Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

tom1ie wrote: »
    This post is very interesting.
    Singapore is doing well (I wonder where it is on the China timescale though, this all kicked off at the end of November, when did it kick off in Singapore I wonder?) so does our health service compare well to Singapore’s or worse? Do we have the same capacity per capita as Singapore?

Have been to Singapore , they are very organised, its run by ethnic Chinese and they dont mess around. I would say their health care is far superiority to most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

tillyfilly wrote: »
    There appears to be a cover up, some body is not telling us everything, very strange
    You know you don't have to share every bit of nonsense that comes in to your head, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Perhaps they are suppressing the number of cases. How does that fit in with the agenda?

For China it makes things look better than it possibly is. I would also call into question the almost linear reduction in confirmed cases since the new mayor of Wuhan took over. But hey China has to be open for business right.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hubei cases
    New 570
    Deaths 34

Add on a couple for the rest of China, meanwhile in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Have been to Singapore , they are very organised, its run by ethnic Chinese and they dont mess around. I would say their health care is far superiority to most countries.

This isn’t supposed to take the piss but if you ranked there’s on a scale of 1 to 10 what would it be.......now do Ireland’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Absolutely.
    Irish government are suppressing information.
    I work as a healthcare worker. I posted on Thursday that there was a confirmed case in the mater hospital. Strange it didn’t get released to the public until 9pm Saturday night.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. I seen a photo of a blocked off corridor inside the Mater on Thursday in a Whatapp group and thought nothing of it.

Actually here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

owlbethere wrote: »

I get the impression that people want to mind themselves and their families and others with underlying conditions like CF, asthma, pregnancy, cancer patients, etc. I get the impression that they want to minimise the risk of getting infected and minimise spreading of what is still a new and relatively unknown virus.

+100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder if this is true. I seen a photo of a blocked off corridor inside the Mater on Thursday in a Whatapp group and thought nothing of it.

Actually here it is.

504267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Do they ever?

The fact we keep being told to stay calm is the giveaway.

I just wish they'd do the responsible thing and tell us all to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I said this in the thread earlier but I reckon in 2 weeks time we will be hearing FF and FG talk about the national interest and going in with the greens to deal with the coronavirus emergency and economic fallout from it plus mentioning the election promises and Brexit trade talks.

This virus will force FF/fg/greens into government. I no longer see a second election as viable with this outbreak.

We may need a national unity government at this rate. This is a much bigger threat than many people realise. We are 2 months into a new illness which has killed thousands, has unknown long term consequences for survivors and is spreading rapidly and some people are still treating it as a joke.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 longvacation

Rumour mill in my area is that person is
    from Carrickmacross

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

You're a nutjob.

Scaremongering.
    How do you know? He posted nothing that borders on scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hubei cases
    New 570
    Deaths 34

I will go with 6 cases everywhere else in China.

It's total madness but they need the factories open.

Having said that, isn't that a rise in cases in Hubei province?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hubei cases
    New 570
    Deaths 34

I think it's pointless putting up the Chinese figures tbh. They are more interested in getting their economy going again now and putting out a positive spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

sdanseo wrote: »
    That doesn't make the numbers irrelevant. The only figures I discounted were the epicentre (whose health system was crippled beyond any imagination, not least because they didn't know what they were dealing with) and Iran for obvious reasons.

The figures include all the other areas with large outbreaks.

Impressive maths... But you assumed 50% of cases undetected thus halving the quoted death rates.

However the WHO China mission report says... "Asymptomatic infection has been reported, but the majority of the relatively rare cases who are asymptomatic on the date of identification/report went on to develop disease. The proportion of truly asymptomatic infections is unclear but appears to be relatively rare and does not appear to be a major driver of transmission."

Dr Bruce Aylward the WHO expert said in his news conference that there is NO rest of the iceberg, the figures from China are real.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

they must be breathing a sigh of relief!

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Absolutely.
    Irish government are suppressing information.
    I work as a healthcare worker. I posted on Thursday that there was a confirmed case in the mater hospital. Strange it didn’t get released to the public until 9pm Saturday night.

That is scary if that's the case. Why woukd they be suppressing it do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Actually here it is.

Drill maybe. Don't fall for the LCD ****e going around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Researchers currently think that between five and 40 coronavirus cases in 1,000 will result in death, with a best guess of nine in 1,000 or about 1%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I said this in the thread earlier but I reckon in 2 weeks time we will be hearing FF and FG talk about the national interest and going in with the greens to deal with the coronavirus emergency and economic fallout from it plus mentioning the election promises and Brexit trade talks.

This virus will force FF/fg/greens into government. I no longer see a second election as viable with this outbreak.

I was thinking the same, hardly be a great idea to have the masses in one spot with a outbreak like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That is scary if that's the case. Why woukd they be suppressing it do you think?

Don't believe the ****ehawk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Singapore
    99 cases
    72 fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged
    20 confirmed cases are stable
    7 are in critical condition.
    0 deaths.

I suppose this shows what a good health system will do in the early stages of an outbreak. It seems the problems mount when your system gets overwhelmed with people who need oxygen or intensive care and the capacity is not there. This is what I would worry about with Ireland.

It's also not spreading despite Singapore being one of the most densely populated countries on the face of the earth.
    99 cases and it was one of the first to declare a case outside China.
    Compare that with Europe.

We suck at isolation / more draconian measures because we westerners are more accustomed to wide-ranging freedoms.
    Those freedoms will probably need to be curtailed to slow this down. And I do believe Europe will see higher infection rates than Asia as a direct result of the political failures to implement those sort of measures soon.

Inane example. I could work from home indefinitely. My job doesn't require my physical presence other than for meetings that could be teleconferenced and printing the occasional document. There would still need to be a warehouse staff, but over 100 office personnel could do the same - everything is remote desktop, they'd just need access.

It's laughable that our company would introduce work from home over this. It would be seen as unthinkable, not progressive. Anyone suggesting it will be laughed at until things get out of hand by which point the purpose of it happening en masse will be partially defeated.

Equally so, if the government was to promote it. They're be lambasted by employer groups and accused of scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Unbelievable that they won't warn people of the place this man is from, and his travel route. How long before this County is put on lockdown?
    Where is he from?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

I won’t be providing information on this thread to prove my credentials due to concern for doxing and how it may effect my employment , mod can pm me privately if they feel necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Researchers currently think that between five and 40 coronavirus cases in 1,000 will result in death, with a best guess of nine in 1,000 or about 1%

Italy, which I think we all can trust in as much as any country can be trusted, is 29 in 1,000.

However, they are about to do what China did and change the criteria to not include cases with no symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seems like this will be highly dependent on the available medical facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

the tinfoil hats are out in force now

504267.jpg

Cheers didn't know how to do that. Yeah the guy that sent it to me works in the hospital but i didn't want to spread misinformation without confirmation but looks like it could be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

tom1ie wrote: »
    This isn’t supposed to take the piss but if you ranked there’s on a scale of 1 to 10 what would it be.......now do Ireland’s.

I didn't have to experience their health system but here are some world rankings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization_ranking_of_health_systems_in_2000#Ranking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Drill maybe. Don't fall for the LCD ****e going around

what do you think was happening in the hours or days before the news of a confirmed case was released?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement