Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's a great apology for calling people pathetic clowns for posting news you hadn't personally seen :pac:

Could have literally done a google search quicker than the time it took to abuse the other poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The gap between number of infections and deaths in Iran seems to be widening which is somewhat welcoming if its lining up with elsewhere, tomorrow will really tell.

Quote: Comix
    No need to panic yet! Simple rundown is that it infects Ace-2 receptors in lungs, the further East you are from the more of these you have (China), the further West you are from the less you have(Ireland). Off all the dead so far in Italy they have only made public the ID of one victim, a 80+year old Italian man with already bad health. The question you should be asking is who are the other 6 victims? I can tell you now they were Chinese, so unless it mutates if you are not Asian , no need to panic. Your own eyes will show you Western government don't seem to be taking it as serious as they should if it was going to be as bad in the west as in Asia.

Genuinely can we have a sticky explaining why this is absolute nonsense based on one dodgy 8 person study. Sick of it coming up time and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

touts wrote: »
    I know of one school group in Waterford that returned over the weekend from Northern Italy after a transition year skiing trip over mid term. I'm sure there were others. And Mid-term is a popular time for families to go either skiing in Italy or to Tenerife for some winter sun.

Yep, lots of TY students in Austria and South Tyrol last week but no relevant advice from the HSE to the schools yet. A completely different approach in the UK. From the Guardian:
    Schools across the UK are sending pupils home as they struggle to comply with the latest official advice on Covid-19 for students and staff who spent last week’s half-term holiday in northern Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Comix wrote: »
    Look at the news, if it was going to be as bad in the West as in Asia, would the reaction be so underwhelming from the governments?
    Remember the English flown back 2 week ago?
    Remember the bus transfers to the quarantine?
    Remember the White bus drivers with ZERO PPE?

The further East you are from the higher ACE-2 receptors you have, the further West the less, hence the lack of response from the powers that be in the West.
    The West will get the flu, be sick and recover, Asians will be touch and go

you should look at the numbers instead but we are banned from providing facts here, so... maybe yes it only kills Asians, vegans and maybe transgender people, that's what my source told me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Look at the news, if it was going to be as bad in the West as in Asia, would the reaction be so underwhelming from the governments?
    Remember the English flown back 2 week ago?
    Remember the bus transfers to the quarantine?
    Remember the White bus drivers with ZERO PPE?

The further East you are from the higher ACE-2 receptors you have, the further West the less, hence the lack of response from the powers that be in the West.
    The West will get the flu, be sick and recover, Asians will be touch and go

I wouldn’t call Italy’s response underwhelming...nor would I call them Asians..

Italian nationals from a Chinese ethnic background, is that hard to understand?

Italians with Italian background, plenty of reports about it, case close
    no more replies on this please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

OK , dont believe it, they are full blooded Italians who can trace their blood line back to the time of Nero, none of them are ethnic Chinese Italians!

where are the mods?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pc7 wrote: »
    Is that the President he is beside? Also their government in that room?

Its worse than that Jim - looks like the whole Iranian government may have been exposed ...:eek:

The Iranian parliament held a session behind closed doors today which was also attended by health minister Saeed Namaki.

Prior to the start of the session, the body temperature of MPs was checked as a precaution, and three MPs – including Amirabadi Farhani – were advised not to attend the session, ISNA quoted an unnamed MP as saying.

Despite that, all three MPs attended the session, the unnamed MP told ISNA.

Amirabadi Farhani was told that he needs to be quarantined, but he declined and went home, the MP added. A member of the parliament staff then disinfected his seat, according to ISNA.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/24/Iranian-MP-50-dead-from-coronavirus-in-Qom-Health-Minister-to-blame-ILNA.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

gozunda wrote: »
    Its worse than that Jim - looks like the whole Iranian government may have been exposed ...:eek:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/24/Iranian-MP-50-dead-from-coronavirus-in-Qom-Health-Minister-to-blame-ILNA.html

CNN blaming Trump in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fuccccccccking hell.

Good thing they had an election recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I've posted this over in travel already, but I am supposed to go to Costa Adeje in Tenerife on Thursday. I've been following this thread for weeks and am now stressing.

In desperate want of a holiday but I'm not sure it's worth going now.

We are going to hold tight and see how things develop today and tomorrow. If there are more cases in Tenerife, we will cancel. It's a bad blow as it's our first trip away together in a year and a half and we are unlikely to get anything back on the travel insurance if we don't go.

I'm not even that concerned about catching the virus over there, my fear is being put in lockdown/quarantine and not being able to get home. I have a vulnerable person to care for next week and I have to be back and obviously can't chance being infected.

If you are under 50 and reasonably healthy, just go.

Nice to have some good news for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

look at the date published
    PC Damage control
    Time will reveal the truth?
    Why is it not running wild in Africa?

The great thing about science is that it doesn't rely on rumour and speculation.

The paper used a large public data set that anyone can download, and did a pretty basic analysis.

It concluded that there is essentially no variation in ACE2 between ethnic groups represented in the dataset.

The early rumours began because of a tiny study with a chance finding. That is now seen to be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Children and teachers sent home from NI schools after Italy trips

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/coronavirus-children-teachers-sent-home-17810969

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Louche Lad wrote: »

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/coronavirus-children-teachers-sent-home-17810969

That is exactly where Muckross Park College also had their recent ski trip. Exact same dates as well funnily enough. Must have been some tourism package marketed to Irish schools for that week or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Supposed to be going skiing next Friday in Northern Italy with the wife and two kids.
    Flying in to Bergamo.
    What's people's opinions? Go? Don't go?

Surely they shouldn't have went to school this morning, bad parenting. Anyway better late than never.

Bot1 wrote: »
    Supposed to be going skiing next Friday in Northern Italy with the wife and two kids.
    Flying in to Bergamo.

I don't want to sound smart but, why asking these questions?
    There is outbreak in Italy, and potentially in the rest of Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Flying in to Bergamo.

If you have to ask, you already know the answer...

Personally, it seems to be the case that Kids are unaffected by it, but you could end up quarantined.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I wouldn’t call Italy’s response underwhelming..

Some here would have had Ireland on total lockdown for weeks, Sheer panic
    Italy did right at the right time, and anything else would have been unworkable , As it would here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Flying in to Bergamo.

Don’t go. Whatever about risk of infection and age group health issues the risk of a lock down is the straw that would break the camels back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Dust masks used by construction workers won't protect you from anything, apart from breathing in dust from working on a building site.

They're not just dust masks, they're for particles 0.3 microns and up.

I know the virus itself is smaller but they will protect against fluid droplets containing the virus.

If you find a mask that stops the virus of roughly 0.2 microns, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

If right was right should all the people that those kids have been in contact with since they came home self isolate, and what about the people who have been in contact with the people who have been in contact with the kids?

Flying in to Bergamo.

If you have to ask you already know the answer.

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's a great apology for calling people pathetic clowns for posting news you hadn't personally seen :pac:

In fairness, her reaction was pretty justified given the trolling by that self-satisfied ratbag, Ads By Google.

cnocbui wrote: »
    In fairness, her reaction was pretty justified given the trolling by that self-satisfied ratbag, Ads By Google.

Trolling has become an issue, i'll give you that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you are under 50 and reasonably healthy, just go.

I am, but like I said I'm responsible for a person who would be considered high risk for a few days afterwards. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'll see how things unfold in the next 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Flying in to Bergamo.

Why would you be looking for advice from non-medically qualified randomers on an internet forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement