Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Its not Ebola you know right :pac:

It was a joke you know right:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Don't have time to read the whole thread but does anyone know why the secrecy ? Why can they not just say what flight the person was on , what hospital they are in , where they work etc ? No need to give names but it would help people decide if they are at risk . I feel like we are been treated like children in all this with the withholding of information.

Theyll be on the Late Late Show next weel and probably on the irish Strictly Come Dancing next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I think you mean the 26 counties has its first case, Ireland already had one.

You have to wonder what was going on in Italy, as it really spread there .

Unfortunately, the same could happen here or anywhere.

this one is a keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

d51984 wrote: »
    ****ing joke were still accepting flights from Italy anyway.

Yes that is an issue for sure, but flights are arriving in Dub from many sources now. I can't keep up there are so many.

I think you mean the 26 counties has its first case, Ireland already had one.

You have to wonder what was going on in Italy, as it really spread there .

Unfortunately, the same could happen here or anywhere.

this one is a keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

d51984 wrote: »
    ****ing joke were still accepting flights from Italy anyway.

Yes that is an issue for sure, but flights are arriving in Dub from many sources now. I can't keep up there are so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'd say it's because these arent really the first cases, just the ones that got severe enough to be noticed

Yes, and they would have taken some time to get to that point.

The people who are going to develop pneumonia seem to start showing symptoms ~5 days after first symptoms of disease, which are more flu-like.

For the sub-group of pneumonia cases that progress to severe pneumonia or respiratory distress, this can be 2-3 weeks or more from first symptoms.

If doctors are waiting that long before suspecting / being able to test for covid19, then that means there's been more time for transmission.
    And with doubling times of ~5-7 days, a lot of new people could have been infected before anyone knew there was an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

First case in Ireland - boards going down - media blackout...hmmm...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Around 1,500 currently on this forum - that may explain the site slowing down a bit

503 error

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

fritzelly wrote: »

giphy.webp

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope the HSE start implementing proper infection controls in hospitals, normally they are pretty poor according to HSE staff in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Best of luck to all the wonderful (front line) staff in the HSE these next few difficult weeks and months. The country is 100% behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Guy working with me, his uncle is a taxi man. Dropped the NI victim. Gardai have contacted him and he's in quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

fritzelly wrote: »

Rumour has it that it was the Clayton hotel after all. Media blackout

screamer wrote: »
    I think the levels of ignorance and “as long as I’m alright jack, stuff you” around coronavirus are frightening. It kills 2% if we’re to believe the official figures, but it’s not a flat 2%, with immunity compromised and elderly at highest risk and a greater death rate than 2%. Seeing the stuff you attitude that a lot of people have, I’ve no faith that we in Ireland will do anything to protect other people or prevent the spread unless we’re forcibly quarantined. Either way I’m stock piling because I will have to look after myself and those in my family who are chronic asthmatics and at serious risk. Each to their own, but I do think people in high risk groups should prepare as well as they can and ignore the childish and ignorant remarks of others.

It's mad, wait until people are angry about it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Glebee wrote: »
    Say your goodbyes mate, your screwed.:(

It's not me I'd be worried about, it's a family member with an underlying illness (hypertension) so I'm not travelling home in case.

Plenty of people have raised it in the office this week - we're working alongside quite a few people who were in Milan and Northern Italy in general the week before last.

HR are following the HSE guidelines (for what they're worth).

There's also an employee out sick with flu symptoms. :rolleyes:

I certainly think I have the Corona virus now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Guy working with me, his uncle is a taxi man. Dropped the NI victim. Gardai have contacted him and he's in quarantine

He didn't drop me. I decided to walk. He's winding you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Why the hell am I reading the Stand by Stephen King again? Just past the part when the army guy quotes Yeats's poem the Second Coming too, quite apt... :o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One thing I learned from reddit is that so many foreigners don't know there is a difference between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

They are confused and think it's old news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Came here on a plane from Italy

Imagine my shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant wait to read tomorrows Sunday Indepent to hear what our celebrities are doing to avoid catching the plague...

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭d51984

boards.ie has the corona virus ... its down haha.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

'Official Ireland' spinning the narrative that it's "only a flu" is going to backfire if they then need to push the need for self-isolation, working from home etc etc
    After all... who self isolates for the flu as a pre-emptive measure?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Pinch Flat wrote: »

He was told to go straight home and someone would be waiting for him heard that a day or two ago all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Kunkka wrote: »
    Why the hell am I reading the Stand by Stephen King again? Just past the part when the army guy quotes Yeats's poem the Second Coming too, quite apt... :o:)

One of my fave books

Captain Trips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Unearthly wrote: »
    One thing I learned from reddit is that so many foreigners don't know there is a difference between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

They are confused and think it's old news

It is bit strange , the reaction to the Belfast case to the Dublin case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Actually once you get into the system, the HSE is world class.

In fairness, My granda had to get serious surgery, they were up against the odds and the job they did was nothing short phenomenal same with the after care, i dont doubt the ability of our staff or surgeons they do a fantastic job only there isnt enough of em.

• Advertisement

Simon Harris is about to give a state of the union Address

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement