Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This is Iranian deputy health minister yesterday

https://twitter.com/i/status/1232274937936781312

And probably infecting his entire cabinet in the process.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Testing anyone and everyone as a screening program is a waste of time and resources.

We should only test those with symptoms, those who have had direct contact with an infected person or someone who has been in an infected region.

Would you have any thoughts on whether and how antibody testing would be used as fast test kits become available?

I know it won't replace diagnostic nucleic acid tests, but it should allow rapid screening to see who has been exposed, including people who have recovered but I don't know where it might best be used though, and if the HSE conducts this kind of general population screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Supposed to be going to Malaga in a month with the family, I think I'm resigned to the fact we will be cancelling it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Supposed to be going to Malaga in a month with the family, I think I'm resigned to the fact we will be cancelling it at this stage.

If you were going to be going to Centre Parc in Longford in a month you would be cancelling that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Not a bit early for that? Mainland only has 1 case in Catalunya.

Also, sure if you get it at least you're in the country with one of the best health systems in Europe :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think that by the time your holiday rolls around, the virus will be so widespread (and actually acknowledged) that the prevailing advice will be "You'll probably catch it anyway, so just go ahead and act as normal, exercising the usual hand hygiene etc, and when you do catch it, hope it won't kill you."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Still no checks at Dublin airport. You could get off an airplane from Milan and be looking like a character from the walking dead and you'd stroll right through. Mickey Mouse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only 1 (new) case in Barcelona, wouldn't be cancelling...yet

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think that by the time your holiday rolls around, the virus will be so widespread (and actually acknowledged) that the prevailing advice will be "You'll probably catch it anyway, so just go ahead and act as normal, exercising the usual hand hygiene etc, and when you do catch it, hope it won't kill you."

Which is going to lead to extraordinary numbers of casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Still no checks at Dublin airport. You could get off an airplane from Milan and be looking like a character from the walking dead and you'd stroll right through. Mickey Mouse stuff.

We took the foot and mouth situation a lot more seriously.

• Advertisement

There are reports the case in Tenerife is a doctor from Lombardy. We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

cnocbui wrote: »
    In fairness, her reaction was pretty justified given the trolling by that self-satisfied ratbag, Ads By Google.

thanks. that was exactly my thought, that it's that guy under a different username.

people who just came to this thread should be aware there's a first thread with 1000 posts and some here, as me, were in that from the beginning and have a bit of experience here with some purposely (not many though!) mind boggling stupid spread fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

WHO are doing a live press now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

So far the narrative is just "China great bunch of lads" crazy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Alkers wrote: »
    Not sure if this link has been posted previously.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The main thing I noted from it Vs the media coverage is the number of people who have recovered.

That link was posted and dissected so many time before to the point of getting a ban warning! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

YFlyer wrote: »
    We took the foot and mouth situation a lot more seriously.

If you didn't know better you'd think they just want everyone to get it.

If you were to believe whats being said then there's no testing of people coming from infected regions at all coming into this country.

No testing of people who have had contact with cases and presented themselves for testing.

Instead of being one of a very few places that might have a chance of escaping this thing we are just sitting back and hoping for the best.

I hope the lack of action here is not something we will live (or maybe not) to regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DominoDub wrote: »
    WHO are doing a live press now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

So far the narrative is just "China great bunch of lads" crazy :eek:

The WHO are a ****ing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That link was posted and dissected so many time before to the point of getting a ban warning! ;)

Oddly enough I've never seen it before; I was taking all my stuff from here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you didn't know better you'd think they just want everyone to get it.

If you were to believe whats being said then there's no testing of people coming from infected regions at all coming into this country.

No testing of people who have had contact with cases and presented themselves for testing.

Instead of being one of a very few places that might have a chance of escaping this thing we are just sitting back and hoping for the best.

I hope the lack of action here is not something we will live (or maybe not) to regret.

Lets be real, it's already here.

They are most likely waiting for the first (bad) case to pop up to put any resources to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

mlem123 wrote:
    Not a bit early for that? Mainland only has 1 case in Catalunya.

Ficheall wrote:

fritzelly wrote:
    Only 1 (new) case in Barcelona, wouldn't be cancelling...yet

Well if I cancel I lose nearly everything anyway, so won't actually be cancelling flights or hotel yet, but I'm just resigning myself to the fact we'll probably have to cancel when the time comes.

Had to cancel the time of the Ash clouds from Iceland so have form for picking the worst times for travelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

We really are a hick backward nation. Taking the blaise "ah sur it will be grand "approach is so fcuking ignorantly irish . Its the very reason why there are so many hard necked fcuks in this country . Why when certain members of the Irish government and Gardai are shown to be corrupt they get away with it. Why people like John Delaney get away with what he did and the current situation with the NCT issue is another example. We are a backward nation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My neighbours son is among 55 Irish Erasmus students in University of Milan. They were all flown home yesterday because the university has closed, and they were all allowed to walk off the planes with no testing or health checks.
    They are all from various different parts of Ireland, and are now home in their various cities, towns and villages across the country under the instruction to just self quarantine if they start to feel sick.
    There will be many other Erasmus students in different colleges/universities in the affected areas returning in the coming days in similar circumstances.
    This is how it will spread, its so worrying that these kids weren't even checked upon arrival into Ireland.
    Its downright negligence on the part of the Irish government.

It's outrageous.
    Which one person in government does it fall to to implement basic directives such as checking flights from affected regions? If even one death results from the lack of adequate action I'd like to see prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Oddly enough I've never seen it before; I was taking all my stuff from here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

getting info from this:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well if I cancel I lose nearly everything anyway, so won't actually be cancelling flights or hotel yet, but I'm just resigning myself to the fact we'll probably have to cancel when the time comes.

Had to cancel the time of the Ash clouds from Iceland so have form for picking the worst times for travelling...
    I emailed hotel in Italy and they were happy to move date (no refund as we paid up front).
    I think you will only get refund for flights if they are cancelled

I sincerely hope the 2% fatality rate isn't accurate because this is going global now and the casualty rate will be extraordinary.

It's all well and good saying the deaths only appear to be affecting elderly and immune compromised people but ANYONE can get it and spread it around.

Don't the elderly deserve to live? What about that 40 year old who is undergoing chemo? They've been told that their chances of surviving cancer are high only to get knocked down by Covid-19! Are they just cannon fodder too?

It's already been shown that super spreaders can be asymptomatic so telling people only to self isolate if they show symptoms is a ****ing cop out and it boils my blood.

Has the HSE bothered to update their website yet?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Ficheall wrote:
    Except you're infectious for days before you start showing symptoms.. and as far as I can tell, we seem to be testing hardly anyone, no matter where they've been or whom they've been in contact with.
    If someone is not displaying symptoms or feeling unwell you could argue why test them.

We have limited resources. Staff, tests, beds, masks, oxygen tanks. Shouldn't our resources be designated to those that will need them.
    darjeeling wrote:
    Would you have any thoughts on whether and how antibody testing would be used as fast test kits become available?
    I haven't heard of anything like that yet, but i havent looked into it. If an assay does become available it would have to be compatible for all the various analysers used in labs all over the world. The equipment we use in Ireland may be different to what they use in China, Iran, Italy etc.
    Months would be the minimum timeline.
    darjeeling wrote:
    I know it won't replace diagnostic nucleic acid tests, but it should allow rapid screening to see who has been exposed, including people who have recovered but I don't know where it might best be used though, and if the HSE conducts this kind of general population screening.
    Define rapid. The actual length of time tests can take on an analyser can be anything from minutes to hours depending on the assay. Results have to be checked, controlled and verified.

Routine labs are already short staffed and overworked. Imagine adding thousands and thousands of Covid-19 tests to that. There wouldn't be enough hours in the day to get through the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Testing anyone and everyone as a screening program is a waste of time and resources.

I'm starting to agree with this. There is no cure at the moment
    Prevention is the only solution and it should be applied to all, regardless of whether they are infected or not. All countries should apply strict rules to prevent spreading.
    People with mild symptoms stay home, don't interact with anyone. I doesn't matter if it's flue, cold or the virus. No need to test, if you are fine, just stay home and don't spread it
    People in critical conditions are being treated the best we can in Hospital as they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lets be real, it's already here.

They are most likely waiting for the first (bad) case to pop up to put any resources to that.

This. Definitely the case. They aren't testing anyone unless they are on death's door probably because it's better to not find it if possible. At least put off the first confirmation as long as it can be, why? Well because that's the only plan they have. The numbers of people that would require hospital care (not number that die, number that need help) will be hilariously over what our hospitals can handle that it'll cause absolute mayhem. This id put money on.

I sincerely hope the 2% fatality rate isn't accurate because this is going global now and the casualty rate will be extraordinary.

Until we know how many are actually infected, it could be lower or higher.

As I said above if you take Hubei out, the figures look a bit different based on what's known.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This is very odd stuff. Reports on social media of students from Maynooth area flying home having left a lockdown area in Northern Italy 24 hours before it was locked down. On arrival parents advised to say nothing. By who?

Irish Examiner claims media blackout ordered by “authorities” but it is publishing details.

Unsettling and odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement