Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Thread is moving quickly here. Did I see a post about a school group recently returned from Northern Italy? Sky saying a school in Cheshire closed after similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

tara73 wrote: »
    source? or are you one of this clowns who thinks it's funny/ to amuse yourself.. purposely spreading self made fake news? pathetic.

It's not fake news. Austria and Croatia on the list here. Likely imports from Italy given Austria borders Italy, Croatia is a short hop.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

source? or are you one of this clowns who thinks it's funny/ to amuse yourself.. purposely spreading self made fake news? pathetic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/25/coronavirus-live-updates-outbreak-latest-news-italy-italia-deaths-symptoms-china-stocks-wall-street-dow-jones-economy-falls

Worth keeping an eye on the various live pages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I had a quick google and his post checks out: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/feb/25/coronavirus-live-updates-outbreak-latest-news-italy-italia-deaths-symptoms-china-stocks-wall-street-dow-jones-economy-falls?page=with:block-5e550afd8f086a28115b2205#block-5e550afd8f086a28115b2205

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Comix wrote: »
    Ok they are "Italian" but ethnic Chinese, you happy now?

Source for this please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

He seemed very reliable a couple of weeks ago but he's now said a couple of things recently that would throw his reliability into question for me.

The fact he calls himself Dr John when talking about health issues despite not being a medical doctor is a bit disingenuous as well IMO. I understand that as a PhD holder he's entitled to call himself that but surely he's aware of the fact people are going to misinterpret his qualification given the context?

Edit: to avoid any confusion, I am also, despite my username on here, not a medical doctor

He's been consistent and accurate from day one in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

BanditLuke wrote: »
    And still today flights arriving from Milan and other parts of the world with zero checks.

We would need to wake up fast - or is it a case of it's already too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,551 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He seemed very reliable a couple of weeks ago but he's now said a couple of things recently that would throw his reliability into question for me.

The fact he calls himself Dr John when talking about health issues despite not being a medical doctor is a bit disingenuous as well IMO. I understand that as a PhD holder he's entitled to call himself that but surely he's aware of the fact people are going to misinterpret his qualification given the context?

Edit: to avoid any confusion, I am also, despite my username on here, not a medical doctor
    Never heard of this guy what is his PHD in then?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

No need to panic yet!
    Simple rundown is that it infects Ace-2 receptors in lungs, the further East you are from the more of these you have (China), the further West you are from the less you have(Ireland).
    Off all the dead so far in Italy they have only made public the ID of one victim, a 80+year old Italian man with already bad health.
    The question you should be asking is who are the other 6 victims?
    I can tell you now they were Chinese, so unless it mutates if you are not Asian , no need to panic.

One early study of 8 people including showed a chance difference in Ace-2 expression in 1 (yes, n = 1) Asian male subject (link). Later studies on larger numbers have shown that there really is no difference (here's one).

Ace2 has been seen in mouse studies to have a protective effect against lung injury and might be up-regulated in response to smoking and general bad air pollution. It's notable that significantly more men than women progressed to severe disease in the current Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, given that men there are much more likely to smoke.

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    We would need to wake up fast - or is it a case of it's already too late?

In fairness it's not just us, every western government is putting their economy before the health of the country. I'm hearing a lot of "it's only old people who are effected" type crap which is appalling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Comix wrote:
    No need to panic yet! Simple rundown is that it infects Ace-2 receptors in lungs, the further East you are from the more of these you have (China), the further West you are from the less you have(Ireland). Off all the dead so far in Italy they have only made public the ID of one victim, a 80+year old Italian man with already bad health. The question you should be asking is who are the other 6 victims? I can tell you now they were Chinese, so unless it mutates if you are not Asian , no need to panic. Your own eyes will show you Western government don't seem to be taking it as serious as they should if it was going to be as bad in the west as in Asia.

Plenty of news websites published details they were italian nationals check the guardian or bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

An Italian doctor has tested positive for the virus in Tenerife.

It's probably already in this country now and we don't even know it.
    Containment hasn't worked.

We haven’t really tried containment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Which is why iv'e been saying for weeks now we will have to see the same level of enforcement/quarantine here in the Western nations or else we are going to see untold numbers of dead and infected but that's not going to happen as the number crunchers have decided that level of action will make the 2008 economic crash seem like a tea party.

The Chinese made/are making a mammoth effort to stop spread to Bejing etc...and it seems to be working. We won't see that here.

And still today flights arriving from Milan and other parts of the world with zero checks.

It was just weird hearing the WHO actually confirming the obvious of how wrong and irresponsible they were for encouraging travel in and out of China.

In fairness it's not just us, every western government is putting their economy before the health of the country. I'm hearing a lot of "it's only old people who are effected" type crap which is appalling also.

Yeah mad to think that the conspiracy people are on the other side of this. I think the conspiracy here is this is way worse than "they" are letting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We haven’t really tried containment tbh.

Exactly, otherwise he wouldn't be living it up in Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I do. but it's also worth and no harm posting the link if you're already on that page and posting the news here. too much muppets around here and things moving so quickly some pages show up quicker/slower in different parts of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Ok they are "Italian" but ethnic Chinese, you happy now?

No, learn some manners and provide your source please
    the article below doesn't mention anything about the victims being of Chinese ethnicity. This is the Italian press, if there is no mention of it, it means they were italian
    https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/24/news/coronavirus_chi_sono_le_vittime-249471504/

And I think somebody who holds a PhD in Nursing does indeed hold a medical qualification. We are not so used to it in Ireland but elsewhere clinics are led, diagnoses and treatments are made by qualified Nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He was, until he started reporting on hearsay from Iran and being disingenuous with the italian figures. It's starting to come across like he's playing up to his audience more than dealing in hard facts now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I do. but it's also worth and no harm posting the link if you're already on that page and posting the news here. too much muppets around here and things moving so quickly some pages show up quicker/slower in different parts of the world...

That's a great apology for calling people pathetic clowns for posting news you hadn't personally seen :pac:

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah mad to think that the conspiracy people are on the other side of this. I think the conspiracy here is this is way worse than "they" are letting on.

Personally I don't see any conspiracy. All I see is the West like a stranded deer in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is it true that the virus only kills old people and vegans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A HSE worker.
    You can believe it or not, the truth will out in the end and you will see i am correct about this

that's your source... right
    I actually read the article my self, it does say they are Italians, but hey... the journalists probably forgot to check facts with your HSE friend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

IT IS ALL A SCAM. there's no such thing as coronavirus

If I had the power, I'd make you go clean the kitchens and crew areas on the Diamond Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Thread is moving quickly here. Did I see a post about a school group recently returned from Northern Italy? Sky saying a school in Cheshire closed after similar.

I know of one school group in Waterford that returned over the weekend from Northern Italy after a transition year skiing trip over mid term. I'm sure there were others. And Mid-term is a popular time for families to go either skiing in Italy or to Tenerife for some winter sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

A HSE worker.
    You can believe it or not, the truth will out in the end and you will see i am correct about this

The paper I cited concludes the opposite:

'Based on the available data, we conclude that Asians do not express ACE2 at a
    higher level and do not bear unique genetic polymorphisms in ACE2.'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

KWAG2019 wrote: »

Yeh a South Dublin secondary school, 100 5th year pupils returned from a week long holiday a day before the lockdown, were in Milan, Verona and at the Austrian border where a case was confirmed today. They recieved a text from the school saying to look out for symptoms but thats it. More than likely they are all free of it but the lack of consideration from authorities in Ireland regarding this issue is a bit worrying, seems no measures will be taken until an outbreak occurs here. And as we can see in China, Korea, Italy, Iran, by then it is too late

He was, until he started reporting on hearsay from Iran and being disingenuous with the italian figures. It's starting to come across like he's playing up to his audience more than dealing in hard facts now.

The Iranian deputy minister of health has it, i think he's accurate on the Iranian estimate

• Advertisement

Is it true that the virus only kills old people and vegans?

No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement