Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Osborne wrote: »
    Did you not see the massive gash on his leg?

Wish I was messin.
    DM might be onto something. It was really bad at the time. Gonna just call the d doc I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

DIY hand gel... looks straighforward to make. All ingredients easily got.

Is Vodka greater than 70% alcohol content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the HSE has issues but the staff aren't useless fookers as you say. I really really wish people having a go at the HSE would be specific as to just what part they are on about.

That does not really help our situation now does it?
    The end result is the same regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I hear about the sign of peace (handshaking) in mass being discouraged and that holy water fonts are being drained but nothing about receiving communion. Havent been to mass in years but do many people still have the priest/lay person helper place the host in their mouth as opposed to placing it down on a tray and recipient picks it up themselves? Either way I never thought it was particularly hygienic in the first place but I hope common sense will prevail in these circumstances !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Drumpot wrote: »
    To be fair to him, his earlier stuff was better and he’s called a lot of what’s happened. I remember him calling the cruise ship a dangerous experiment from the start.

Easy for him to do of course cause he wasn’t in authority and there would be no consequences for what he said. But he’s shown to be a reliable and accurate source for information and communicates in a way that a lot of people like. He does waffle but eventually his points are clear.

In fairness this doesn’t make him a completely accurate source but he’s more reliable then most , his knowledge does come from a better understanding of medicine. I think In general he’s a decent watch but it can be a hard slog and quite depressing.

I agree he's far from the worst source people could be going to, I just find it curious that people who are unwilling to trust medical experts here on Ireland seem to have a lot of faith in him. He mostly just works with the numbers available, which is fine, but he has a tendency to drop in ominous warnings without anything to really back them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Comparisons with the regular influenza, for which we have effective vaccines and antiviral drugs, are indeed spurious... the mortality rate is but a fraction of what Covid 19 is causing.

The 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic in Ireland had a mortality rate of 2.6%... not that far from some of the quoted figures for the present pandemic. It was also a "new" virus, which had made the species jump from animals, to which the population had no immunity and it was droplet spread.

Much is unknown about the present virus as it has only been studied for about 2 months but IMHO the comparison with Spanish flu may be valid. Only time will tell.

A third of the world's population was infected with the Spanish Flu - 500 million people. The mortality rate worldwide was 10%. It should be understood in the context of poor hygiene and no vaccines or antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And failing that a big pot to cook the pet.

Then add cat scratch fever to your woes! A killer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's not the flu and it has a case fatality rate 7 times that of influenza. A possible death toll of 45,000,0000.

Cnocbui, I am not letting this pass.

Did you mean 45,000,000 or 450,000,000?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The gash that wasn't there 2days ago. No I didn't see it.
    Where do you live runways guy. Il come up and visit. Il bring sweets

Screenshots. Check the date. No reason to bull but thanks I got supplies just now from my pal.

**they won’t attach too big. I can email em if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Not surprising.

It was the same in China - constantly changing the criteria. The only practical effect is to not solve any problem but to try some image rescuing by masking the problem.

Not including people who have the virus but are not sick is really incredible because they could get very sick and/or they spread it regardless.

I thought that the reason the criteria for testing changes is because at the start of the outbreak it seems like countries are only learning about the virus. According to Dr Bruce Aylward ( https://youtu.be/XF6AZv8P3i4 ) , part of the reason China changed its criteria for diagnosing and recording was because it was inadequate and they found (I think he said) CT scans more reliable.

I haven’t a clue what way Ireland tests, somebody has mentioned it I am sure but the explanation means nothing to my layman ears. All I gather is that there are various reports that different counties are testing different ways and it’s not clear how accurate these tests are because at different stages in individuals (eg temperature ) certain things might not show until later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

MadYaker wrote: »
    That’s not the advice from the HSE at all, have you even read their website?

No, that's just what they're actually doing and telling people...

Is Vodka greater than 70% alcohol content?

37.5 to 40% it's on the bottle.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

otnomart wrote: »
    Tests statistics:
    South Korea: 66,652
    Italy: 9,462
    UK: 7,132
    France: 762
    United States: 445
    Austria: 321
    Germany ?
    Ireland ?
    Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

Here are the statistics with the positive.

dan786 wrote: »

I’m going through Qatar on way to Namibia next Friday :(

Here are the statistics with the positive.

Meanwhile in Ireland MV5BMmI0ZDUzYTktZjY0Yi00Mjc3LWFjNTUtMTk3ZjZhZGU4ZDMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk5OTkyNDE@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I’m going through Qatar on way to Namibia next Friday :(

I'd rather be going through Qatar than Dublin airport tbh. Dublin airport is a filthy disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'd rather be going through Qatar than Dublin airport tbh. Dublin airport is a filthy disgrace.

Really?

Which parts?

Always felt it was definitely one of the cleanest I've been in, on par with Istanbuls new terminal.

I agree he's far from the worst source people could be going to, I just find it curious that people who are unwilling to trust medical experts here on Ireland seem to have a lot of faith in him. He mostly just works with the numbers available, which is fine, but he has a tendency to drop in ominous warnings without anything to really back them up.

Agreed. I would suggest that nobody takes all their information from a YouTuber. I use multiple sources and revert back to the authorities to verify.

It’s actually very easy to let the Dr John and other sources make you feel quite scared and low. I think he’s trying to help but it can be Over kill. I understand the authority’s have a really tough balancing act trying to get people to prepare without causing panic.

Runaways wrote: »
    Screenshots. Check the date. No reason to bull but thanks I got supplies just now from my pal.

Runaways just like to ask do you find my HSE are useless fookers post offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes, in castle pollard, student returning from skiing trip reported unwell and is being tested.
    https://www.northernsound.ie/north-confirms-first-coronavirus-case-castlepollard-teen-tested/

Any word on this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That link is full of figures. None of them are 450m or 45m. What is the figure you intended to post? 45m or 450m?

I am surprised how I am the only person to question your 450,000,000 number. Actually I am not surprised.

And I'll unthank nothing :P

The number intended was 45,000,000 I made a typo, which I am sure you F'n know.

That figure wasn't mentioned in the article I linked but it was put forward by Professor Gabriel Leung in an interview while on his way to a WHO meeting. If you think he's a deranged loon with fringe credibility, you can watch his lecture on Covid-19 epidemiology here: https://panopto.lshtm.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=83ba0783-b1ce-4053-aaa5-ab6600da76d8

Good news for anybody interested.

My client/friend and his wife who cancelled meeting because he was in Italy have confirmed they are fine and it was just a false alarm.

I guess there is going to be a lot of them over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Drumpot wrote: »
    Good news for anybody interested.

My client/friend and his wife who cancelled meeting because he was in Italy have confirmed they are fine and it was just a false alarm.

I guess there is going to be a lot of them over the coming weeks.

I'd rather false alarm than eejits thinking they're grand and infecting others!

Runaways just like to ask do you find my HSE are useless fookers post offensive?

No? The organization absolutely is but the front line staff are Brillo and do their best in my experience. They go Above and beyond what’s expected

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

BanditLuke wrote: »

Luke do you think anything in the country is good ? You are one of the most negative posters I’ve seen recently. Complete negativity to everything. That much negativity is bad for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

For the benefit of anyone getting themselves worked up and scared reading this thread, it's worth taking a closer look at the sources and comparisons being used by those who are more frightened compared to those who are more calm.

Prof Luke O'Neill, professor of immunology at Trinity College spoke on the late late show last night urging people to be calm but take sensible precautions. He was scoffed at by many of the more concerned people on here. Meanwhile, Dr John Campbell, nurse trainer and youtube personality, has his word taken as gospel. Do we trust authority or don't we? What makes Dr Campbell more reliable than Prof O'Neill?

People making reassuring comparisons to the flu are mocked and told to be quiet, yet at the same time the spanish flu is being used by some as a model for the amount of damage that could be caused - is influenza a valid comparison or isn't it?

Figures coming out of China that look less concerning are dismissed as made up, yet unverified reports of things being much worse seem to be much more readily accepted. Do we trust China or do we not?

I'm even seeing it outside this thread to an extent, in that people I know are willing to discuss buying months worth of food in preparation for a worst case scenario, yet won't fake simple precautions like washing their hands regularly and avoiding touching their face.

I'm not saying everything will be grand and we should totally ignore this. I think it's a serious illness and worth monitoring closely. I have a history of asthma and elderly parents, and as such I'm being careful with hygiene and keeping an eye on updates. I'm simply saying don't get caught up in only looking at worst case scenarios.

Great and reassuring post, without being critical to those who are worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

A third of the world's population was infected with the Spanish Flu - 500 million people. The mortality rate worldwide was 10%. It should be understood in the context of poor hygiene and no vaccines or antibiotics.

My 1918/19 figures of 2.6% relate to Ireland which indeed made it one of the less lethal places which were affected the Spanish flu. About 20% of the population here were infected.

We still have "no vaccines or antibiotics" or even antivirals for the present epidemic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The number intended was 45,000,000 I made a typo, which I am sure you F'n know.

That figure wasn't mentioned in the article I linked but it was put forward by Professor Gabriel Leung in an interview while on his way to a WHO meeting. If you think he's a deranged loon with fringe credibility, you can watch his lecture on Covid-19 epidemiology here: https://panopto.lshtm.ac.uk/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=83ba0783-b1ce-4053-aaa5-ab6600da76d8

Thanks for owning it and for providing another link.

45 million deaths. Right, I'll leave that there for now.

• Advertisement

Runaways wrote: »
    No? The organization absolutely is but the front line staff are Brillo and do their best in my experience. They go Above and beyond what’s expected

Yes I agree but that is a bit like saying those keeping the engine running on the Titanic are doing a great job.

It is the sods on the bridge of the ship that aimed for the iceberg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement