Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Carol25 wrote: »
    I disagree with this, verifiable information will be hard to come by and out of date by the time it's verified in a fast moving situation?

Well at least back up any statement with a source. That should slow things down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I've no idea if they can handle it. Like every poster on here, I don't know enough about it.

But it's absolute nonsense and cheap point scoring to doubt that they've been planning for the arrival of coronavirus over the last few weeks as some posters seem to be doing.

It's more that their plan has been crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,476 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That's not the death rate though. It's not even the reported death rate in Wuhan where they suspect it was inflated anyway because there are thousands of unreported cases. The death rate elsewhere has been much lower.

Yes it's more deadly than flu but can people stop pushing fake numbers because it only encourages panic.

Sorry your wrong:
    As of 20 February, 2,114 of the 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases have died (crude fatality ratio [CFR: 3.8%) (note: at least some of whom were identified using a case definition that included pulmonary disease).

That’s for Wuhan.

We don’t yet know how dangerous Covid-19 is, and we won’t know until more data comes in. The mortality rate seems to be about 2%. For comparison, seasonal flu typically has a mortality rate below 1% and is thought to cause about 400,000 deaths each year globally. Sars had a death rate of more than 10%.

That’s from the guardian article about a week old before the Iran death spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

A lot of garbage being posted on here from rumours of where this case is, rumours of 500k dead from the virus in China to cheap jibes at the HSE.

I can't believe people think the HSE haven't been planning for this for weeks. F**k sake, public health is their job/responsibility. Of course they'll have been planning for something that's been major news for over a month.

I'm not looking forward to all the nonsense over the next few weeks.

Have you not heard the recent interviews by healthcare professionals who state that we do not have the resources to isolate more than a handful of people simultaneously?

Doesnt sound like weeks of planning to me.

Criticism of the HSE is valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

fr336 wrote: »
    Really sick of this. That almost all fit and healthy people will recover was never really in doubt. The doubts are for those with manageable illness who would never have otherwise died in a flu season, or frankly anyone over 50. The more you age after that, the more at risk you are. So yeah I'm guessing you're in your 20s or 30s. Nothing to see here. P.S. 21 year old athlete died yesterday.

Fr336 what happened with the 21 yr old? was that the woman Iranium footballer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is that supposed to be an update to their briefing an hour ago?
    They've literally said nothing different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Close all airport's and ports to passengers for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

we've a grand natural border down the middle of the country in the Shannon, is it time to blow the bridges?

I'm from Cork. We're already building the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

fritzelly wrote: »
    People confirmed and not observing quarantine - vid doing the rounds for a long while with no context

Yep. People were told to not leave there apartments. Food was getting delivered to the apartment doors. Tape was stuck to the outside of the doors. If the tape was disturbed then they know people were breaking quarantine. They were given multiple warnings. Like a 3 strike rule. This is what happens when you keep breaking quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

oh now we want to take a look at everything that happened in China. It was a disaster zone, 40,000 medical workers flown in there just think about that.

We will have to put the pressure on our government or we'll get a South Korea on our hands. German and French health ministers threw up their hands after 50 cases, which is not an option according to the WHO.

Don't believe anything the WHO says. Their history in relation to SARs, ZIKA etc. has been nothing but lies and scientific fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cupatae wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/valbona.ajdari/videos/pcb.10221933658916589/10221933658156570/?type=3&theater[/URL]

The greenwheely bin at the end of that made me laugh cause of an earlier post :D
    One poster suggested locking yourself (somehow) in a green wheelie bin which would appear to have some merit.

lol indeed, merit in that case. They wouldn't have found him if the advice had been followed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Phil.x wrote: »

It's too late for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

leavingirl wrote: »
    Don't believe anything the WHO says. Their history in relation to SARs, ZIKA etc. has been nothing but lies and scientific fraud.

So who do we listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

tom1ie wrote: »
    Sorry your wrong:
    As of 20 February, 2,114 of the 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases have died (crude fatality ratio [CFR: 3.8%) (note: at least some of whom were identified using a case definition that included pulmonary disease).

That’s for Wuhan.

We don’t yet know how dangerous Covid-19 is, and we won’t know until more data comes in. The mortality rate seems to be about 2%. For comparison, seasonal flu typically has a mortality rate below 1% and is thought to cause about 400,000 deaths each year globally. Sars had a death rate of more than 10%.

That’s from the guardian article about a week old before the Iran death spike.

No need to apologise. From a Guardian article this evening, the mortality rate in Wuhan is around 2% and lower elsewhere (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/what-is-coronavirus-what-should-i-do-symptoms). That's at the epicentre of the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Yep. People were told to not leave there apartments. Food was getting delivered to the apartment doors. Tape was stuck to the outside of the doors. If the tape was disturbed then they know people were breaking quarantine. They were given multiple warnings. Like a 3 strike rule. This is what happens when you keep breaking quarantine.

Don't threaten me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So who do we listen to?

Gwyneth Paltrow. A minge egg might do the trick.

No need to apologise. From a Guardian article this evening, the mortality rate in Wuhan is around 2% and lower elsewhere (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/what-is-coronavirus-what-should-i-do-symptoms). That's at the epicentre of the outbreak.

That’s what I originally said and you said I was wrong!!:confused:
    Don’t wanna argue with a fellow spurs supporter!

Have you not heard the recent interviews by healthcare professionals who state that we do not have the resources to isolate more than a handful of people simultaneously?

Doesnt sound like weeks of planning to me.

Criticism of the HSE is valid.

It would be a dereliction of duty if they weren't planning for it for the last number of weeks. That doesn't mean they can contain an outbreak or stop the spread.

If anyone seriously thinks they were sitting around pretending there was no coronavirus for the last few weeks, they need to take off the tinfoil hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

You'd have to think it best to shut work places amd schools now to contain this thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes that'll work? It's here already!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be an update to their briefing an hour ago?
    They've literally said nothing different

No not the current story someone asked for the RTE link to the first Irish coronavirus case.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

We are looking at the potential of 106,085 dead in Ireland (1.5% of the population) with 283,710 people critically ill needing assisted breathing to stay alive, many of which might have life long effects after the virus is gone!

Coronavirus cases worldwide: 86,023 | Deaths: 2,942 | Critical 7,868 (taken from here: worldmeters dot info coronavirus)
    Assumption 10% of critical are going to die.

Puts death rate at 4.33%

70% expecteded to catch the virus according to theatlantic dot com article if you Google (I wasn't allowed post a link as a new user).

Island of Ireland has apprx 7,000,000 people living on it.

That means 4,900,000 people catch the virus.

Lets assume 50% of cases are actually so mild they are not caught in the numbers above but assume all deaths are captured.

We are then talking about 106,085 dead or 1.5% of the population?
    I don’t mind you having a drink but less of the silly talk

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

There is no doubt there are other unconfirmed cases still going around unaware they have it.

I still haven't seen an answer to this question - how many tests are we doing with people suspected? Just the one? Because other countries reporting positive cases confirmed only after the second/third or even fourth test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

You'd have to think it best to shut work places amd schools now to contain this thing.

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The sad thing is that the people in HSE making these decisions will never have to encounter a Covid patient ever.

Easy to spout from the sidelines.

I wish all frontline and surgical and emergency staff the very best and hope beyond hope that they are well looked after. They deserve it so much.

There is no doubt there are other unconfirmed cases still going around unaware they have it.

I still haven't seen an answer to this question - how many tests are we doing with people suspected? Just the one? Because other countries reporting positive cases confirmed only after the second/third or even fourth test.

This.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It would be a dereliction of duty if they weren't planning for it for the last number of weeks. That doesn't mean they can contain an outbreak or stop the spread.

If anyone seriously thinks they were sitting around pretending there was no coronavirus for the last few weeks, they need to take off the tinfoil hat.

As someone said earlier, with how the cervical check went, I'd be hesitant to put my full faith into the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

The Popehimself 24-02-2020, 13:42 #9641
    "...and how many more Taxi's are driving around having had similar passengers today...

The 13:22 Milan to Dublin EI433 just landed at Terminal 2 Dublin Airport
    And the 15:40 Dublin to Milan EI 436 is due to depart this afternoon bang on schedule…
    There are people travelling back and forth to South Korea from Dublin and Shannon...and so it goes.

Our stable doors have been left wide open
    "
    ....................................................................................................................................................

I'm so p!ssed off right now...no one would listen.

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    That’s what I originally said and you said I was wrong!!:confused:
    Don’t wanna argue with a fellow spurs supporter!

You said the death rate is 2%-3%. The lowest end of that range is the death rate at the epicentre of the outbreak and widely accepted to be an inflated number.

But you're right, we have enough problems supporting Spurs than to be arguing about coronavirus... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement