bro.

Going by the death statistics if you are under 80 will will probably be ok

155,000 people die every day. The circle of life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

People making reassuring comparisons to the flu are mocked and told to be quiet, yet at the same time the spanish flu is being used by some as a model for the amount of damage that could be caused - is influenza a valid comparison or isn't it?

Comparisons with the regular influenza, for which we have effective vaccines and antiviral drugs, are indeed spurious... the mortality rate is but a fraction of what Covid 19 is causing.

The 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic in Ireland had a mortality rate of 2.6%... not that far from some of the quoted figures for the present pandemic. It was also a "new" virus, which had made the species jump from animals, to which the population had no immunity and it was droplet spread.

Much is unknown about the present virus as it has only been studied for about 2 months but IMHO the comparison with Spanish flu may be valid. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Tests statistics:
    South Korea: 66,652
    Italy: 9,462
    UK: 7,132
    France: 762
    United States: 445
    Austria: 321
    Germany ?
    Ireland ?
    Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000 Don't get me started on Campbell DJ. Seems to be the emerging goto populist choice for info. He's OK, but A) just as chock full of vague supposition as many out there and B) meandering as hell. Takes half a bloody hour to make his points when five minutes would suffice. On the latter score I find him hair itchingly irritating. Get to the bloody point man! Christ. Though he often doesn't have one, which many might miss as they nod off to sleep halfway through. If you want to save 30 minutes of your life, freeze frame on his written notes, read and close window.

Not to sound too CT, but he is a techer in Asia and africa and randomly is talking about the coronavirus and randomly supports the SCMP .

Curious about one of your older posts where the coronavirus test can actually mix up with the flue?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not really you are not going to find something you are not looking for.

HSE are useless fookers.

Well the HSE has issues but the staff aren't useless fookers as you say. I really really wish people having a go at the HSE would be specific as to just what part they are on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wibbs wrote: »
    I saw it. Didn't look too bad to me. Not a doctor. :D I've had worse looking cuts and plastered or polticed them up, job done. To be fair I've never taken an antibiotic in my life so am either lucky or have a strong immune system, for bacteria anyway.

To be fair to him, his earlier stuff was better and he’s called a lot of what’s happened. I remember him calling the cruise ship a dangerous experiment from the start.

Easy for him to do of course cause he wasn’t in authority and there would be no consequences for what he said. But he’s shown to be a reliable and accurate source for information and communicates in a way that a lot of people like. He does waffle but eventually his points are clear.

In fairness this doesn’t make him a completely accurate source but he’s more reliable then most , his knowledge does come from a better understanding of medicine. I think In general he’s a decent watch but it can be a hard slog and quite depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement