Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

40% to 70% to come into contact with the virus over the next year say increasing number of scientists.

the fact that most people will have no / mild symptoms make the spread so much more difficult to contain

"You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus"

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

stock markets tumbling due to the increased outbreak

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/feb/25/stock-market-sell-off-coronavirus-companies-croda-dow-ftse-business-live

tourism alone is 10% of global GDP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The PM also said that people returning to Poland by plane were having their temperature taken and that Polish national air carrier LOT had thermometers aboard.

Regarding hospital preparedness, the head of the PM’s Office Micihał Dworczyk told Polish Radio that Polish hospitals had 239 complete isolation stations and that infectious disease wards had 600 beds for potentially infected patients.

“People returning from all infection hazard zones have their temperature checked. All of these people have been filling localisation sheets and are being supervised by pertinent services,” said Mr Dworczyk.

The official added that a special website has been launched where more information concerning the coronavirus situation in Poland would be published. Safety measures and tips can also be found on the said webpage...

...Poland’s Foreign Ministry has been dissuading people from trips to 11 quarantined municipalities in Italy( Whereas Ireland
    Dept. Foreign Affairs- nornal precautions...).

https://polandin.com/46819936/poland-ready-for-coronavirus-pm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If you sneeze and have a mask on surely it will limit the distance that your breath or spit may travel. This is of some use to stop spread.

Yeah but that can be achieved by ordinary hygienic practices too, without the need for a mask.

it's starting to look like it's too late to stop this.

they can't close down the world and keep taking measures like this every time an Italian sneezes in a hotel bar.

1,000 people quarantined in Tenerife Hotel

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/tenerife-coronavirus-guests-hotel-quarantined

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

auspicious wrote: »
    The PM also said that people returning to Poland by plane were having their temperature taken and that Polish national air carrier LOT had thermometers aboard.

Regarding hospital preparedness, the head of the PM’s Office Micihał Dworczyk told Polish Radio that Polish hospitals had 239 complete isolation stations and that infectious disease wards had 600 beds for potentially infected patients.

“People returning from all infection hazard zones have their temperature checked. All of these people have been filling localisation sheets and are being supervised by pertinent services,” said Mr Dworczyk.

The official added that a special website has been launched where more information concerning the coronavirus situation in Poland would be published. Safety measures and tips can also be found on the said webpage...

...Poland’s Foreign Ministry has been dissuading people from trips to 11 quarantined municipalities in Italy( Whereas Ireland
    Dept. Foreign Affairs- nornal precautions...).

https://polandin.com/46819936/poland-ready-for-coronavirus-pm

In Ireland we are encouraging thousands of people from an infected area of Italy to come and see men chasing a ball around a pitch.

Yippee

#surewebegrand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

VinLieger wrote: »
    The number of infected in Italy mean its been there for at least 1-2 weeks prior to detection last weekend which means its not possible to contain it as its already beyond the current quarantine.

The numbers in Italy if the doubling rate mentioned of approx every six days means it has been there for over 35 days I would say.

Just as a comparison Singapore had its first case on Jan 23 , it now has 91 , Italy has 231. Maybe its the difference between early detection and late detection or maybe the virus has been in Italy for a longer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

glasso wrote: »
    it's starting to look like it's too late to stop this.

they can't close down the world and keep taking measures like this every time an Italian sneezes in a hotel bar.

1,000 people quarantined in Tenerife Hotel

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/25/tenerife-coronavirus-guests-hotel-quarantined

Which is what governments will want. "Sure no point closing borders now as everyone has it". Keep consuming meanwhile countless people (especially sick and the eldery will die).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Yeah these are n95, they'll have to do.

Be careful taking them off, there's a high risk of hand contamination there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Going to Dubai next week, my fear 2 weeks ago was catching it there, now fear is whether is they'll even let me in or not coming from Europe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Which is what governments will want. "Sure no point closing borders now as everyone has it". Keep consuming meanwhile countless people (especially sick and the eldery will die).

people with no symptoms are spreading it (inadvertently).

asymptomatic transmission.

you can't stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Okay let's say for a minute you go and the outbreak get's worse and your hotel is suspected of a case or two and nobody is allowed leave for 2 weeks. That's not that far fetched a scenario. Saying that by the time you leave we most likely will have multiple cases here but it's going to be easier to ride this out at home in your house/apartment than some hotel in Italy.
    Is it a posh hotel? Could be worse things I suppose!

For context....I have booked a 5 star place in lake Garda in April, already chatted to them and they offered to move it to later in the year if needed.

Will play it by ear I think and see how things looking a week or two before flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Moderna, a US drugmaker are on the ball at the moment.. Their stock was flying it pre-market today..

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/modernas-new-covid-19-vaccine-ready-for-human-trials-stock-up-15-2020-02-25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Might be a good time to book a week off in an exotic expensive hotel hoping for a long free of charge quarantine with room service, nice view balcony, netflix and relax

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Things escalating quickly, first case in Switzerland
    https://www.20min.ch/ausland/news/story/Kreuzfahrtschiff-steht-vor-Japan-unter-Quarantaene-15911058
    Suspected cases in Slovakia, Romania, Slovenia

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

The numbers in Italy if the doubling rate mentioned of approx every six days means it has been there for over 35 days I would say.

Just as a comparison Singapore had its first case on Jan 23 , it now has 91 , Italy has 231. Maybe its the difference between early detection and late detection or maybe the virus has been in Italy for a longer time.

One important factor in Singapore , Macau and hong Kong is that people are very good with wearing surgical masks when they are out and especially on public transport. Singapore government actually supplied masks to local people. This would have helped reduce the spreading risk in such a densely populated city. Singapore has total area 1% of Ireland but population of 5.8 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

More schools with returing students from trips to N.Italy: Co.Antrim and x2 over in Cheshire heading for self-quatantine.

Likely many more, as many Schools across Uk & Ire all enjoy the aul school organised ski trips to Euroland slopes.

Edit:
    + Doncaster and Teeside schools also just added, likely dozens and dozens of schools are coming back from there.
    + x3 schools from the North in total (Derry/Down/Antrim)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nijmegen wrote: »
    You're also not really considering the second order effects. No fun getting quarantined in some random hotel.

How many hotels in Europe on lock-down vs the number of hotels? You could die in a traffic accident on the way to the airport. Living has associated risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

cnocbui wrote: »
    How many hotels in Europe on lock-down vs the number of hotels? You could die in a traffic accident on the way to the airport.

You could.... from a coughing fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My neighbours son is among 55 Irish Erasmus students in University of Milan. They were all flown home yesterday because the university has closed, and they were all allowed to walk off the planes with no testing or health checks.
    They are all from various different parts of Ireland, and are now home in their various cities, towns and villages across the country under the instruction to just self quarantine if they start to feel sick.
    There will be many other Erasmus students in different colleges/universities in the affected areas returning in the coming days in similar circumstances.
    This is how it will spread, its so worrying that these kids weren't even checked upon arrival into Ireland.
    Its downright negligence on the part of the Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not sure if this link has been posted previously.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The main thing I noted from it Vs the media coverage is the number of people who have recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

dublin99 wrote: »
    One important factor in Singapore , Macau and hong Kong is that people are very good with wearing surgical masks when they are out and especially on public transport. Singapore government actually supplied masks to local people. This would have helped reduce the spreading risk in such a densely populated city. Singapore has total area 1% of Ireland but population of 5.8 million.

They've also done a very good job of contact tracking, and have been very forthcoming with details of each new case.

Some are asking if higher temps might also limit viral spread. Japan and S Korea - both cold right now - are on an upward trajectory, while Singapore (~30 deg C) has contained it remarkably well. Cases in Hong Kong (~20 deg) are low too, despite early and repeated introductions from mainland China. Too early to say if temps are a factor, but intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

gmisk wrote:
    Ok question about the coronavirus I know it can cause pneumonia.. I had what was described as atypical viral pneumonia when I was about 19. It was bloody horrendous I lost about 3 stone by the end of it. Not sure if this would make me more or less susceptible to this? I am guessing I will be at same risk, my immune system is excellent since very rare I get a cold even.
    I'm not a doctor. I would imagine if you made a full recovery with no complications then you're no more susceptible than the rest of us.
    Mic 1972 wrote:
    The silence from other European countries is deafening, still showing ridiculously low confirmed cases, are we all afraid to test our patients? Hospitals have been epicenters of contagious before, they need to run tests at least there
    Testing anyone and everyone as a screening program is a waste of time and resources.

We should only test those with symptoms, those who have had direct contact with an infected person or someone who has been in an infected region.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

More schools with returing students from trips to N.Italy: Co.Antrim and x2 over in Cheshire heading for self-quatantine.

Likely many more, as many Schools across uk-ire all enjoy the aul school organised ski trips to Euroland slopes.

I thought that those school children weren't flying anymore as they save the planet!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Cant find the earlier post, but there was mention of a vaccine. Not sure if its from the same company? https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/modernas-new-covid-19-vaccine-ready-for-human-trials-stock-up-15-2020-02-25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm not a doctor. I would imagine if you made a full recovery with no complications then you're no more susceptible than the rest of us.

Testing anyone and everyone as a screening program is a waste of time and resources.

We should only test those with symptoms, those who have had direct contact with an infected person or someone who has been in an infected region.
    Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

darjeeling wrote: »
    They've also done a very good job of contact tracking, and have been very forthcoming with details of each new case.

Some are asking if higher temps might also limit viral spread. Japan and S Korea - both cold right now - are on an upward trajectory, while Singapore (~30 deg C) has contained it remarkably well. Cases in Hong Kong (~20 deg) are low too, despite early and repeated introductions from mainland China. Too early to say if temps are a factor, but intriguing.

Interesting to look at the figures minus Hubei province too (if you take Hubei out of the equation, 142 people have died from COVID, so far.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My neighbours son is among 55 Irish Erasmus students in University of Milan. They were all flown home yesterday because the university has closed, and they were all allowed to walk off the planes with no testing or health checks.
    They are all from various different parts of Ireland, and are now home in their various cities, towns and villages across the country under the instruction to just self quarantine if they start to feel sick.
    There will be many other Erasmus students in different colleges/universities in the affected areas returning in the coming days in similar circumstances.
    This is how it will spread, its so worrying that these kids weren't even checked upon arrival into Ireland.
    Its downright negligence on the part of the Irish government.

My friend was in Rome until last Wednesday (2 days before any official reported) and they were taking temperatures at the airport In Italy. He said there was no measures in Dublin airport . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Except you're infectious for days before you start showing symptoms.. and as far as I can tell, we seem to be testing hardly anyone, no matter where they've been or whom they've been in contact with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement