Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bot1 wrote: »
    Supposed to be going skiing next Friday in Northern Italy with the wife and two kids.
    Flying in to Bergamo.
    What's people's opinions? Go? Don't go?

Go, use hand sanitizer a lot and maybe self isolate for a while when you get back. The only people at serious risk from this are the elderly and immuno-suppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

A cure for the WuFlu might already exist in the US. But our massive bureaucracy and huge amounts of money needed for testing because of rampant litigation woes might just cause it to sit idle in some Houston lab for a very long time.

https://hotair.com/archives/karen-townsend/2020/02/24/vaccine-stored-houston-may-work-coronavirus-awaits-testing/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Supposed to be going skiing next Friday in Northern Italy with the wife and two kids.
    Flying in to Bergamo.
    What's people's opinions? Go? Don't go?

A few of these and you'll be grand https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zorb-Ball-Zorbing-PVC-Adults/dp/B00SG1Y6R8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The hotel in Tenerife is being surrounded by police and nobody is allowed leave. Diamond Princess 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

cnocbui wrote: »
    Go, use hand sanitizer a lot and maybe self isolate for a while when you get back. The only people at serious risk from this are the elderly and immuno-suppressed.

What's "a while" though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They're not just dust masks, they're for particles 0.3 microns and up.

I know the virus itself is smaller but they will protect against fluid droplets containing the virus.

If you find a mask that stops the virus of roughly 0.2 microns, let me know.

The basic nuisance dust mask is of no use.
    You need at least ffp2 mask (equivalent to US standard N95) or better still a ffp3 for protection. FYI ffp3 masks were recommended by WHO for protection against Ebola as part of a PPE package.

***Most importantly, the mask must be right size and well fitted and forms a seal around mouth area, ie you are not breathing through the gap at the edges.

https://www.dustmasksdirect.co.uk/different-types-of-dust-masks-29-w.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

BanditLuke wrote: »
    CNN blaming Trump in

New Iran is best Iran!

Fear not Coronavirus, Iran ‘endures hardships to make enemy regretful’: Rouhani...

“We will, God willing, get past this virus,” said Rouhani.

“Influenza B virus had 16,000 causalities in America, while it had just over 100 casualties in Iran,” he said. “Coronavirus spreads more quickly but it is not tougher than influenza.”

He called on Iranians to follow the health ministry’s instructions and added that they should not be afraid of coronavirus.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/25/Fear-not-Coronavirus-Iran-endures-hardships-to-make-the-enemy-regretful-Rouhani.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

notobtuse wrote: »
    A cure for the WuFlu might already exist in the US. But our massive bureaucracy and huge amounts of money needed for testing because of rampant litigation woes might just cause it to sit idle in some Houston lab for a very long time.

https://hotair.com/archives/karen-townsend/2020/02/24/vaccine-stored-houston-may-work-coronavirus-awaits-testing/

No mention of a cure in that article.

Isolate for a while :rolleyes: Jesus why are people being encouraged to take these risks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Why would you be looking for advice from non-medically qualified randomers on an internet forum?

Not looking for advice.

I asked for opinions on whether I should go or not.

You do realise there are people at this very moment travelling to Northern Italy and arriving from Northern Italy, it's not clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

DFA need to update their website so people can make proper, informed decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is it true that the virus only kills old people and vegans?

Old people and virgins I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

tuxy wrote: »
    No mention of a cure in that article.
    You're correct. I should have said 'vaccine.'

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not looking for advice.

You do realise there are people at this very moment travelling to Northern Italy and arriving from Northern Italy, it's not clear cut.

Its incredibly clear cut its just our politicians are unwilling to make the right decisions and stop these flights. The number of infected in Italy mean its been there for at least 1-2 weeks prior to detection last weekend which means its not possible to contain it as its already beyond the current quarantine. I wouldnt go if I were you.

However i also already believe the virus is here and its too late to stop the spread anyway so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not looking for advice.

Even if you don't get sick there's a very real chance that:
    (a) You can't get back home on schedule as flights are cancelled
    (b) If you get back home you won't be able to go to work for 2 weeks or children attend school

So factor those into your decision.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Even if you don't get sick there's a very real chance that:
    (a) You can't get back home on schedule as flights are cancelled
    (b) If you get back home you won't be able to go to work for 2 weeks or children attend school

So factor those into your decision.

Good points.

Those are the kind of opinions I was looking for.

Not looking for advice.

Okay let's say for a minute you go and the outbreak get's worse and your hotel is suspected of a case or two and nobody is allowed leave for 2 weeks. That's not that far fetched a scenario. Saying that by the time you leave we most likely will have multiple cases here but it's going to be easier to ride this out at home in your house/apartment than some hotel in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Not looking for advice.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has a limited no-travel advisory, with the proviso that their list of places to not travel to is expanding rapidly in line with the outbreak. Given it has jumped into neighboring countries like Austria and Croatia, let alone neighboring towns, I wouldn't be going.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/
    There has been an increase in the number of confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Italy. As a result of this, the Italian government has placed travel restrictions on the towns of Codogno, Castiglione d’Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Fombio, Maleo, Somaglia, Bertonico, Terranova dei Passerini, Castelgerundo and San Fiorano). For the moment, therefore, we are advising citizens not to travel to these towns.

You are advised to monitor developments regularly. Further information (including in english) is available at www.salute.gov.it/nuovocoronavirus.

The regions of Lombardy, Veneto, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Piemonte and Emilia Romagna have put certain restrictions in place, including in relation to events, and the temporary closure of educational and cultural institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fritzelly wrote: »

The first of many I would say. Theres literally a thousand people who left that boat after just one negative test

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Isolate for a while :rolleyes: Jesus why are people being encouraged to take these risks?

Personally I think it's now a pandemic, so no longer stoppable. Most people who get it are entirely asymptomatic or barely have a sniffle. Out of the hundred thousand plus people infected, the reported deaths for people under 40 is in the single digits, of which I only know 2, and they were Chinese doctors who were overworked to the max in Wuhan. The vast majority of deaths and serious cases, as far as i am aware, is among the elderly who also have underlying health problems. They probably stand a greater risk of a skiing injury than any adverse effects from the virus.

If I didn't think the cat was already out of the bag, I'd probably say don't go, as a precaution, but they might as well now.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-singapore-discharged-covid-19-patients-12469664

Singapore seems to be on top of the out break. 2 new cases in the last 3 days and 5 patients discharged today.

"This brings the total number of fully recovered cases to 58. Of the 33 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving. Seven are in critical condition in the intensive care unit."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

fritzelly wrote: »

Doesn't really say a whole lot without knowing when exactly she contracted the initial strain. Still though, looks like the quarantine period should be upped to 3 weeks.

dublin99 wrote: »
    You need at least ffp2 mask (equivalent to US standard N95) or better still a ffp3 for protection. FYI ffp3 masks were recommended by WHO for protection against Ebola as part of a PPE package.

***Most importantly, the mask must be right size and well fitted and forms a seal around mouth area, ie you are not breathing through the gap at the edges.

If you sneeze and have a mask on surely it will limit the distance that your breath or spit may travel. This is of some use to stop spread.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/coronavirus-singapore-discharged-covid-19-patients-12469664

Singapore seems to be on top of the out break. 2 new cases in the last 3 days and 5 patients discharged today.

"This brings the total number of fully recovered cases to 58. Of the 33 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, most are stable or improving. Seven are in critical condition in the intensive care unit."

Incredibly advanced health care system and a public that responds to a crisis.

Whilst here we can't even cancel a rugby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RTE summarises "What European nations are doing to block coronavirus"
    https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0225/1117526-coronavirus-measures-europe/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If you sneeze and have a mask on surely it will limit the distance that your breath or spit may travel. This is of some use to stop spread.

Indeed masks are far more effective to stop the spread than stopping someone from being infected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

dublin99 wrote: »

Yeah these are n95, they'll have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Personally I think it's now a pandemic, so no longer stoppable. Most people who get it are entirely asymptomatic or barely have a sniffle. Out of the hundred thousand plus people infected, the reported deaths for people under 40 is in the single digits, of which I only know 2, and they were Chinese doctors who were overworked to the max in Wuhan. The vast majority of deaths and serious cases, as far as i am aware, is among the elderly who also have underlying health problems. They probably stand a greater risk of a skiing injury than any adverse effects from the virus.

If I didn't think the cat was already out of the bag, I'd probably say don't go, as a precaution, but they might as well now.

You're also not really considering the second order effects. No fun getting quarantined in some random hotel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement