Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

glasso wrote: »
    did you vote Sinn Fein by any chance?

CCCP all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

theguzman wrote: »
    indefinitely, we have enough food to survive on our own here, we are entering warmer weather soon so the country could survive perfectly. If we had a functional Govt or a true leader he would ban flights in and pickup the phone to Arlene in the north to order the same, if she didn't cooperate dispatch the Army and Reserves to seal the border. Most people don't realise that this is the biggest crisis to face humanity, the global stockmarkets are weeks away from total collapse and the economy does not matter as this is bigger than it.

Okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

indefinitely, we have enough food to survive on our own here, we are entering warmer weather soon so the country could survive perfectly. If we had a functional Govt or a true leader he would ban flights in and pickup the phone to Arlene in the north to order the same, if she didn't cooperate dispatch the Army and Reserves to seal the border. Most people don't realise that this is the biggest crisis to face humanity, the global stockmarkets are weeks away from total collapse and the economy does not matter as this is bigger than it.

FFS, it's not ebola!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Close the border, set all the harbours on fire, dig up all runways.... hide underground!

Some of the responses are about as logical as a smoker buying a face mask to protect them from this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think you might have read world war z and taken it as an example.
    The above is not in any way practical or feasible and would be a huge overreaction.
    It also wouldn't likely stop corona virus from reaching Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

CCCP all the way.

You haven't voted for 29 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I wouldnt say it's the biggest crisis (Climate Change is), but once we get through the initial stages of this, it'll become clearer what the survival rates are.

If it stays at a 9% fatality rate, we are well and truly ****ed.

I reckon it'll go to 4%, even then that is a huge casualty rate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

cnocbui wrote: »
    FFS, it's not ebola!

in fairness it's actually more dangerous than Ebola in terms of absolute deaths likely (as opposed to mortality rate) as it's much more successful at spreading and harder to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

"These people (China) really care about their population" Dr Bruce Aylward

In short he explained what sort of resources he saw himself and that you are actually safer to get the virus in China then anywhere else because they are investing huge resources for their people.

Still Live now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF6AZv8P3i4

Mindset issues:

- Mindset Shift
    - Communities accepting Quarantine and isolation
    - Materially, are we ready to isolate that many people

"But we have to overcome it"..

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wouldnt say it's the biggest crisis (Climate Change is), but once we get through the initial stages of this, it'll become clearer what the survival rates are.

Where is the 9 percent figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Question re: asymptomatic carriers.

Do they eventually get sick and show symptoms? Or could they be spreading it without ever showing flu-like symptoms?

The reason I ask is that it's been reported by various media outlets that a colleague from our Milan office was positively diagnosed while being asymptomatic.

Some employees from our office were over in Milan last week and are back in our office today.

My main concern is picking this up and passing it on to my mother who has high blood pressure which I've seen mentioned as one of the pre-existing illnesses that can be particularly impacted.

Our company has cancelled all travel between the 2 offices but not much mention of those who've already been last week, and plenty more in the prior weeks (and that's business travel only, many of the Italians fly home at weekends and for midterm break last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Covid-19 will see 2020's emissions be reduced by several percentage points compared to previous years. China's biggest source of emissions in some cities in recent weeks has been their Crematoriums which are flat out. The death toll within China is many many multiples of the official figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

What was the name of that filim...?

asymptomatic means no symptoms.

may never develop symtoms

in China a person passed it on to 5 family members with still no symptoms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

gmisk wrote: »

Closed cases

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Given the FB stuff and the Examiner article the govt must issue clear statements quickly this evening. I’d expect by 6 at the latest. The issue of a media blackout if true is profoundly unsettling.
    I suspect it's because they are trying to co-ordinate things. There's no point in different strands of government not being joined up, and indeed potentially giving different advice/instructions/recommendations. They need to make sure everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet (and based on the same information which is rapidly evolving)

If there is a meeting this afternoon I would imagine we could expect announcements later today about any actions that may be taken or recommended

1234.png

macwal wrote: »
    What was the name of that filim...?
    World war z?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The hotel in Tenerife is being surrounded by police and nobody is allowed leave. Diamond Princess 2

Just found out my brother and his wife are currently in Tenerife for a holiday and they are about 2 miles from the locked down hotel, they told me they are OK and not too worry, so I'm hoping they will be OK. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,130 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

All air traffic in and out of the island of Ireland should be stopped immediately.
    What would you do with ferries? What if we then see food shortages?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gmisk wrote: »

Pulled it from here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

CLOSED CASES
    Cases which had an outcome:
    27,904 (91%)
    Recovered / Discharged
    2,707 (9%)
    Deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

The fatality rate is currently between 3-4%. Reading some of the garbage in this thread is more damaging to my health than COVID-19

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Closed cases
    Where?
    I see approx 2707 out of roughly 80k cases on most sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

1234.png

Told to stay quiet by who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

lunamoon wrote: »
    If people aren't showing symptoms for up to 2 weeks after exposure what's the point in screening them at airports?

Some might be displaying symptoms though. If even one person is identified as a carrier and isolated thereby preventing a potential 'super-spreader' within our borders, isn't it worth it?
    Less risk to us and especially frontline health staff .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Irish Government need to issue a statement like this NOW with lots of people just back or coming back from Italy post midbreak
    The four chief medical officers across the UK have updated their health advice for travellers returning from certain countries.

Anyone who has arrived in the UK from Iran, specific areas in Northern Italy and South Korea, plus the Hubei province in China, since 19 February is now advised to stay indoors and avoid contact with other people.

This guidance has been issued to people even if they do not have symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭brevity

It's all well and good saying the deaths only appear to be affecting elderly and immune compromised people but ANYONE can get it and spread it around.

Don't the elderly deserve to live? What about that 40 year old who is undergoing chemo? They've been told that their chances of surviving cancer are high only to get knocked down by Covid-19! Are they just cannon fodder too?

It's already been shown that super spreaders can be asymptomatic so telling people only to self isolate if they show symptoms is a ****ing cop out and it boils my blood.

Has the HSE bothered to update their website yet?

:mad:

Dead right. I’m on a immunosuppressant for a number of conditions. I’m sure there are others in a similar position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

JaCrispy wrote: »
    The fatality rate is currently between 3-4%. Reading some of the garbage in this thread is more damaging to my health than COVID-19

4% is still massive thats 1 dead in every 50 ffs!! I personally don't believe this will happen - but who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement