Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Beasty, can only posters over 250 posts be allowed post on the new thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tell that to the guy who had his trucked turned over in Galway

thats the problem with too many warnings, no one will take them seriously. should be a red warning or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

A lot of garbage being posted on here from rumours of where this case is, rumours of 500k dead from the virus in China to cheap jibes at the HSE.

I can't believe people think the HSE haven't been planning for this for weeks. F**k sake, public health is their job/responsibility. Of course they'll have been planning for something that's been major news for over a month.

I'm not looking forward to all the nonsense over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

rob316 wrote: »
    And we have absolutely no idea what the true death rate of this could be as mild cases aren't even been reported. Could be as low as the seasonal flu all said and done.

Not disputing that, in fact it dawned on me that there may be a stigma to it too now so people may not even want to call for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The problem with that, is what defines a verifiable news source. You potentially leave it open to the state to manage & control what can be reported. Not a good idea.

You know pretty much anything that isn't whatsapp or a friend of friend of my brother who drives a taxi for the HSE head

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fr336 wrote: »
    They're not usually so open about it though. It's literally like "it's only the old ones" aka anyone over 50. It really never used to be like this.
    Give it a rest. No-one is saying anything remotely like this except very clearly in jest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

thats the problem with too many warnings, no one will take them seriously. should be a red warning or nothing

Because remembering what county you live in and three pretty obvious colours is tough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Tell that to the guy who had his trucked turned over in Galway

that was about the highlight of it and he out in the middle of the burren prob wide open space with a truck, i mean if it was ever gonna happen somewhere... ideal conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

tillyfilly wrote: »

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

kenmc wrote: »
    No can do, no alcohol can be sold to the kiddies after 10pm, they can't be trusted to go to bed. Another fine fg policy. Yay.
    Was brought in in 2008, FF and Greens not FG.

• Advertisement

I'd say over 300 ;)

https://www.facebook.com/valbona.ajdari/videos/10221933655996516/

Not sure of the context of this vid but doesnt look like good craic in china!

or accounts at least 3 weeks old...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Great call. The thread has become a farce

I disagree with this, verifiable information will be hard to come by and out of date by the time it's verified in a fast moving situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

DeanAustin wrote: »
    A lot of garbage being posted on here from rumours of where this case is, rumours of 500k dead from the virus in China to cheap jibes at the HSE.

I can't believe people think the HSE haven't been planning for this for weeks. F**k sake, public health is their job/responsibility. Of course they'll have been planning for something that's been major news for over a month.

I'm not looking forward to all the nonsense over the next few weeks.

The HSE has had oh i dunno 20 years to sort the trolley crisis out and you think they can handle this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Loving the "east of the country" description. It's like if they don't give any more details it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yes but has any other country remained at only one case for an extended time? There might be but I wouldn’t be so confident of that fact next week.
    That’s what I’m saying. This WILL spread.
    I’m also saying this isn’t a death sentence. The majority will only get mild symptoms. However some will get it more serious.
    I doubt it,but it wasn't realistic that we would have no cases imo.
    We will in all likelihood continue to copy what the NHS are doing and hope it limits the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Cupatae wrote: »

Great bunch of lads

tom1ie wrote: »
    Could be, but all we can go off is the who death rate of approx 2-3%, which is multiples of the flu death rate. At a 1% death rate that would be 10 times more lethal than the flu.

That's not the death rate though. It's not even the reported death rate in Wuhan where they suspect it was inflated anyway because there are thousands of unreported cases. The death rate elsewhere has been much lower.

Yes it's more deadly than flu but can people stop pushing fake numbers because it only encourages panic.

People confirmed and not observing quarantine - vid doing the rounds for a long while with no context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's not China.

That's Moore Street after someone is told they have to spend a night in the Mater Hospital under the care of the HSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

sdanseo wrote: »

They will be brought to the Mater because it's the first line dedicated isolation unit.
    So will anyone else diagnosed in the eastern region until it reaches capacity.

Ah, thanks for confirming. I have no real interest where exactly he is/was treated.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Loving the "east of the country" description. It's like if they don't give any more details it'll be grand.

we've a grand natural border down the middle of the country in the Shannon, is it time to blow the bridges?

https://www.facebook.com/valbona.ajdari/videos/pcb.10221933658916589/10221933658156570/?type=3&theater[/URL]

The greenwheely bin at the end of that made me laugh cause of an earlier post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yeah they've had to go to extraordinary lengths.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The HSE has had oh i dunno 20 years to sort the trolley crisis out and you think they can handle this??

I've no idea if they can handle it. Like every poster on here, I don't know enough about it.

But it's absolute nonsense and cheap point scoring to doubt that they've been planning for the arrival of coronavirus over the last few weeks as some posters seem to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

oh now we want to take a look at everything that happened in China. It was a disaster zone, 40,000 medical workers flown in there just think about that.

We will have to put the pressure on our government or we'll get a South Korea on our hands. German and French health ministers threw up their hands after 50 cases, which is not an option according to the WHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hey it's Saturday night, most of us trying to relax now and have the craic.

Might be different on Monday (you cannot get sick on the weekend as we know) but we will deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Carol25 wrote: »
    I disagree with this, verifiable information will be hard to come by and out of date by the time it's verified in a fast moving situation?

Well at least back up any statement with a source. That should slow things down a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement